LEKKI8

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
C36

by C36

Heath wrote:I bought a set. Worst brakes ive ever used. Stay well clear if these things! Look incredible, amazing workmanship but they are such a weak brake! No power to stop on the flat let alone down a hill. So so dangerous. I have their old ones (titanium/alloy) now these are good! And only 163gms. They gave me my money back but it took 2 months!
Quite strange, tested the brake on a friends bike (so all setup was done) with Roval wheels (that never impressed me for braking) and it was a solid braking performance...
any setup / pad that could explain why you have such a different experience than others?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Ringo

by Ringo

Heath wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:52 am
I bought a set. Worst brakes ive ever used. Stay well clear if these things! Look incredible, amazing workmanship but they are such a weak brake! No power to stop on the flat let alone down a hill. So so dangerous. I have their old ones (titanium/alloy) now these are good! And only 163gms. They gave me my money back but it took 2 months!
Sorry but I have to ask some questions first:
Do you set them correctly?
What is your weight?
Also, Do you have any photo or receipt that proves you actually own a pair?
I don’t want to be a dick but I m really considering to buy them and I really want to know if they are good.
There are lots of guys who hate Ted..

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i have not tried the lekki8 but did have all other zero g brakes, and all have stopped superbly, just need to set up right. i am guessing that the brakes did not work properly because you need to use the brake shoes for narrow rims. if you do not use those brake shoes, it will barely grab the rim at all.

C36

by C36

Ringo wrote:
Heath wrote:
I bought a set. Worst brakes ive ever used. Stay well clear if these things! Look incredible, amazing workmanship but they are such a weak brake! No power to stop on the flat let alone down a hill. So so dangerous. I have their old ones (titanium/alloy) now these are good! And only 163gms. They gave me my money back but it took 2 months!
What is your weight?
I don’t want to be a dick but I m really considering to buy them and I really want to know if they are good.
No dogs in the fight (don’t own them) and tested them for like 10km descending. From my (short) experience:
- are they light? Yes
- what would I compare them to? EeBrakes for the weight
- are they the worse brake ever? Clearly no.
- are they better or worse then eeBrakes or Dura Ace... can’t say, too many variables and haven’t compared with same wheels and same pads. I might say that modulation was a bit on the low side... but I haven’t played with the cam.
- are they tricky to install, my friend says yes
- does setup impact performance : yes (initially he didn’t adjust the cam properly and braking was crap).

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

Heath

by Heath

Ringo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 pm
Heath wrote:
What is your weight?
68kg. Yes set them up perfectly. Im a mechanic and a qualified engineer. Its only a bicycle. Yes i have photos and receipt. Buy the old gravity zero ones, which I have. I set them up with new pads 3 types, new cables inners and outers. I spoke back and forth with Ted. Took about 6 months to get most of my money back

Pop

by Pop

Has anyone tried to install them with "link housing"???
I'm trying to adjust with Jagwire Elite Link Brake ser system, and it's impossible to get "two moving pads"...
(I've tries to cut the housing, but if I cut it too much, I'll have to buy another inline housing set...)ImageImage

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

have you tried to loosen the center bolt a little? sometimes that can bind one side of the brake

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I looked at a set. But I couldn't figure out why the pricing was all over the place. I think he had a sale at one point then it ended.

I just bought eebrakes instead. These do look cool though.

mattsurf

by mattsurf

I have installed with Jagwire Elite Link, and works fine. Both sides release
Were they difficult to install? No, but you need to follow instructions very carefully
How do they brake? absolutely fine, however, they are a little bit grabby, not an issue most of the time, however, sometimes when you grab the brakes in an emergency situation it can be a tiny bit unsettling. I think that this is due to the cam and non linear application. I live in Switzerland and have used them on some moderate descents, but not done any epic 2000m descents yet

Basically I ride my bike hard and fast and I don't make any special allowances for these brakes, therefore they do the job. I would add that when I ride my disc brake Canyon Ultimate, I do think "these disc brakes are nice", but it is more of an observation. When going out for a ride, my go to bike is the super light Cervelo R5 with Leikki 8 brakes, its just such a nice ride

theStig

by theStig

Do they stop? Yes. I'm 85kg and I can stop coming down a hill. That said, like I indicated in my post on the G20SL, they don't stop as well as any other brakeset i've owned (the best being DA 9000). They feel like the flex when I squeeze hard on the brake levers.

I've had similar issues getting the brakes centered.. after trimming my housing several times, I got it to the point where the front barely rubs, but after a few stops it doesn't rub.. (although it will start rubbing again at the beginning of the next ride.. weird)

For the record I'm running them on Ksyrium SLRs, which are super narrow. With a new set of exalith brake pads, I have the microcam adjustment maxed out. Front has good engagement, the rear has way too much travel for my liking.