SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:56 pm
Shimano has patented a dynamo pulley wheel to generate electricity for its rear derailleurs and also an automatic "winding" method for its front derailleurs. They wouldn't be resorting to this if they thought they could challenge the SRAM patent.
Just because they've patented it doesn't mean they're resorting to it.

How many patents do you think Shimano have filed over the years that have never been utilised in production components?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Or bought from others just to block and bury them

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I didn’t say they’d implement either, just that both patented concepts are a response to SRAM’s patent. That indicates Shimano doesn’t think they can get SRAM’s patent thrown out...and that we won’t be seeing wireless Di2 for some time.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Maybe Sram and Shimano can cross license some of their patented technologies. Shimano has the FD auto trim patented. I don't think Sram's Yaw works as well as Shimano's auto trim. Shimano can possibly trade it with Sram's wireless technology.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:07 pm
Maybe Sram and Shimano can cross license some of their patented technologies. Shimano has the FD auto trim patented. I don't think Sram's Yaw works as well as Shimano's auto trim. Shimano can possibly trade it with Sram's wireless technology.
Both SRAM and Rotor seem more interested in getting rid of the FD altogether, so I don’t think that specific scenario will play out.

vinsert

by vinsert

What cassette options do we want to see? I'm hoping for a 12-speed 11-36 to replace my current 53-39 11-28 10-speed setup. Combined with a 52 in front I will have almost the same range. Steps between gears not too bad either:

http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=DERS ... 8&UF2=2125

Maybe a 34 or a 32 for flatter days.

Also, I'm hoping for mechanical shifting. (eTap is overkill for 1x (?)). And a clutch-less derailleur, for weight savings.

ergott

by ergott

kwakekeham wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:17 am
Considering that SRAM is hardcore 1x why is there a front derailleur?
Because the majority of road bikers want 2X. 1X is only a niche solution for certain courses.

thePrince

by thePrince

ergott wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:16 am
kwakekeham wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:17 am
Considering that SRAM is hardcore 1x why is there a front derailleur?
Because the majority of road bikers want 2X. 1X is only a niche solution for certain courses.
Do the "the majority of road bikers want 2X" or do the majority of road bikers want an acceptable range with an acceptable jump between options? Why can't this be accomplished with 1x?

What about a 2x do you actually want? Do you just love the way a front derailleur looks? Or love the extra cable and housing?

Or maybe we should go back to 3x. Even more gearing options...a 3x12 we could have every infitisemal gearing option out there!

wintershade

by wintershade

I want reasonably small jumps between cogs over a wide gear range.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about a 3x electronic group? Programmed to avoid crosschaining and on a narrow cassette like 11-26. Wider chainring shifts and narrow cassette shifts. Derailleur optimized for 11-26 cassette but with a huge derailleur cage.

About the issue of unexpected front shifts it'd be nice to block that by a simple adjustment somehow. That way you can prepare for sprints and steep climbing.

bilwit

by bilwit

update the hydro etap hoods to be normal-sized like the new Di2 hoods and call it good

AZR3

by AZR3

bilwit wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:11 pm
update the hydro etap hoods to be normal-sized like the new Di2 hoods and call it good
:thumbup:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I actually like the size and shape of the eTap hoods from an ergonomic standpoint, though admittedly they are not very aero!

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

So unless I'm mistaken the Interbike Expo started yesterday. Was really hoping for some news from Sram concerning updates to their road groupsets but so far I haven't seen anything. How disappointing… :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lugan

by Lugan

MayhemSWE wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:29 am
So unless I'm mistaken the Interbike Expo started yesterday. Was really hoping for some news from Sram concerning updates to their road groupsets but so far I haven't seen anything. How disappointing… :(
Not just SRAM, but Interbike news overall is nearly nonexistent. I think the industry now announces new products in other ways and at other times.