De Rosa finish quality

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gavdxb

by gavdxb

I've lusted after a De Rosa for a while - specifically the SK Pininfarina.

My local bike shop has one left and it is beautiful but has a couple of small blemishes.

Are these usual on De Rosa? The bike has been in the shop for a long time, is the last one they have left and, they have offered a 20% discount on the frame.

One is a slight chip but the other two look like poor quality finish - is it just "Italian charm"?

Overall it's still beautiful though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Thats nothing. If you want to see bad flaws, check out some Colango C60's.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I have seen worse on my brand new Pinarello's and Wilier's and think it's Italian and their interpretation of good quality. I still would buy them again.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

That looks like cannondale quality paint. If those are the only errors its not bad. A bit of colour matched paint or nail polish and you wouldn't even notice. That wedge bolt looks cheap as though.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jrdn

by jrdn

I own the same bike with disc brakes in blue, but not the luxury edition. Finish quality is somehow disappointing for the money you have to pay. At first I did wonder if I made the right choice, half a year later I truly don’t mind.

ak47

by ak47

I think they had quality problems a couple of years back. It doesn't look like they have made any improvements... But to be honest Colnago C60 has similar quality issues. Honestly if I would pay that much for a frameset I would look for handmade frame with perfect quality - like Parlee or similar.

gavdxb

by gavdxb

jrdn wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:59 am
Finish quality is somehow disappointing for the money you have to pay.
That was my first thought. The same LBS is a specialized dealer - all of their bikes are beautifully finished and 1/2 the price for the most part 0 but they aren't De Rosas.

DJT21

by DJT21

The quality looks poor, but I've not got much experience with bikes of this value; perhaps it's par for the course?

The frames are obviously nothing special, hence the huge discounts http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de-r ... d|646275UK

Can't believe the RRP is £3600 - you could get a Filament for that much!

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

As Ak47 said, I've seen a few DeRosa's with cracking paint over the past years that its put me off on buying any of their bikes. Beautifully colored though, thats for sure.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

DJT21 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:52 pm
The quality looks poor, but I've not got much experience with bikes of this value; perhaps it's par for the course?

The frames are obviously nothing special, hence the huge discounts http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/de-r ... d|646275UK

Can't believe the RRP is £3600 - you could get a Filament for that much!
Chain heavily discounted Colnago VR1 and VR2's last year too. Merlin has the Colnago C60 in the low $3K range. They must be crap too, right? Or perhaps the bike industry is heavily overpriced with "exotic" carbon bikes and components and needs to heavily discount overpriced "premium" bikes to reduce inventory?
BTW, my SK Pininfarina looks flawless as does my Oltre XR4. Funny thing is my buddies Madone 9, Project One has missing paint in multiple spots.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

uraz

by uraz

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:33 am
Chain heavily discounted Colnago VR1 and VR2's last year too. Merlin has the Colnago C60 in the low $3K range. They must be crap too, right?
There is nothing special or innovative about Colnago carbon frames. This brand is overhyped and overpriced but somehow they managed to build a fan base willing to pay premium for their products.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

uraz wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:30 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:33 am
Chain heavily discounted Colnago VR1 and VR2's last year too. Merlin has the Colnago C60 in the low $3K range. They must be crap too, right?
There is nothing special or innovative about Colnago carbon frames. This brand is overhyped and overpriced but somehow they managed to build a fan base willing to pay premium for their products.
Thanks. I'll be sure to consult you for my next purchase.

Seedster

by Seedster

^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to the original topic, I have rarely, if ever, encountered a flawless bike. I wouldnt let those minor blemishes deter you given the discount. It's a bike that will eventually get chips and marks that you will have to address or live with.

gavdxb

by gavdxb

Weirdly the frame they have seems to be the "luxury" model with the Pininfarina logos - exactly the same as the ones that ChainReaction are selling.

They LBS also have the Pininfarina branded wheels (which are Vision Metron 81's)

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Luxury, Black, Advanced, Limited, Gold/Platinum Edition = All synonymous marketing to get you to pay more for the same product but with a fancier paintjob and accessories.

Sorry, just couldn't help myself...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com