BMC TimeMachine Road 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

somewhat surprised at frame weight... it's over 1kg @ 1042g... Fork is portly as well, but it's not cut yet @ 475g . Frame was weighed with hanger some rubber covers for Di2 most likely the seatpost binder weighs a ton. Still I dont see how a 54 is going to weigh 980g with all this stuff removed when mine is a 47. Stem is 220g (100mm) Seatpost is 193g which is not bad... but it's really short. Just tall enough for me so its ok. Atleast the thur axles end up light..at 54g for the pair. My 40cm bars are 233g.

I will get around to a build post eventually...

better be fast... frame / fork is heavier then my gravel bike :noidea:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Yup.. seems like the new timemachine is very porky. GCN weighed Dimension Data’s bike and one was like 7.8Kg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am
Yup.. seems like the new timemachine is very porky. GCN weighed Dimension Data’s bike and one was like 7.8Kg Image

my goal is 7.5ish.. honestly I dont know anymore :noidea: The video I watched it was 7.61kg which gave me hope.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

addictR1 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am
Yup.. seems like the new timemachine is very porky. GCN weighed Dimension Data’s bike and one was like 7.8Kg Image
7.85kg on tubs... but with Garmin and transponder.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

what video are you guys watching that I missed ? I watched Ryan Gibbons bike weigh in.. 7.61kg. 7:01 on the clock (no deep wheels)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

One thing I don't understand is why after all of the weight saving measures designing the TM, BMC elects to use such heavy saddle mounting hardware. The clamp hardware is super chunky compared to my RoadMachine and the main mounting bolt is huge! The setup is far heavier than what I've seen on other aero bikes (e.g Venge). To make matters worse, adjusting the saddle angle/fore/aft is a major PITA. Just a bad design overall IMO.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4 eTap
2019 BMC Timemachine Road 01 Di2
2018 BMC Roadmachine 02 Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

AlgaeHater wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:45 pm
One thing I don't understand is why after all of the weight saving measures designing the TM, BMC elects to use such heavy saddle mounting hardware. The clamp hardware is super chunky compared to my RoadMachine and the main mounting bolt is huge! The setup is far heavier than what I've seen on other aero bikes (e.g Venge). To make matters worse, adjusting the saddle angle/fore/aft is a major PITA. Just a bad design overall IMO.
yeah coming from a TimeMachine TT rig... very used to the clunkiness and large bolt. Adjusting for me is easy peasy...plenty of practice on the tri-rig. I will be looking into some weight saving parts.. still want a goal of 7.5kg.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:53 pm
AlgaeHater wrote:
yeah coming from a TimeMachine TT rig... very used to the clunkiness and large bolt. Adjusting for me is easy peasy...plenty of practice on the tri-rig. I will be looking into some weight saving parts.. still want a goal of 7.5kg.
That's exactly my issue. I can understand why heavy saddle mount hardware wouldn't be much of an issue on a TT bike where aero > weight, but why would BMC re-use this on an road bike. A bit disappointing for an otherwise innovative design.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I think this bike is still putting aero>weight
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

FYI.. the seat clamping paper weight weighs in @ 74g. The bolt alone is 17g :noidea:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

addictR1

by addictR1

AlgaeHater wrote:One thing I don't understand is why after all of the weight saving measures designing the TM, BMC elects to use such heavy saddle mounting hardware. The clamp hardware is super chunky compared to my RoadMachine and the main mounting bolt is huge! The setup is far heavier than what I've seen on other aero bikes (e.g Venge). To make matters worse, adjusting the saddle angle/fore/aft is a major PITA. Just a bad design overall IMO.
I agree.. I have a 17 TMR 02 and the seatpost clamp is a big chunk of metal. :(

Thought about getting the one piece seatpost plus saddle from DASH to save weight but $1K kills the deal.

Ettore

by Ettore

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:04 pm
I think this bike is still putting aero>weight
I think so too. It can be lighter, but it'll be less aero and less stiff when sprinting for the line.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

AlgaeHater wrote:
its a throwback to the original timemachine. this design gives you a ton of flexibility, though you are right the hardware is not light. the design is great for me, but as you say could be lighter. that bolt :D :D :D :D

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

Philbar72 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:56 pm
AlgaeHater wrote:
its a throwback to the original timemachine. this design gives you a ton of flexibility, though you are right the hardware is not light. the design is great for me, but as you say could be lighter. that bolt :D :D :D :D
Yes that is certainly an upside. It's a super aero post with three different mounting points to really get your setback dialed in. The mount is very reliable and rigid once set.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2

dorin

by dorin

I’m looking for aerobars solution, they’re super comfortable on long rides, looking at the METRON 4D FLAT M.A.S, it has integrated support for clip on.

NOW in order to keep all neat I’d like to keep the integrated option. One alternative would be to get the ICS Stem, instead of the aero one but the braking cables will be visible near the stem area.

I googled and I find mixed opinions, some even here on weightweenies, but does anyone has any experience with drilling a hole at the clamping area (diameter 1cm) that would allow the internal routing into the stem?

The metron 4d is strong enough allowing for clip on, the drill will not have corners (important for structural resistance), in theory should be fine but the idea freaks me out, anyone with experience on this or is it a hands down a dumb way to go?

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com