LEKKI8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Sorry Uraqt but some of us aren't buying into this whole born again dog and pony show. If they really wanted to do the right thing, they'd peruse through their long list of emails and contact all of those individuals wronged on their own. Until proven otherwise, this is at best a PR play where they make things right with enough people to gain confidence of the internet to be able to sucker more money out of people. It's rather brilliant, spend a little money paying off a few people and then they will now defend him vocally on the forums boosting the confidence of those on the fence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

RyanH wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:11 am
Sorry Uraqt but some of us aren't buying into this whole born again dog and pony show. If they really wanted to do the right thing, they'd peruse through their long list of emails and contact all of those individuals wronged on their own. Until proven otherwise, this is at best a PR play where they make things right with enough people to gain confidence of the internet to be able to sucker more money out of people. It's rather brilliant, spend a little money paying off a few people and then they will now defend him vocally on the forums boosting the confidence of those on the fence.
How do you know they haven't? And "make things right with enough people to gain confidence of the internet to be able to sucker more money out of people" is too Machiavellian to be taken seriously. If Ted Ciamillo was that clever, he'd never have run into his prior issues.

I read their explanation about the business spiraling out of control due to financing issues in the midst of large demand on their website. It's very plausible. You can hear accounts like it on Shark Tank. Boeing, one of the best run companies in history, and based in the same area, had some similar over-demand issues in 1995-1997.

From what I can tell, their competitor, eecycles (I have a set of their brakes, they are fantastic) chose a different path. The brilliant (and from what I've read, well loved) engineer responsible for that brakeset simply did not take more orders when he could not product enough to meet demand. For a time, it was hard to get them. To solve the issue, the engineer outsourced or licensed his product to Cane Creek, which increased production (that's how I bought a set), which alsofreed him to do engineering. That was a smart and prudent move. In hindsight, Ciamillo should have taken a similar parth earlier. He's trying something like that now.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

dj97223

by dj97223

Personally, I think the brakes are ugly, and not worth either the weight savings or the risk of dealing with "the new Ted".
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

ak47

by ak47

RyanH wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:11 am
This opinion lacks impartiality which a moderator should have. It's just pure hate.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

It's not hate. Once bitten, twice shy...
And whoever said these are the lightest brakes needs to look at my 98g brakes

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

- The moderators have already been kind enough to let the brand have a chance to speak for/promote/defend themselves here. That's impartiality for you.

- There is no wrong in hating bad business practices. Taking money and not giving the goods is fraud. Fraud is a crime.

- If ciamillo indeed want to make things right, they need to find the people they have cheated, not expect these people to chase them for money (as they probably did a hundred times years ago)

- Some people have principles and don't want to support businesses who have cheated others in the past. Unless there is clear proof that they have compensated everyone, not supporting these businesses, no matter how amazing their products are, shows that you have strong morals and principles. This should be a commendable trait.

RyanH

by RyanH

^this.

And also, I have dealt with Ted in the past. Their story does not excuse what amounted to outright fraud in a lot of cases. It's very simple, taking money and never delivering a product is theft. Why should I be impartial or kind to thieves? And sorry, to say it was a poorly run company is not even close to accurate. They engaged in lies, told you product was shipped when it wasn't and whatever else they could do to keep your money.

I'm even more saddened that given his long, consistent and well documented history some are still willing to purchase products from him. As I said before, even if they were the best stoppers in the world and lighter than Ax, you should not purchase this on principal alone.

I'm sorry if this hurts anyone's feelings and somehow stating facts comes across as hate. I'm not doing this for myself, I already know I'd never give a penny to him again.

ZeroG
in the industry

by ZeroG

Thank you for the opportunity to extend reparations here on this forum. I am sorry for how long it took some of you to be compensated. I should have thrown in the towel when things became largely unmanageable; however, I did want to get things sorted and with little resources it took some time... had I liquidated right after the recession I could have sorted things quicker- this is how I would have done things differently.
I have come here now to please ask that you do not make any reference to "they" ... as my wife has been a part of the turn-around only. She has been working on customer service for only a few months. It was me who made bad decisions in the past and I am sorry for them. I have been working for the past eight years to get everyone sorted and yes, I have contacted those customers and made reparations ... Ewa is simply hoping that anyone missed may give me the opportunity to compensate them.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

RyanH wrote:^this.
They engaged in lies, told you product was shipped when it wasn't and whatever else they could do to keep your money.
Struggling is one thing, leaving the option open for people to keep giving you money without the capacity to deliver and faking tracking is outright fraud.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

EWA
in the industry

by EWA

dj97223 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:47 am
Personally, I think the brakes are ugly, and not worth either the weight savings or the risk of dealing with "the new Ted".
Judging by your avatar I'll take it as a compliment. Thank you for your input 😁

EWA
in the industry

by EWA

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 am
They engaged in lies, told you product was shipped when it wasn't and whatever else they could do to keep your money.
Struggling is one thing, leaving the option open for people to keep giving you money without the capacity to deliver and faking tracking is outright fraud.

Regarding capacity to deliver, now we take orders only when there is stock on hand. Regarding fraud, again, it's based in intent to take someones money with no intention to deliver....this was not the case.
Again, I am on ww to make sure that I am not missing anyone. Yes I am going through emails and contacting people as well.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’ve got no stake in this, but I have read the stories regarding past “business practices” and if it was just one or two unhappy customers complaining on the internet, that’s one thing. But it does appear that there was a lot of substantiated truth to those stories. I think your best chance going forward is just that, to go forward. Forget about posting on WW, it’s doing nothing to make you look better and only highlighting past mistakes. You’re not going to get the customers you’ve wronged back. Look forward to establishing better business practices and new relationships with new customers. But it still seems like you have thin resources to make a go of it. And spending way too much time trying to “fix” the past which is, the past. Concentrate on the future. Good luck. Perhaps a regular job would be less stressful for you both. There’s something to be said for that too.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

EWA
in the industry

by EWA

Again, i am here to make sure that no one slipped through the cracks, not to promote or to make my husband look good. My only intent in dealing with the past is to compensate customers who I might have missed through emails.

dj97223

by dj97223

EWA wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:38 pm
dj97223 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:47 am
Judging by your avatar I'll take it as a compliment. Thank you for your input 😁
Touche. :thumbup:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

EWA wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 am

Regarding capacity to deliver, now we take orders only when there is stock on hand. Regarding fraud, again, it's based in intent to take someones money with no intention to deliver....this was not the case.
Again, I am on ww to make sure that I am not missing anyone. Yes I am going through emails and contacting people as well.
So what is it when tracking was lied about time and time and time again? The fact that you can only order when stock is available is a step forward but you cant blame many of us for being sceptical when lie after lie was told for years.

Using Tapatalk