BMC TimeMachine Road 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TommyGunz

by TommyGunz

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm
Ettore wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 am
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:48 pm
I'm still waiting... LBS said April now.. full bike would be sooner (but $$$$) With my saddle height only being around 69cm.. I'll have next to no seatpost showing on a 51..not a good look. The spacers arent a good look either but it's preferred over the alternative for me.
It has the most extreme stack and reach of all BMC platforms, it's not for everyone. Glad you can still fit okay on a 47.
no kidding.. it is an odd one.
Going back to the earlier comment about spacers, I just noticed the SystemSix Aero bike reviewed by Simon of GCN also have a bunch of spacers on the setup. Then again on the BikeRadar Timemachine test bike.

I wonder if it's by design to be more aero? Or angle of the bike's top tube to make it more aero, then making it have more steerer tube showing...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190219-205553_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190219-205538_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20190219-211254_Chrome.jpg
2019 BMC TimeMachine Road 01
2018 BMC RoadMachine 02 Two
2018 Canyon Grail

by Weenie

TiCass

by TiCass

Yeah I believe that the the combo "horizontal stem + lots of spacers" is more aero than regular stem with less spacers.

Also, I did some research to see what other manufacturers recommended as spacers limit. In the case of the Cervelo S3 2019, it's 4 cm. I couldn't find it for BMC. My main concern was the safety aspect of that type of setup. It looks a bit goofy, certainly not the stiffest setup, but as long as it's safe... it's fine.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I case the case of aero bike reviews... you are seeing the spacers mainly because they are not allowed to cut the steerer.

Ettore

by Ettore

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:52 am
I case the case of aero bike reviews... you are seeing the spacers mainly because they are not allowed to cut the steerer.
But on the BMC one can simply undo two bolts, remove spacers from underneath the stem and add some round ones on top, if they want to get to their preferred stack and reach.

Calnago

by Calnago

When I see stuff like this I just want to peek inside to see where waterflow goes when it gets in there, and it will get in there. Can it somehow make its way to the bearings? Either directly or by dripping down the walls and into the bearing seats? Or pool up somewhere that could start the corrosion process?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ettore wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:17 am
spdntrxi wrote:
But on the BMC one can simply undo two bolts, remove spacers from underneath the stem and add some round ones on top, if they want to get to their preferred stack and reach.
pick your poison... I still think the bike with photograph better then spacers on the bottom vs top

Ettore

by Ettore

spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:31 pm
Ettore wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:17 am
spdntrxi wrote:
pick your poison... I still think the bike with photograph better then spacers on the bottom vs top
I totally agree, I just don't understand why journalists wouldn't try to get their best fit, if it's so simple. They can, and they don't have to cut the steerer.

Jugi

by Jugi

I assume when the test ride takes place on a ”test event” put together by the manufacturer, the mileage ridden doesn’t add up to very much and it’s both the manufacturer’s and publication’s interest to have the product looking ”tidy” in all pictures and videos made during the event. Therefore it might be best practice to keep adjustments quite rudimentary, and the bikes looking close to how they appear in manufacturer’s own material.

It seems sometimes journalists do get to keep and long term test some bikes for months. In that case, it would be more than reasonable to have the fit dialed in completely.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Calnago wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm
When I see stuff like this I just want to peek inside to see where waterflow goes when it gets in there, and it will get in there. Can it somehow make its way to the bearings? Either directly or by dripping down the walls and into the bearing seats? Or pool up somewhere that could start the corrosion process?
Water that gets into that part of the frame is routed down the fork and out of a pre-drilled hole.

TommyGunz

by TommyGunz

Calnago wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm
From CGN around the 1:20 mark answers this question. Either comes out from the bottom bracket and/or holes on the frame for cable routing, and/or holes on chain stay. It works its way out. Not a lot of water usually pools in but if necessary, remove seatpost and flip frame.

https://youtu.be/HQBSzeaBspg
2018 Canyon Grail

TommyGunz

by TommyGunz

spdntrxi wrote:
Here's another one. Giacomo Nizzolo of Team Dimension Data after his win of the sprint stage yesterday. I'd say the tall steerer tube/spacers is also due to frame design.
Attachments
IMG_20190221_073725.jpg
2018 Canyon Grail

Ettore

by Ettore

TommyGunz wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Here's another one. Giacomo Nizzolo of Team Dimension Data after his win of the sprint stage yesterday. I'd say the tall steerer tube/spacers is also due to frame design.
The stack is -10mm compared to SLR, to accomodate extreme positions.

JLBSLR

by JLBSLR

The the aero ICS stem has a lower stack compared to the regular ICS stem. It’s also -15 deg compared to -12mm. With the less frame stack this would explain the extra spacers compared to what they would ride on the TeamMachine

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TommyGunz wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
mine will certainly look about like that.

by Weenie

TommyGunz

by TommyGunz

JLBSLR wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 am
The the aero ICS stem has a lower stack compared to the regular ICS stem. It’s also -15 deg compared to -12mm. With the less frame stack this would explain the extra spacers compared to what they would ride on the TeamMachine
I agree. This seems to be the case.
2018 Canyon Grail