SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rexyi1990 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 am
Although Etap AXS looks good, but I prefer Etap 11s, because I can still use my THM Clavicula SE crankset with it!

The crankset is the one piece that actually can be swapped out pending third-party chainring options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:09 am
rexyi1990 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 am
Although Etap AXS looks good, but I prefer Etap 11s, because I can still use my THM Clavicula SE crankset with it!

The crankset is the one piece that actually can be swapped out pending third-party chainring options.
yes, but it need time for third-party company to come up with their new product, so I think it's not a good time to change to Etap AXS...

Campervan

by Campervan

I am abuot to buy a new bike. Probaly a venge pro disc or a TMR. However I started looking at the 12sp from SRAM as I do prefer SRAM. However the infomation about replacing chainrings is that you have to send them back to be replaced to now making me look at the Venge or TMR instead.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

cerro

by cerro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm
AXS will have a different chain pitch interaction due to the different roller size. Put smaller rollers into those teeth and wear/chain suck is not going to be pretty....

The chain pitch is still .5” The only thing that happens with increased roller size is the gap between rollers shrinks. The distance between pins stays the same. Therefore you can just design a chainring with a tooth profile that probably suits both.
Aiming to get a Etap AXS 1x12 groupset and curious about this as I got a brand new Garbaruk chainring on my bike now. Tried today first with a Sram XX1 (like it over Red22) chain and then with an AXS chain on my Garbaruk chainring. Also tried both with a Sram X-Sync (11-speed) chainring and compared it with how it feels on a Sram Red AXS double crank. Can't find any difference and it seems to work fine to me? (just tried in a workstand as I didn't want to use a brand new chain from a brand new bike for real)

akaspin

by akaspin

cerro wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:15 pm
AXS will have a different chain pitch interaction due to the different roller size. Put smaller rollers into those teeth and wear/chain suck is not going to be pretty....

The chain pitch is still .5” The only thing that happens with increased roller size is the gap between rollers shrinks. The distance between pins stays the same. Therefore you can just design a chainring with a tooth profile that probably suits both.
Aiming to get a Etap AXS 1x12 groupset and curious about this as I got a brand new Garbaruk chainring on my bike now. Tried today first with a Sram XX1 (like it over Red22) chain and then with an AXS chain on my Garbaruk chainring. Also tried both with a Sram X-Sync (11-speed) chainring and compared it with how it feels on a Sram Red AXS double crank. Can't find any difference and it seems to work fine to me? (just tried in a workstand as I didn't want to use a brand new chain from a brand new bike for real)
Can you measure chain roller diameter and cassette pitch?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Would the deeper teeth not cause chain suck?
The pitch of the pins will be the same but the distance from roller to roller will be different meaning that one maybe 2 teath will engage the chain. I cant see how the non AXS chain will work with AXS road chainring teeth. The use of AXS Mtb parts with road levers seems to be based on the rear mech, casette and chain all being q mountain variant while the 1×road gear is a road casette, road chain and road chainring.
ImageImage
Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The road chainrings are designed for the bigger rollers, but that means chains with smaller rollers will still work because the distance from the trailing edge of each roller to the trailing edge of the next is the same. Just imagine a MTB chainring that has been sharktoothed from years of use. It still works even though the teeth have gotten thinner.

The distance from trailing edge to leading edge doesn’t matter except if the teeth don’t physicslly fit in between.

The reason why the Eagle chain can’t be used with an eTap cassette is the difference in cog pitch (each cog is closer together.) The Eagle chain is around 5.25mm wide while the eTap AXS chain is 5.0mm.

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:31 pm
The road chainrings are designed for the bigger rollers, but that means chains with smaller rollers will still work because the distance from the trailing edge of each roller to the trailing edge of the next is the same. Just imagine a MTB chainring that has been sharktoothed from years of use. It still works even though the teeth have gotten thinner.

The distance from trailing edge to leading edge doesn’t matter except if the teeth don’t physicslly fit in between.

The reason why the Eagle chain can’t be used with an eTap cassette is the difference in cog pitch (each cog is closer together.) The Eagle chain is around 5.25mm wide while the eTap AXS chain is 5.0mm.
They should have just said that clearly from the start. It sounds much better just than saying the road chain is the our strongest chain and you can't use it on Eagle, implying with the "flat top" designation that it's the link shape that plays a part in both the increased strength and incompatibility with Eagle. A narrower chain should be stronger.

goatalope

by goatalope

So any word on new Sram Force coming in April? Just a (slightly) cheaper version of Red AXS? Any new mechanical stuff?

Ettore

by Ettore

goatalope wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:56 pm
So any word on new Sram Force coming in April? Just a (slightly) cheaper version of Red AXS? Any new mechanical stuff?
Yes, there are some words from SRAM regarding that. However, there are embargos. All I can say is: wait. It'll be worth it.

liam7020

by liam7020

Ettore wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 am
Yes, there are some words from SRAM regarding that. However, there are embargos. All I can say is: wait. It'll be worth it.
What, like Red Etap 12 was worth waiting for....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Ettore

by Ettore

liam7020 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 am
Ettore wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 am
What, like Red Etap 12 was worth waiting for....
It's not Red AXS.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

gurk700 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:44 pm
Disposable power meters when your chain rings wear out. NO THANKS.
Heard this yesterday on a ride.
This true?
Without going through the whole 70 pages, can someone enlighten me?
How does the chainrings connect to the "spider" or then rather the Quarq powermeter? Can it be seperated?
Or is this true that when the chainrings go, you throw everything away?
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Spinnekop wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 am

This true?
How does the chainrings connect to the "spider" or then rather the Quarq powermeter? Can it be seperated?

The Quarq PM is integrated into the chainrings. There is no removable spider. The cost of the PM chainrings is US$820 but you will be able to trade-in for ~$410. Non-PM chainrings cost $300.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:42 am
Spinnekop wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 am

This true?

The Quarq PM is integrated into the chainrings. There is no removable spider. The cost of the PM chainrings is US$820 but you will be able to trade-in for ~$410. Non-PM chainrings cost $300.
Thank you kind sir for the info. It is appreciated.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"