Sram Red BB30 Crankset Binding

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A strange problem.

I just installed a Wheels Manufacturing press fit 30 bottom bracket in my wife's new Focus Paralane. I have a first generation Sram Red BB30 crankset that I have installed but it binds at one point in the rotation.

It's definitely the drive side because if I remove the non-drive side arm it continues to bind until I tap it out a bit. The bottom bracket went in beautifully and square (I used the proper drifts and a good press). The bearings feel perfect to the touch.

I am not using any spacers, just the seals and the wave washer.

Any ideas? I am stumped and an internet search turned up nothing.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

salesguy

by salesguy

Check to be sure the bearings are fully pressed in. I have the same BB and my drifts bottom out on the BB shell before the bearing is fully seated. If you take an old bearing and place it between the drift and the new bearing, you can be sure the bearing will be all the way in. I had this happen the other day and once I had the bearing fully seated in the shell everything was perfect.

If it's a new BB and the bearings were already pressed in, check them anyway just to be sure.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Not sure why you would want to use some kind of drift to press in either a regular PF30 or a Wheels Mfg thread fit-style PF30 bottom bracket. A flat-face press, eg Park HSet Press, ensures you do not put any pressure on either of the bearings when pressing in. Perhaps the drift(s) damaged the bearing(s)?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Bearings are fine and yes, I used a flat "drift. FWIW you could use a drift that contacts the outer race of the bearing - that would work also.

Turns out the problem was that the spider was making contact with housing of the bb. I could space it out to clear but then the side-load would be to high when everything was tightened down. The solution was to sand down the paint around the spindle. I had to take off about one millimeter so I got into the carbon a bit. It spins smoothly now but that bb does have significant seal drag.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.