SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

izza

by izza

crlincoln wrote:Has anyone heard anything about whether the Force version of 12 speed AXS will be released next month?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
News / trading embargo until 3/4. Ask your LBS after then and they update you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

izza wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 pm
crlincoln wrote:Has anyone heard anything about whether the Force version of 12 speed AXS will be released next month?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will there be any surprise about Force level power meter?

I'm thinking about either Force level PM or pedal based PM...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My guess is Force chainrings will have a real detachable spider like the 1x cranksets. My guess is also no Force level Quarq for now.

ill principe

by ill principe

izza wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks for the info, only ~10 days to go. Will not pull the trigger on Di2 8070 until I know more about Force eTap.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Short of using boat anchor casettes and alloy lever blades where are they going to cut money from force etap? Leave it 11 speed and make red etap redundant?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

btw, which pocket chain tool and wear checker do you recommend?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 am
Short of using boat anchor casettes and alloy lever blades where are they going to cut money from force etap? Leave it 11 speed and make red etap redundant?

Seems highly unlikely that it would be 11 speed, given SRAMs across the board commitment to making products with identical functionality, just different weights. But I'm struggling to see (besides machining costs around the chainrings) where those cost savings are going to come from. There were some interviews with SRAM tech people ~12-18 months ago saying they were targetting the motor cost, but at that stage Force etap wasn't going to be a thing because they simply couldn't get the prices down low enough on the motors to make product differentiation viable - ie. that the motor costs were dominating the overall system costs.

But realistically, if they're cutting costs on the motor relative to that of Red then the only way to do so would be by going downspec relative to that of Red etap, then there goes the identical functionality schtick anyway, so :noidea: That then leaves dropping down the costs of the other components, but, well, we come back to the original question of where are they going to save those costs.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The whole point of AXS seems to be interchangeability.

So my assumption is heavier derailleurs, no ceramic bearings in the pulleys, alloy cranks with 8-bolt interface and a detachable 4-bolt spider, heavier chainrings, a non-monoblock cassette. The cogs will still be permanently attached an alloy carrier.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

If they go Alloy cranks and Lever blades they've basically just made a glorified Rival groupset...

Using Tapatalk

ichobi

by ichobi

You guys will be surprised then.

robertbb

by robertbb

I'm hoping for a Force-level eTap 11s group, but think it's unlikely.

jlok

by jlok

Red eTap legacy online store price is catching up with the R8050. Consider that "Force 11 level" when Force eTap AXS is released.

robertbb

by robertbb

jlok wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:18 am
Red eTap legacy online store price is catching up with the R8050. Consider that "Force 11 level" when Force eTap AXS is released.
And what happens when you need to replace a derailleur...? Or shifters? Will SRAM keep making Red eTap components?

jlok

by jlok

Not sure what spares I need but there's always Ebay or sjscycles or sometimes bike-components.de

the last time I needed a spare was the famous Shimano bleed screw...

ooo

by ooo

'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com