Zipp SL70 aero vs. ENVE SES aero handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RamirezB

by RamirezB

Hello! Right now I'm thinking about buying an aero handlebar, but I'm not sure whether to buy a Zipp SL70 aero or an ENVE SES Aero. What do you recommend?
Attachments
56C841C4-E4BE-45B2-86DE-A49ED3F60EBA.jpeg
25CA038A-77FF-4BF1-AA19-416F216F5434.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Enve. The newer graphics are much nice too.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

wingguy

by wingguy

The major difference is the flare from hoods to drops. If you want to try a really narrow hood position go with the Enve, if you don't go with the Zipp.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

They are pretty different.
Clamp area: Zipp provide a lot more, you can mount accesseries. Enve extend the aero section right close to stem claming spot.

"Sizes":
Zipp state size in C-C on hood, it flare 4 degrees.
So a Size 40 Zipp is 40cm on hood and ~41.5cm in drop.

Enve state size (of the SES aero) in C-C in drop. it flare 12 gegrees.
So a Size 42 Enve is 37.5cm on hood and 42cm in drop.

As it is very different, it's pretty easy to select base on size you want.

PS. another option,
Specialized Aero Fly, size 42 is 42cm on hood and 42cm in drop, no flare. Also have no space to mount any accessery like the Enve.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I had back to back cracked Vision Metron 5D integrated bars on two different bike in a matter of weeks. Both bars were virtually new. This morning I asked for a refund and ordered the new Env SES aero bar and new aero stem. Unfortunately the stem wont is backordered until late July.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

jacobeh

by jacobeh

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 am
I had back to back cracked Vision Metron 5D integrated bars on two different bike in a matter of weeks. Both bars were virtually new. This morning I asked for a refund and ordered the new Env SES aero bar and new aero stem. Unfortunately the stem wont is backordered until late July.
Is that for your De Rosa or Bianchi? I'm contemplating getting the Enve's myself for my Bianchi XR4 - also currently running the Vision 5Ds but the stem is a bit too short for me and I don't want wider bars so this looks like an interesting replacement.

Shrike

by Shrike

Been on the Zipp's (40cm, in the new black colourway) for about 6 months now. Didn't like the drop shape at first, but have gotten used to it. Felt like it was awkward no matter where I put my hands for a while. Still don't think it's great, for me anyway. Much preferred the shape of the Cervelo aero bars, but they're shallower than the Zipps and Cervelo mounting options are pathetic.

Waiting to see how spendy the new ENVE stem is then will move over to a full ENVE cockpit if I can get both stem and 38cm bars at decent discount at some point. The ENVE drop bar shape looks more like I was used to with the Cervelo ones.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

jacobeh wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:37 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
Is that for your De Rosa or Bianchi? I'm contemplating getting the Enve's myself for my Bianchi XR4 - also currently running the Vision 5Ds but the stem is a bit too short for me and I don't want wider bars so this looks like an interesting replacement.
Both! BTW, I was told by an Enve rep that they will be coming out with an integrated bar soon.
Last edited by Noctiluxx on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Shrike

by Shrike

ENVE integrated bars?

That would be sick :P

C36

by C36

Shrike wrote:ENVE integrated bars?

That would be sick Image
That will be heavy and ridiculously expensive Image
For a long time i dont see an enve accessory attractive. Seat post are heavy and prone to issues, stems are heavy, the aero stem worse, the hubs have issues and cost a liver... I wish that for that price we had something worth (canyon combo is 350€ and 330g).
Closing the sidetrack... the Ses aero bar is the exception to this list, its geometry is really smart, more aero on the hoods and fantastic to sprint, quite unique

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

upside

by upside

I have the Zipps and I find I can mount my Garmin Out Front and also a head light. The only feature I do not not as much as the Easton's is the drops. The Zipp's unlike most other aero bars is there is no area to mount any stuff.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

upside wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:56 am
I have the Zipps and I find I can mount my Garmin Out Front and also a head light. The only feature I do not not as much as the Easton's is the drops. The Zipp's unlike most other aero bars is there is no area to mount any stuff.
You can mount a Garmin mount on the front cap of the Enve stem. It looks a lot cleaner than mounting it on a bar.

jacobeh

by jacobeh

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm
jacobeh wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
Both! BTW, I was told by an Enve rep that they will be coming out with an integrated bar soon.
Nice, I would very much like to see some photos of how it looks on the Bianchi. Fully integrated is nice, but I'm running eTap so it's not really a must for me in terms of hiding cables/di2 etc. - I mostly went for the Vision's because of the graphics matching the Bianchi :lol:

Shrike

by Shrike

Noctiluxx wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm
jacobeh wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
Thinking about this again.. do you think your rep meant this, which has just been released. And not a 'one-piece' bar/stem.

https://enve.com/products/aero-road-stem/

This is the new aero stem coupled with their bars and new aero mount. Some people would describe this sort of thing as being integrated, which I can understand, but can cause a bit of confusion.

In their marketing for this system, ENVE take a dig at one-piece cockpits, so I'm thinking that it's not on the cards at the moment.

FIT IS FAST
The SES Aero Road Stem is adjustable for angle or length to help you achieve your most efficient position for power output and overall aerodynamics. Marginal gains are all very well so long as you’re addressing the object causing over 80% of the total drag – you.

The current trend for one-piece handlebar and stem combinations on aero road bikes takes, at best, a hollow victory in the battle against the wind. It can, when done right, save a few grams of drag, but it always comes at the cost of all adjustability and options.

You know what’s really fast? Having your bike fit you perfectly, being in an aero position that you can sustain for hours, and reducing your own frontal area. The SES Aero Road Stem comes with two shims with which to tune your position, and each can be installed in two ways. The first can be used to tune bar height and offers angles of -7˚ or -17˚, with the length unchanged; the second shim allows you to tune the length by +/-2.5mm, with the angle set at -12.5˚. It isn’t about simply getting your position low and long, it’s about getting your position right.

https://enve.com/journal/how-the-ses-ae ... ou-faster/

fluoroller

by fluoroller

I'm thinking of getting the ENVE aero handlebar, but am wondering how its mechanical routing is. I heard the latest version of this bar has improved cable routing. Anyone have experience with this? Is the cable route decently smooth? Will it affect shift quality or cause early frayed cables?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com