S-Works Romin Evo vs. Scoop Shallow/Flat

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

Hello everyone,

I really like my S-Works Romin Evo Saddle, but on very bad roads I sometimes wish for a bit more padding in the back, as the seat bones start to feel sore.

Would a Fabric Scoop Shallow or Flat be an option, how does the padding compare to the Romin Evo?

My LBS only had the Elite Radius saddles and those have a very thick, nearly 8mm padding, too much for a lower position as it will rub in the middle, I would guess.

The Romin Evo has maybe 3mm, how do the others compare?

Even the Scoop Flat is 176g, so 45g heavier and some of that weight should be in the padding. :noidea:

The Romin Evo Expert Gel could be what I need, but it's quite heavy:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/romin ... 137-132805

B.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

Hey Beaver

I was a big fan (still am really) of the S-Works Romin Evo as well. I found some of the same issues though that you describe with some sit bone soreness on long rides.

I went to Meld saddles - a custom saddle for about what you’d buy a Specialized for. My weight is much more evenly distributed over my entire “undercarriage” without any of the hotspot pressure points. Interestingly my ability to stay in the drops greatly increased on the Meld as well. The padding is a bit thinner but there is more built in flex in the saddle. Plus it’s very light.... Sorry, I don’t have an exact number....
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

silvalis

by silvalis

The shape of a romin evo is more like a radius. A regular romin is flatter, more like the shallow or flat.
Chasse patate

siauragama

by siauragama

silvalis wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:39 am
The shape of a romin evo is more like a radius. A regular romin is flatter, more like the shallow or flat.
Can confirm. I've used Romin Evo, Toupe and Scoop Flat - to me, Scoop Flat is nowhere near Romin Evo, more like Toupe, even flatter, also wider (both claim 142/143mm).
Can't tell much about the padding - I used the lower end versions (Expert/Elite level), they have some padding, but not too much (for me).

I was really suprised by Scoop Flat though - bought the lowest end (Elite) version just out of curiosity, really really liked it, so I'll be ordering Pro/Ultimate version now.
I do rotate pelvis forward and I was sceptical reading on Fabric website that this flat shape works well with pelvic rotation (as opposed to Fizik's approach). Turns out - it does work well, at least for me. I was further surprised that I didn't notice the absence of cutout on the Scoop.

sib

by sib

I can't compare the two, but ProBikeKit has the Scoop Shallow Team version on sale at the moment.
Mine came in at exactly 200g.

otoman

by otoman

otoman wrote:Hey Beaver

I was a big fan (still am really) of the S-Works Romin Evo as well. I found some of the same issues though that you describe with some sit bone soreness on long rides.

I went to Meld saddles - a custom saddle for about what you’d buy a Specialized for. My weight is much more evenly distributed over my entire “undercarriage” without any of the hotspot pressure points. Interestingly my ability to stay in the drops greatly increased on the Meld as well. The padding is a bit thinner but there is more built in flex in the saddle. Plus it’s very light.... Sorry, I don’t have an exact number....
I forgot to say that the Fabric scoop saddle that came stock on my SuperX did not work for me at all. Really like the Romin Evo, hated the Fabric. After much adjustment, just gave up and put a Romin Evo on.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

ODC

by ODC

I had the same issue and changed from romin evo to an s-works phenom. Normally it is an MTB saddle but no problems since i used it.

Beaver

by Beaver

otoman wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:26 pm
otoman wrote:Hey Beaver

I forgot to say that the Fabric scoop saddle that came stock on my SuperX did not work for me at all. Really like the Romin Evo, hated the Fabric. After much adjustment, just gave up and put a Romin Evo on.
That was the Scoop Shallow, so not as much curved as the Romin Evo? What exactely didn't fit?

Beaver

by Beaver

ODC wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:12 pm
I had the same issue and changed from romin evo to an s-works phenom. Normally it is an MTB saddle but no problems since i used it.
Both have padding grade 2 - is there a difference despite that? Or is the base more flexible or is it just the different shape with less curve...?

Edit: It looks like a little more padding, but the Scoop Shallow has even more:

And the Radius has too much, it seems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com