BMC TimeMachine Road 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Any idea if the ICS stem will fit the old TMR01? I love the look of the stem and bar combo, and even if the spacers wouldn't sit perfect on the headset cap, I'd still shoot for it.

Also, it looks as if the seat clamp is identical to the old version. I just ordered a Ti bolt to see if it'll fit. If it works nicely, might be a nice way to shave ~12g for about $13 USD.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:Any idea if the ICS stem will fit the old TMR01? I love the look of the stem and bar combo, and even if the spacers wouldn't sit perfect on the headset cap, I'd still shoot for it.

Also, it looks as if the seat clamp is identical to the old version. I just ordered a Ti bolt to see if it'll fit. If it works nicely, might be a nice way to shave ~12g for about $13 USD.
Let me know how the Ti bolt worked out. Would love to use it on my TMR02.

Likewise want to know more about the stem and aero pod. Would want to have that combo on my TMR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

addictR1 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:00 am
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:Any idea if the ICS stem will fit the old TMR01? I love the look of the stem and bar combo, and even if the spacers wouldn't sit perfect on the headset cap, I'd still shoot for it.

Likewise want to know more about the stem and aero pod. Would want to have that combo on my TMR

Will do! I figure any cross-generation support for the TMR platform should be beneficial to both parties. I'm getting my frame built by my local BMC dealer, so he should be able to get the parts in for testing. I believe the TMR and RM ICS stems are different, so we will try both and report back. They're also a specialized dealer, so we'll try out the Venge stem and bar combo as well, given the cable routing will work nicely with the front brake faring. That being said, the ICS is a much more refined execution (and much prefered aesthetically).

The only concern I've seen regarding the use of Titanium bolts is their tensile strength is lower than than the 12.9 steel bolt supplied OEM, but for the level of torque and direction of force that this bolt will take, even with a lower tensile strength, should be well within safety.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

addictR1

by addictR1

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm
addictR1 wrote:

Will do! I figure any cross-generation support for the TMR platform should be beneficial to both parties. I'm getting my frame built by my local BMC dealer, so he should be able to get the parts in for testing. I believe the TMR and RM ICS stems are different, so we will try both and report back. They're also a specialized dealer, so we'll try out the Venge stem and bar combo as well, given the cable routing will work nicely with the front brake faring. That being said, the ICS is a much more refined execution (and much prefered aesthetically).

The only concern I've seen regarding the use of Titanium bolts is their tensile strength is lower than than the 12.9 steel bolt supplied OEM, but for the level of torque and direction of force that this bolt will take, even with a lower tensile strength, should be well within safety.
thank you~~ look forward to the feedback from your LBS. if it fits, could i trouble you for the PN# so i can ask my LBS to order the stem, handlebar + aero bar combo?
as for the Ti bolt, yea... hopefully it should ok, plus i'm only 152lbs so should be ok. i had tried using another steel bolt with hex insert so i can properly torque it down, it would not grab and had to add another washer, which made it heavier than original. :(

Kazyole

by Kazyole

It's amazing how much not having the bottle module installed changes the look of the frame.

dorin

by dorin

Ok, ride report :)
Bike came out at 8.34kg (w speedplay x1, specialized spower saddle, 404 NSW, Conti 5000 clincher, tubolito) - rather porky, expected but still surprised to have it 2kg heavier than the ultimate cf slx (6.4kg). Ok, the aerobars alone have abt 500gr, but still, 2kg...

I’ll post some detail pics of the METRON vision 4D flat handlebar with the aerobars, nice integration.

What I didn’t take in consideration is the shape of the metron, slight forward, abt 3cm, this sets the shifters forward, resulting in slight stretch on the back, felt it after 8hrs yesterday...and I did use the 9cm long stem, hopefully I’ll bed in rather quickly ;)

Ride quality: feels fast, faster on flats, not yet sure how much slower on climbs, very stiff (compared to Ultimate), di2 is a pleasure (coming from etap - instant gear change, syncroshift is excellent, the top bottoms are amazing, I set them as etaps : Y left gear up, Y right gear down, X right chainring down, X left chain ring up. Still need to Feedle with the semi-sync as it doesn’t work.

