Cervelo BBright Buying Advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Hi

I am buying a Cervelo R3 2017 frameset which has the standard BBright bottom bracket shell. I will be fitting a Sram Etap exogram chainset.

So my question is what bottom bracket to fit? What I really mean is which of the following list is most likely to ensure creak free performance. Most of the listed BBs feature a screw in interface e.g. Wheels Manufacturing, whilst the C Bear is push in both sides. The former seems like screwing in the non driveside cup puts more potential wear in to the carbon shell but does it give a better interface?

So the options are:

CBear

https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... o-sram-gxp

Wheels Manufacturing

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... black.html

Or

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... black.html

Enduro Bearings Torqtite

https://www.endurobearings.com/technology/torqtite/

BBinfinite

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bbr ... ectfit-gxp

Any others?

Cost isn’t really an issue but Ceramic Speed are difficult to justify if the above will work.

Will get my trusted LBS to fit but ideally solution should be straight forward to fit (and remove).

Thanks in advance.

jlok

by jlok

My friend used BBinfinite to eliminate the creaking noise on his last gen R3. He says it's real tight and the shop spent so much time install that bb but results were great. No noise.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jere

by Jere

Hi

I have 4 of Wheels Manufacturing bottom brackets in use so far so good.
About total of 17,000 in all miles by Strava Rain, Snow and no Maintance
Clean and use the lube they recommend on install
And I just used normal bearings not ceramic.
JB

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Honestly I've had 2 s3s and I've never had a creaking issue from bbright. Running Sram and rotor with no drama. If you're really worried about it I'd go for the wheels mfg one which threads into its self.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Chainset needs to be gxp to fit the frame. BB30 won't work.

wingguy

by wingguy

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:20 am
Actually any of the new removable spider Sram and Quarq BB30 chainsets will fit BBRight. The one piece carbon arm/spider ones don’t.

SgtRock

by SgtRock

It is GXP so that is not an issue.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

wingguy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 pm
alcatraz wrote:
Actually any of the new removable spider Sram and Quarq BB30 chainsets will fit BBRight. The one piece carbon arm/spider ones don’t.
OP wrote exogram so it's the onepiece.

wingguy

by wingguy

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 pm
wingguy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:28 pm
alcatraz wrote:
OP wrote exogram so it's the onepiece.
Actually the new removable spider Sram and Quarq BB30/386 chainsets are also called Exogram, so it could be either. It's basically Sram's name for hollow carbon :wink:

trex021

by trex021

I have both the Wheels Manufacturing screw together and a BB Infinite. The BB Infinite is amazing in the way it spins without a chain. That being said I can't tell a difference between the two when riding. Niether creak or click: they're perfect. The Wheels Mfg. screw together makes great sense as it can't exit out one side like the BB Infinite possibly could. RMerkle on this forum had that happen to his BB Infinite / Cervelo. I've not seen mine ever move and it has remained as amazingly friction free as the day I installed it 3 years ago. I have to admit I have more love for the BB Infinite but it maybe mostly in my head.
Last edited by trex021 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

wingguy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:57 pm
Yeah? Didn't know that. Thanks... :thumbup:

hambini

by hambini

I've got an S5 so it's the same bottom bracket standard.

In my experience, GXP can be quite problematic because it uses a fixed non drive end bearing for lateral deflection on left and right pedal strokes. This can cause it to microfret on the non drive side cup.

The solution I use is to put a small gap in the Non drive side spacer to make the crank effectively float and then shim on the drive side. This is the same method that a number of bike teams that I supply use. It results in much better bearing life.

I have some wordage about this here https://www.hambini.com/technical-suppo ... re=default

scroll down to crankset compatibility

Hope that helps

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Hi

Update on bottom bracket selection. Went with a Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket with angular contact bearings. After a couple of rides everything is smooth running and silent. Spin almost as well as ceramic. So happy days. Thanks for the advice.