SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Whichever cassette is used dictates which mech and chain are used. Red AXS cassette = flat top chain & Red AXS mech. Eagle cassette = Eagle chain & rear mech.
Yes, that's not in question.
Provided your chainring is 12s you are good to go.
Except that's not what SRAM say. Look at the linked Q+A above. It says "Red eTap AXS chains are ONLY compatible with Red eTap AXS chainrings."

Personally I think that's probably wrong, and Red chains can be used on Red or Eagle X-Sync chainrings that same as Eagle chains can be used on Red or Eagle X-Sync chainrings... but as I said their communication regarding the mechanical compatibiity is very, very bad.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

petromyzon wrote:So does that mean that a 12 speed KMC and (for example) a 12 speed Campy cassette would work, at least possibly?
Why? What’s the point???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

petromyzon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm
So does that mean that a 12 speed KMC and (for example) a 12 speed Campy cassette would work, at least possibly?
No, for two reasons. First, if you're thinking of 2x those chainring teeth are only supposed to be used with the Red chain. The 1x teeth are different. Second, the derailleur pulleys are matched to the chains. So theoretically you could match a KMC chain, Campy cassette and Eagle derailleur, but why would you? However, nothing about the stated compatibility implies you could run a non Red12 chain through a Red12 mech and achieve acceptable results.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

AXS will have a different chain pitch interaction due to the different roller size. Put smaller rollers into those teeth and wear/chain suck is not going to be pretty....
Using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am
Haha, I thought someone would say that, allow me to clarify;

Not in countries where people can afford to buy bikes with Sram on them.
Well, here in Austria we have a dense logging road network that probably rivals tarmac roads in size. I can't (or won't) afford eTap AXS however, and I'm perfectly happy to ride all roads with mechanical gearchange.

caad4rep

by caad4rep

Karvalo wrote:
Marin wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 am
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 am
Gravel won't take over the road market for the simple fact that most roads aren't gravel.
Most roads actually are gravel though.
Haha, I thought someone would say that, allow me to clarify;

In the middle of the US most roads are gravel. We're also down to a handful of road races a year but there are multiple gravel races every weekend.

Miller

by Miller

I did an event yesterday morning that could be loosely termed 'gravel'. This was in the English countryside in February after a week of heavy rain. The trails were an utter mudbath. Is anyone really going to want to subject £2k of electronic components to that?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

caad4rep wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:53 pm
In the middle of the US most roads are gravel. We're also down to a handful of road races a year but there are multiple gravel races every weekend.
Right, the emptiest part of the country.

And not only does the racing scene not really correspond to the riding scene in any given place, gravel races are to a large degree more like events, right? To fairly compare you'd need to balance gravel races against road races, sportives and gran fondos, IMO.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

It seems DT Swiss aftermarket XDR drivers are available everywhere now, but has anyone seen 240s hubs for sale pre-configured as XDR? Need to buy two hubsets and would rather not pay for the default HG11 freehubs if I can avoid it!

mattr

by mattr

Karvalo wrote:
Norway, Sweden, Finland. All have extensive gravel road networks. And moderately high disposable incomes.

Except round here, the gravel roads are generally in better condition than most of the rural tarmac network in the UK. :D

mattr

by mattr

Miller wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm
Is anyone really going to want to subject £2k of electronic components to that?
The fact that it's electronic is actually a very good reason to choose it.

The fact that it's all top level kit is a good reason not to........

I'd far rather, say, Ultegra Di2 (even hydro discs!!) than mechanical D-A on a proper slopfest of a ride.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

mattr wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Norway, Sweden, Finland. All have extensive gravel road networks. And moderately high disposable incomes.
And they're almost completely empty :P

gurk700

by gurk700

Disposable power meters when your chain rings wear out. NO THANKS.

mattr

by mattr

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:37 pm
mattr wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm
Karvalo wrote:
And they're almost completely empty :P
Some bits are relatively crowded, and have lots of gravel roads/trails/tracks. Some bits are desolate, and have less gravel roads.

Unlike the UK, which is crowded and mostly has shit tarmaced roads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

mattr wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:51 pm
Some bits are relatively crowded, and have lots of gravel roads/trails/tracks. Some bits are desolate, and have less gravel roads.
Ok, cool - so every single road rider in Scandinavia is going to convert to gravel bikes. What's that going to do to SRAM and Shimano's global numbers?