not sure if I should replace my 2011 Supersix HiMod

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theStig

by theStig

What's the consensus overall on this frame?

I currently have a 2011 himod (ui2, rotor cranks, DA chain/cassette, DA 9000 C24 tubeless wheels, 3T cockpit), around 7.2kg). I don't know if it's placebo, but it feels slower in every way compared to my 2010 Ridley Noah (SRAM red, very old Reynolds DV46 carbon clinchers with sapim cx rays, about the same weight).

The Ridley accelerates better, feels like it puts down power better, climbs better in and out of the saddle, and just overall _feels_ faster. I unfortunately don't have any real data. I'm about 90kg, and I sprint more than I climb, both bikes are ~56cm

1. is it the frame? or the wheels? or both? I had always thought the supersix had a reputation of being a "stiff" frame but it is nowhere close to my Noah. At least it doesn't feel it.

2. I don't have the budget to do another build right now (and I'm waiting for road disc setups to come down in price), but I'm thinking of swapping out the frame. Thinking of sourcing a used BMC Team Machine SLR01 or a Ridley Helium X/SLX (or maybe just an older Helium), or should i bother trying a newer Supersix Evo or Nano?

Would like to hear your opinions - thanks in advance!

Multebear

by Multebear

My 2012 supersix himod is the best bike I've ever ridden. Are you sure yours is a himod? I don't see the himod stickers on your fork and rear triangle.

If you feel a difference between the two bikes, then I'm pretty sure you'll feel the difference en wheels more than the difference in frames. I woulnd't replace a supersix unless you can replace it with something that is really better in any way. And I don't think there's is anything out there better than a supersix himod. There are frames, that are more aero/faster. But there aren't many frames that are stiffer and lighter.

The C24 wheels are known to be flexi. Especially if you put a lot of power out. An easy test would be to switch wheels between the two bikes. I think that would give you a completely different experience with the supersix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theStig

by theStig

thanks for the feedback.

I'm pretty sure the frame is a himod.. here's a couple more photos

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

The answer seems very simple and obvious: Two different breeds.

Ridley: aero frame, increased tube diameters, less compliant design, integrated seatpost, aero wheels
Dale: classic road frame, slimmer tubes, much smaller diameters on both tubes and seatpost, oh, and low-profile classy wheelset.

The former is of course feels more stiff and easier to accelerate. Keep in mind though, that harsher ride can also mask itself as feeling of "reactive" and "accelerating" :unbelievable:

Apples to oranges? Rather compare two similar bikes, not two completely different ones

srshaw

by srshaw

Be careful with the fizik saddle bag. Mine went flying the other day when the mount snapped. It had lasted quite a few years though. Love the 'dale!

Multebear

by Multebear

theStig wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:23 am

I'm pretty sure the frame is a himod.. here's a couple more photos
That's a himod alright.

Don't replace it. As mentioned you wont find anything better out there. Switch the wheels around and come back and tell us, if you still feel, it's going slow.

uraz

by uraz

You would have really hard time trying to find better frame than ss himod. Just use deep section wheels if you want more speed.
srshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:44 pm
Be careful with the fizik saddle bag. Mine went flying the other day when the mount snapped.
It was probably obeying velominati rules.
Last edited by uraz on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

For a 90kg sprinter, maybe an ultralight frame is not optimal to handle the power and torque you put out. It could be your riding style, or groupset/wheel maintenance but probably it's the frame.

Is it possible that the year model had a different manufacturing process that results in a less stiff frame? If so maybe try someone's newer super6.

Try your carbon wheels on the super6 to rule out the influence of alloy rims.

The current fit setup on the super6 appears more upright than the ridley. Have you tried to see if you can make them identical?

/a

glepore

by glepore

The Ridley might feel faster because it isn't as smooth as the Supersix. I have a pile of bikes, and if I could only have one it'd likely be the ss.

There are differences between the past and current version, but if you don't like the '11 you'll not likely like the current.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com