Madone 9 seat post and Fizik 7x9 carbon rails...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Sent my Madone 9rsl in for warranty due to paint chipping and creaking issues. Upon breaking down the bike, I discovered my fizik Aliante 7x9 rails took a beating. One rail the outer wrap is completely torn off, the other rail has a lengthwise crack.

Trek's clamps are marked as 7x10. I actually checked with Trek's tech folks before mating the two and they said it should be no problem. anyone else using this combo? thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

For my Emonda I didn’t use the Fizik saddle but the Specialized Romin Pro I like has 7x9 rails. At first I just used the 7x10 ears and the fit wasn’t great but I seemed to get it tight enough to hold ok. But when I found out Trek made 7x9 ears I got those and the fit was much much better. I guess though that those ears don’t fit the Madone seatclamp?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Rich_W wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm
Sent my Madone 9rsl in for warranty due to paint chipping and creaking issues. Upon breaking down the bike, I discovered my fizik Aliante 7x9 rails took a beating. One rail the outer wrap is completely torn off, the other rail has a lengthwise crack.

Trek's clamps are marked as 7x10. I actually checked with Trek's tech folks before mating the two and they said it should be no problem. anyone else using this combo? thoughts?
Are you sure your saddle was not the creaking issue?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^Good point.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Fisherfreerider wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 pm
Are you sure your saddle was not the creaking issue?
You think? :D .... :roll:

Here's what I think is going on with the isospeed decoupler. Bearings under the caps were never able to fully seat. maybe extra material from the molding process... maybe dried paint in there... you can actually see how the bearing is not flush. The resulted in the snap-on caps, which are held on by a ridge on the bolt head, never being fully tight. Always moving an rattling. Also the bolt came loose consistently.

Then one day I get back from a ride, look down and my bike looks like this. Cap gone and little chunk of paint and carbon. That little notch there is 2-3 mm deep.
IMG_7470.JPG

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:57 pm
But when I found out Trek made 7x9 ears I got those and the fit was much much better. I guess though that those ears don’t fit the Madone seatclamp?
They're telling me 7x9 does not exist.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

For the Madone I think that's true. The seat clamp is different. I've seen other threads with people having the same issue. For the seat masts on the Emondas and Domanes for example, they have some 7x9 clamps, in addition to the 7x7 round and 7x10 clamps.

The isospeed linkage looks more complex and quite different than on my Koppenberg, which is really a relatively simple affair. From what you say, the creak etc could certainly be coming from there, hard to say... think you're doing the right thing in letting Trek deal with it. The rattling you describe would annoy the hell out of me.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:25 pm
The rattling you describe would annoy the hell out of me.
Once the caps were gone (was riding it that way for the week) most the noise was gone as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Shouldn’t have to remove the caps to get rid of the noise. So yes, let Trek fix it. The whole linkage system of the Madone is not as intuitively simple to me as it is on the Domanes prior to the latest version. This could be because I’ve just not worked on one of the new Madones to know it intimately, but on the Domanes the linkage was essentially nothing more than bushing/bearing linking the seattube (all one piece) with the combined seatstays and toptube. The whole thing just sort of flexes slightly together. There’s no adjustable slider. No separation of structure with a separate pivoting seatpost within it. It was just simple and it works. Too many parts all moving about in the same area is a recipe for rubs, knocks and creaks in my opinion.