Latex Tube Crinkle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tabl10s

by tabl10s

JScycle wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:28 am
alcatraz wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm
Another thing is to put air in the tube before mounting it. Install the opposite end of the tube (from the valve) first and make sure it's not twisted.

This method together with abundant use of powder helps to seat the tube straight and evenly. :)

I'm crazy with the talcum powder. I put it on the rim bed, inside the tires and on the tube. :lol:
Thanks, I do everything you say here but I could be more liberal with the talcum powder. Is baby powder the same thing?
jasjas wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 pm
Latex on DA c24 wheels with separate rim tape, heaps of talc, still get these wrinkles.
Latex on Fulcrum Zeros with a solid rim bed and no tape, loads of talc, no wrinkles,
both with Veloflex Corsa tires.

I wondered whether its movement in the rim tape causing it?
Or it may be more the movement of the tube across the spoke holes causing little digging.
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm
Try replacing rim tape with "Veloplugs" and see if it helps.
I'll add that to my list of things to buy. As long as it's safe to use the tubes as I am (with extra powder)
Talcum = Baby powder.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

MikeD

by MikeD

JScycle wrote:Hey,
Does anyone know why my latex tubes did this?
Thought I would test some brand new latex tubes on my race tyres before my first race on them.
Ride went well, front tyre was surprisingly grippy but kind of noisy. (not used to corsas).
Switched back to my normal/training GP4000SII today and the latex tubes looked like this (photo attached)
Can anyone explain this?
I think it's normal. My Challenge tubes looked worse. That's one reason I switched back to butyl tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Latex tubes in carbon rims often melt or deform due to heat build up. If you’re braking on carbon and latex in hot weather you’ll often flat.
Looks like the inner tube has melted on a hot part of the rim.
I’m guessing it’s a carbon wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

That's a myth, carbon doesn't conduct heat well so the temperature never reaches the rim bed.

You don't flat more in hot weather either.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

OMG. It didn't "melt" on a "hot part" of the rim.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

1415chris

by 1415chris

As stated above it is quite normal with latex tubs. Rims' material has nothing to to with it.
Since I starded using latex tubs, about 8 years ago, almost all tubes from different brands developed such wrinkles.
They were used with rim strips, variety of rim tapes (strapping, kapton, Stan, Tesa) even with veloplugs covered with electric tape.
Aluminium rims with no chance of overheating, which could caused latex to fail. Speaking of overheating, couple of years ago when riding on Tenerife, I had accident towards the end of quite short but very steep descent. One of those small quiet village roads ending with T- junction, where you just have to stop.
The steepest section was at very bottom, which was at the roads' junction. Long story short, 2-3m from reaching the bottom front tyre deflated instantly with me going down.
Involved setup: Archetype, red Veloplugs, electric tape and Vredestein inner tubes. And just for the information purposes, tyres Veloflex Corsa or Vittoria Pave (don't remember).
After inspection I found one of the veloplugs melted on the edges and squeezed into the rim. Electric tape was very soft. So there must have been high temperature involved. Latex tube failed only at the spoke hole where there was no longer any hole cover. Electric tape was too streched and soft to suppoet the tube.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Marin wrote:That's a myth, carbon doesn't conduct heat well so the temperature never reaches the rim bed.

You don't flat more in hot weather either.
I worked at a cycle company/shop and we had our brand carbon wheels with Gigantex rims. Over the years we had quite a few lates tubes melt or deform due to heat.
Our team riders eventually stopped using them. They were ridden by riders with national and world titles and by riders who’ve ridden at world tour level.
The specific rims we used at different times all had problems with latex and heat.
I can only speak for mid level rims and not anything by Zipp or Enve etc.

JScycle

by JScycle

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:19 pm
Latex tubes in carbon rims often melt or deform due to heat build up. If you’re braking on carbon and latex in hot weather you’ll often flat.
Looks like the inner tube has melted on a hot part of the rim.
I’m guessing it’s a carbon wheel.

No it was an aluminium rim and the tube was only a ride or two old

JoO

by JoO

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm
Try replacing rim tape with "Veloplugs" and see if it helps.
I had a few punctures with vredestein latex inners after changing my rim tape to veloplugs.
I added 1 layer of paper masking tape to cover those sharp edges.

no punctures anymore after that.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Veloplugs were designed for traditional narrow rim and don’t fit well in modern tubeless compatible rim.
I have been using Vittoria latex with Stan’s rim tape and Rema tire talc www.jensonusa.com/Rema-Tire-Talc and they have not stretched and look new.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder