Pinarello Gan RS - experiences and opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

octave

by octave

hey everyone,

i am looking to replace my 2012 scott foil team issue with a more modern aero bike. the gan rs has some aero qualities and an aesthetic i really like. plus, i can get a frameset in my size for a nice discount.

thus, i am curious about people's experiences with the gan rs. the original foil is a cool bike but after tasting done more modern frames (2015 scott addict , latest gen supersix evo hi-mod) i realized just how firm its ride is.

any comments are welcome! i am interested in the usual: compliance, stiffness, finish quality, handling, weight (of course)....

i had a 2011 pinarello paris and it had some of the best handling and high speed descending i have ever enjoyed. the geometry between it and the gan rs are identical i am pretty sure so just another reason the gan rs interests me.

thanks!

o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

You wont get many replies here. It seems like WW doesn't really like Pinarello. I asked a very similar question a few weeks ago before I got my Gan RS. I generally like it. It's a big upgrade from my 15 year old aluminum Guru. I haven't really tested it on the roads yet (been on trainer inside for the past 2 weeks). I will happily post here after I have a better report.

What color configuration are you looking at?

I have the La Rossa with Ultegra:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I have two GAN RS bikes, both are 2016 models. One has eTap (11-28), one has Di2 (11-32). Both have Quarq's. Both have Berk Lupina saddles. Both have normal Zipp bars (not running the MOST aero thing) Wonderful to ride in just about any situation. No creaks from the BB or seatpost, no paint issues, no nothing really. My only 'niggle' is that I think the forks are quite heavy and the headset bearings a bit goofy. Between the two, I'm probably running 8k-10k miles per year.

Currently looking at a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 with eTap --- simply because I want to try something different, but neither of the Pinarello's would be sold in the process.

octave

by octave

hey thanks for the responses!

harrisonk -- i am looking at the 2017 Maglia Nera colorway. just gorgeous. plus the giro is my favorite of the grand tours. yours is a nice looking bike! the ww crew probably don't like pina because their bikes are so heavy! :lol: also-- what size is your gan rs?

jackrussellracing -- what is the issue with the headset bearings? as far as fork weight-- i did notice in some other posts how heavy it was: 550 grams!? kinda unreal... but, then again, if my old paris was any indication, handling and ride quality seem the priority.

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

octave wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:08 am
hey thanks for the responses!

harrisonk -- i am looking at the 2017 Maglia Nera colorway. just gorgeous. plus the giro is my favorite of the grand tours. yours is a nice looking bike! the ww crew probably don't like pina because their bikes are so heavy! :lol: also-- what size is your gan rs?

jackrussellracing -- what is the issue with the headset bearings? as far as fork weight-- i did notice in some other posts how heavy it was: 550 grams!? kinda unreal... but, then again, if my old paris was any indication, handling and ride quality seem the priority.
I wanted the Maglia Nera. The distributor didn't have a 2017 in my size unfornately so I was stuck with the black and red (even though I don't really like red). The bike is definitely heavy. It's 17lbs with peddles and bottle cages. That's my only complaint about it. I'm going to swap the wheels for either Zip 202s or 404s to try to save some weight. I have a size 550. Be aware that there are a lot of fake Pinarellos out there. The shop I bought mine from has been selling this brand for 20 years. They've seen several fakes come into their shop without the owner knowing. Make sure to buy from a reputable shop and make sure to register the bike on Pinarello.com.

octave

by octave

yeah the shop i am thinking of buying from is a longtime pinarello dealer-- i certainly am wary of the chinarellos floating around out there!

how many CM of spacers are under your stem? i would also have a 55cm GAN RS frame, with 2cm plus the headset cover, so i am just trying to get an idea of what my setup would look like based on yours.

edit: actually looking more closely, it looks like that headset cover is 15mm? i need 30mm total so maybe i could get away with the headset cover plus just one 10mm spacer.

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

Not entirely sure. I know that each spacer is 1 cm, so I have 3 cm below my stem. That is, I can lower the stem 3 more cm, which I plan to do over the next few months.

smellymcfatfats

by smellymcfatfats

I built it in march of 2016 and have had no problems, it's a great bike. Stiff, light enough for me (16.8 lbs in 58cm) and i think it looks great. 30-60 miles a week for 2+ years and it's held up fine.
Last edited by smellymcfatfats on Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

I just put new wheels on my GAN RS. Big difference. This bike should come with carbon wheels.

yongkun

by yongkun

I have my Maglia Nera, have rode many bikes ranging from the top tier Lapierre, aluminium CAAD10, Trek, Colnago M10 - I love mine!

For sure you can feel it to be slightly porky and not too responsive on climbs, but on the flat or slight incline this thing is real fast and stiff. Comes with a draw back that it can be quite uncomfortable over poor roads and humps.

octave

by octave

@harrisonk - those new wheels look sweet! definitely at least an aesthetic improvement!

@yongkun - thanks for the feedback regarding ride quality-- i am sad to hear it is a bit rough over bad roads; i am looking for that magical unicorn of stiff-light-smooth. i had it in my 2016 cannondale supersix evo hi-mod but the frame got damaged by delta baggage handlers...

i do love the look of the maglia nera, though-- you haven't by chance any experience with the cannondale supersix evo hi-mod, and be able to compare?

yongkun

by yongkun

Nope, maybe my comment was abit harsh but it is noticeable as compared to my other bikes that it is so much stiffer and might be less forgiving at times. But hey it’s my perception and feel, could be wrong. Good luck!

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

Any update OP?

marcosimonegili

by marcosimonegili

HarrisonK wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 am
I just put new wheels on my GAN RS. Big difference. This bike should come with carbon wheels.
8) Super cool! I own the exact same bike and am planning on a wheel upgrade soon :beerchug:

marcosimonegili

by marcosimonegili

marcosimonegili wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:14 pm
HarrisonK wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 am
8) Super cool! I own the exact same bike and am planning on a wheel upgrade soon :beerchug:
Finally! I got these MAVIC Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST TDF wheels on my GAN RS!
IMG_20210214_183827_2.jpg
Weenie info:
- Pair w/o tires: 1490 grams
- Front w/o tires: 665 grams
- Rear w/o tires: 825 grams
Fitted with Yksion Pro UST tubeless 25.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com