Lightweight seatpost - any comfort?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Hi,

just watching many weightweenie builds here with super lightweight seatpost (around 120g) - Mcfk, Darimo...
How are they in terms of comfort? Aren´t they too stiff? Have you recognised any change in comfort or it is all about tyre pressure and comfort seatposts (Canyon VCLS, Ritchey Superlogic etc) not worth extra grams?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I can compare my Darimo T1 only to a twice as heavy setback open mold seatpost, but comfort-wise I felt no noticeable difference. If you look down during pedal effort you can see how Darimo flexes, so I wouldn't call it overly stiff, unless the exact same happens to any CF post.

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks, sounds promising..I now have Canyon VCLS seatpost (the Ultimate one), which is about 220g. As I would prefer zero setback seatpost, I just wonder, whether to go weightweenie way..if there are any downsides except for paying premium for that..

C36

by C36

Klaster1 wrote:I can compare my Darimo T1 only to a twice as heavy setback open mold seatpost, but comfort-wise I felt no noticeable difference. If you look down during pedal effort you can see how Darimo flexes, so I wouldn't call it overly stiff, unless the exact same happens to any CF post.
Interesting, I have quite a different feed back. From Cannondale Save to Darimo T1 I immediately felt an extra confort when I am really not someone hunting for more confort (and that very first ride I was 7+bars on 25mm tires, was expecting very good roads and hit few km of road being refurbished so cracks / rugosoty and gravel all over the place).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Darimo T1, padded Berk Lupina on Turbo Cotton 26 @ 90psi.. pretty comfy
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mike001100

by mike001100

I have a MCFK, and had an OEM Focus "dampening" post before...

I prefer the rigidity of the MCFK.

Beaver

by Beaver

The superlight seatposts flex very well, but the differences are not that high. What matters most, is how high your seatpost comes out of the frame:

The graph shows the deflection in mm - from left to right the extension is reduced, everything else stays the same.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ good point... my post is not very far out.. maybe 5+ inches at most... short legs -long torso
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

C36

by C36

Beaver wrote:The superlight seatposts flex very well, but the differences are not that high. What matters most, is how high your seatpost comes out of the frame:

The graph shows the deflection in mm - from left to right the extension is reduced, everything else stays the same.
That’s expected, assuming the seat post is an “homogenous beam”, déflexion should be proportional to the cube of its length (now a lot of carbon seatposts that have different wall thickness so won’t follow strictly this). Very short seatpost extension won’t see a lot of variation among different models, canyon request a minimum extension for their models to work.

Regarding my positive comment on the Darimo it’s with 163mm out of the frame.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com