Latex Tube Crinkle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JScycle

by JScycle

Hey,
Does anyone know why my latex tubes did this?
Thought I would test some brand new latex tubes on my race tyres before my first race on them.
Ride went well, front tyre was surprisingly grippy but kind of noisy. (not used to corsas).
Switched back to my normal/training GP4000SII today and the latex tubes looked like this (photo attached)
Can anyone explain this?
Attachments
Latex tube
Latex tube

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Are you using smooth rim tape? The tube stretches a bit more there. Not a problem, I run latex in 4 wheelsets and all my tubes look like this.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Do you use talc powder ? It seem not. It's essential with latex tube: talc on the tube and inside the tire.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The tube has been folded onto itself. not a real issue, but please use talcum powder like the previous poster said. If you want to get your latex tubes out of your horrible GP4000's in a month or so, you might rip them to shreds as they have got stuck to the vulcanized rubber.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Marin

by Marin

Before install, I'm putting every tube into a plastic bag with talc and shake until the tube is fully covered.

In my opinion, this contributes to the above effect since it will slip even more on a smooth tubeless type rim tape.

JScycle

by JScycle

Thanks everyone for your comments. Applied talcum before I posted this.
Im using butyl on the GP4000SII and latex on my corsas.
Was just shocked to see this, will apply extra talcum before I fit them next

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Another thing is to put air in the tube before mounting it. Install the opposite end of the tube (from the valve) first and make sure it's not twisted.

This method together with abundant use of powder helps to seat the tube straight and evenly. :)

I'm crazy with the talcum powder. I put it on the rim bed, inside the tires and on the tube. :lol:

1415chris

by 1415chris

I think it is due to the latex nature. It looks to me like this section of tube is a bit thinner. And after streaching it doesn't come back to it's oryginal shape, if you know what I mean...
Vittoria tubes are notorious for getting bigger and bigger with the time they are used.
Every time I'm changing tyres with these tubes and reinstalling them I wish I had few inches bigger wheels to accommodate extra streched tube ;)
As I remember all my latex tubes (five different brands) had more or less these kind of wrinkles. As my memory serves me well I have never installed latex tube without a talcum powder.

jasjas

by jasjas

Latex on DA c24 wheels with separate rim tape, heaps of talc, still get these wrinkles.
Latex on Fulcrum Zeros with a solid rim bed and no tape, loads of talc, no wrinkles,
both with Veloflex Corsa tires.

I wondered whether its movement in the rim tape causing it?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Try replacing rim tape with "Veloplugs" and see if it helps.

JScycle

by JScycle

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:57 pm
Another thing is to put air in the tube before mounting it. Install the opposite end of the tube (from the valve) first and make sure it's not twisted.

This method together with abundant use of powder helps to seat the tube straight and evenly. :)

I'm crazy with the talcum powder. I put it on the rim bed, inside the tires and on the tube. :lol:
Thanks, I do everything you say here but I could be more liberal with the talcum powder. Is baby powder the same thing?
jasjas wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 pm
Latex on DA c24 wheels with separate rim tape, heaps of talc, still get these wrinkles.
Latex on Fulcrum Zeros with a solid rim bed and no tape, loads of talc, no wrinkles,
both with Veloflex Corsa tires.

I wondered whether its movement in the rim tape causing it?
Or it may be more the movement of the tube across the spoke holes causing little digging.
Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm
I'll add that to my list of things to buy. As long as it's safe to use the tubes as I am (with extra powder)

uraz

by uraz

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 pm
It's even worse with veloplugs

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Strange,
I've never seen those marks on my (Michelin) latex tube on Veloplugged wheelsets.

TonyM

by TonyM

More than this with the Vredestein latex tubes.
Less than this with the Michelin latex tubes.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Michelin is the thickest of all the latex tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com