New groupset time.....some questions.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Thanks for all the replies. I truly enjoy Campy. As noted, I have Chorus on my Fuji, and a mix of Chorus and Athena on my Cuevas. I do have Ultegra 6800 on my gravel bike and I have to admit that it works very well. With that said however, there are soooo many other bikes with Ultegra and to me it's just blah. Not too many bikes around here with Campy, which is a plus for me. I think I'd rule out Record or SR only due to cost. I feel that Chorus is the best bang for your buck within their lineup, but if the prices come down due to 12spd then I might give it a go.
Chorus EPS seems like it's hard to find from what I've seen, and I don't really know how the V2 differs from V3 offered in Record and SR EPS. I also don't have too much to go on regarding pricing either, so it may be out of the picture.

Regarding pedal PM, I'm a Speedplay fanboy and have them on all of my bikes, so I won't change over anytime soon.

Seems that Chorus is leading the pack here.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Two comments:
1. The newer Chorus mechanichal group is awesome. I recommend the medium cage regardless of the cassette you use -- but that also gives you the option of setting that bike up as a climbing bike. Note that it is very sensitive to hanger allignment.
2. A budget option for EPS is to but Athena shifters and derailleurs off of Ebay and a v2 battery and interface. There is little difference bewteen Athena and Chorus EPS. I have this setup on one of my bikes.
3. Operationally, there is no difference bewteeen v2 and v3 (or Chrorus/Athena vs Record/SR). v2 has an annoying extra plug for the charger and the battery is shaped differently. v3 (only compatible with record/SR) can talk to your garmin and has some other features.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigPoser

by BigPoser

joeyb1000 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:44 pm
Two comments:
1. The newer Chorus mechanichal group is awesome. I recommend the medium cage regardless of the cassette you use -- but that also gives you the option of setting that bike up as a climbing bike. Note that it is very sensitive to hanger allignment.
2. A budget option for EPS is to but Athena shifters and derailleurs off of Ebay and a v2 battery and interface. There is little difference bewteen Athena and Chorus EPS. I have this setup on one of my bikes.
3. Operationally, there is no difference bewteeen v2 and v3 (or Chrorus/Athena vs Record/SR). v2 has an annoying extra plug for the charger and the battery is shaped differently. v3 (only compatible with record/SR) can talk to your garmin and has some other features.
That's a good idea for sure. Do you have to pair Athena with itself or can you mix it with Chorus parts too (regarding the battery, interface and wires, etc)?

Also, will all V2 parts work together regardless if it's Record or Athena?

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Yes, you can mix and match Athena and Chorus EPS, and you can mix and match record and SR.

No, all the plugs on Athena/Chorus are different than Record/SR (I really hate that Campy did this). So, you will need a Chorus v2 Power Units and v2 Interface. And any Campy v2/v3 charger.

A lot of info here:
http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/camp ... l#comp-eps

BigPoser

by BigPoser

So I've decided to stay with Campy. Now I need to decide which group to get. A friend of mine owns a shop and can get me really good pricing. Each option will be without a crank since I'm going to get the Praxis Zayante carbon with P2M PM (which is $1000). So I can get Chorus for $700, Record for $1000 and Chorus EPS for $1500.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

My vote is Chorus mechanical with the medium cage rear.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Or perhaps wait to the new Record... this is how much the new SR is from Italy at the moment. Speaking to the shop today they said they expect Record around mid July.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

muti

by muti

As said,since you enjoy Campagnolo,I think you should wait for the new Record.Given the aggresive pricing policy of Campagnolo(at least in Europe),Ι would expect it to be actually retailing around 1600-1700 euros(1100-1200 euros without the crankset).

Miller

by Miller

joeyb1000 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm
No, all the plugs on Athena/Chorus are different than Record/SR (I really hate that Campy did this).
It is annoying. I guess Campag was trying to introduce some differentiation across ranges but it's an artificial way to do it. I suspect the underlying signalling is identical.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up ordering a mix of Chorus and Record parts and couldn't be happier.