Somehow disappointed, I expected it would be faster, compared to last ride done last year on the same 219km route), 10% more power, yet only 30min faster. I need more rides on routes I regularly do on the way to and after work to give a final verdict..

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

addictR1 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:17 pm
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:18 pm
addictR1 wrote:

thank you~~ look forward to the feedback from your LBS. if it fits, could i trouble you for the PN# so i can ask my LBS to order the stem, handlebar + aero bar combo?
as for the Ti bolt, yea... hopefully it should ok, plus i'm only 152lbs so should be ok. i had tried using another steel bolt with hex insert so i can properly torque it down, it would not grab and had to add another washer, which made it heavier than original. :(

Perfect. Fit. https://www.probolt-usa.com/titanium-du ... pec-1.html

ImageProbolt Seatpost Bolt BMC TMR01 (Timemachine Road 01)

Saddle Installed

Top view—plenty of access
No more spanners under the saddle

Side by Side: The steel bolt has slightly more threading, but I measured with my caliper and there's still 3-4 threads when installed with the Ti bolt still. No concerns there.

And if anyone was curious what a 2015 TMR01 frameset with uncut fork, cable runners, brake pads, and the Ti bolt weighs, here ya go: 2.2kg

addictR1

by addictR1

What’s the weight different between the Ti vs steel bolt?

Also, any update on if the aero bar and stem combo will work for previous generations TMR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

addictR1 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 pm
What’s the weight different between the Ti vs steel bolt?

Also, any update on if the aero bar and stem combo will work for previous generations TMR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No scale yet, but I'll report back.
Haven't made it over to the shop yet with the frame. Don't worry—all in due time. :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

link to this bolt (for the lazy)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

gzon

by gzon

Bike Radar test. As an owner of the bike I agree with most of the observations except perhaps being "very very firm". My impression is that the Timemachine Road is a fairly comfortable ride. Kills roadbuzz well, agree with reviewer.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... 01-review/

dorin

by dorin

gzon wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:24 am
Bike Radar test. As an owner of the bike I agree with most of the observations except perhaps being "very very firm". My impression is that the Timemachine Road is a fairly comfortable ride. Kills roadbuzz well, agree with reviewer.

Depends what he is used to. I went to TMRD01 after 3 yrs of Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and I can confirm the bike feels very very very stiff ;)
The Ultimate has a very soft seatpost, sometimes need to look to make sure i don’t have a flat, the TMRD01 requires some getting used to, especially the bum...:)

addictR1

by addictR1

dorin wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:54 am
gzon wrote:

Depends what he is used to. I went to TMRD01 after 3 yrs of Canyon Ultimate CF SLX and I can confirm the bike feels very very very stiff ;)
The Ultimate has a very soft seatpost, sometimes need to look to make sure i don’t have a flat, the TMRD01 requires some getting used to, especially the bum...:)
i concur with you on that. my TMR02 is the same. especially when running on veloflex sprinters 22mm, after a century ride, my lower back and bum felt like it's been ran over multiple times by a 18 wheeler. thinking to pull the sprinters off and put arenberg on for some comfy.

but climb wise, my TMR02 climbs faster than my addict r1. but it's probably not fair comparison since addict is 2011 and TMR02 is 2017.

Ettore

by Ettore

addictR1 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:39 pm
dorin wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:54 am
gzon wrote:

i concur with you on that. my TMR02 is the same. especially when running on veloflex sprinters 22mm, after a century ride, my lower back and bum felt like it's been ran over multiple times by a 18 wheeler. thinking to pull the sprinters off and put arenberg on for some comfy.

but climb wise, my TMR02 climbs faster than my addict r1. but it's probably not fair comparison since addict is 2011 and TMR02 is 2017.
You really cannot compare the old and the new TMR platform. It's a revision from the ground up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Ettore wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:42 pm

You really cannot compare the old and the new TMR platform. It's a revision from the ground up.
agree with this... lets stick to 2019 TimeMachine Road

for me, I've had to look at my rear tire to make sure it's not flat.. it's not a marshmellow like my 650x47 WTB on Enve G27 ofcourse, but so far not terrible,
On the BMC is Roval CLX50 on TurboCotton 26c
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package