SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:47 pm
I think it's a mistake to move the chainrings closer together in size.

Sure you'll get nicer shifts but you also reduce the use of the small ring and front derailleur alltogether. There is too much overlap in the gear ratios.
I believe 48/35 and 50/37 are the replacement for pro's 53/39 and 55/42. Those two combo have close ratio front rings too.
50x10 = 55x11 exact match and 48x10 is almost the same as 53x11, coincedence?
What if you tell pro that you can't have a close ratio front rings any more, i think pros would be mad about absense of their favourite gearing.
We only saw those two chainring in criterium race in Japan. So it make sense to not use wide ratio front ring.

I think front ring for wide range of gear will come later.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:47 pm
I think it's a mistake to move the chainrings closer together in size.

Sure you'll get nicer shifts but you also reduce the use of the small ring and front derailleur alltogether. There is too much overlap in the gear ratios.

Are they trying to move us towards 1x for road?
They don’t need the 14-16t jumps anymore to achieve the same gear range. Just think about the new combo vs the old. 50x10 is a much bigger gear combo than 53x11 and 37x28 is a meaningfully lower combo than 39x28. This isn’t about mirroring old standards like 53/39 or 55/42...they don’t correlate to the 12spd systems.

And yes, eventually we will either be on 1x road or we may even have Pinion style gearboxes up front and a single gear in back (no more chain line issues, bracing angle issues, etc.)

Besides, I’d rather have more overlap. I want to be able to stay in my current ring as long as possible and it’s nice only having to shift 1-2 cogs to rev match while shifting in front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

bruno2000 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 am
One of the bikes of World Champion cyclo-cross Wout Van aert is equipped with the new red etap 12v....
Link to close-up pictures of cranks and rear derailleur from sven 1793:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153264&p=1442201#p1442201
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 pm
And yes, eventually we will either be on 1x road or we may even have Pinion style gearboxes up front and a single gear in back (no more chain line issues, bracing angle issues, etc.)
What you think about front gear boxes vs rear cassette igh sytems like SRAM DD3-30 or Shimano IF-C530?
It should be possible to make ultralight 2-speed igh+cassette hub with very high efficiency (direct drive)

SRAM DD3-30 disc or IF-C530 hub + shimano RD-6770 + 11-25T = 30 speed di2 system without fd
2 speed gear hub will be even lighter, one of gear can be made as direct drive ~0% drag

'

Shrike

by Shrike

Makes more sense to do it up front. Bottom bracket seems wasted in the current application.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Shrike wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 pm
Makes more sense to do it up front. Bottom bracket seems wasted in the current application.
There are 2-3 major concerns

Size/weight. Obviously nobody wants to lug extra weight around. Some people would also cry about q-factor with the current Pinion tech.

Friction losses. Currently a Pinion gearbox in a best case scenario is somewhere around 92-93% efficient whereas traditional geared bicycle is around 96-97% efficient.

The first problem will likely be completely solved just through competition and development cycles. The second...a drivetrain where many small gears are engaged at once will never be as efficient as gear->chain->gear, though there are some additional losses at the derailleur and with chainline angles.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

liam7020

by liam7020

Starting to sound a bit like Sturmey-Archer.....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Do you think sram red cranks will only offer the new 13t chainring spacing?

I like that there are more options for people that need better front shifting.

I also think it's funny that the new standard crank is closer to a compact. Some people might be annoyed over that. Big rings equal big muscles don't they? :lol:

2lo8

by 2lo8

liam7020 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:32 am
Starting to sound a bit like Sturmey-Archer.....
No, those sound like click-click-click-click when you pedal.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:24 am
Do you think sram red cranks will only offer the new 13t chainring spacing?

I like that there are more options for people that need better front shifting.

I also think it's funny that the new standard crank is closer to a compact. Some people might be annoyed over that. Big rings equal big muscles don't they? :lol:
No, I think there will a ton of options because the cranks will either use direct-mount or a really small 4-bolt BCD. Your 12-speed Red crankset will be able to use a 1x 42t chainring, a 2x 44/36t chainring set, a 46/32t set, 48/35t, 50/37t, etc. depending on your usage case.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Just ordered a new 2019 Trek Madone SLR. Any rumors on when the e-Tap 12-spd is to be introduced?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 am
Just ordered a new 2019 Trek Madone SLR. Any rumors on when the e-Tap 12-spd is to be introduced?
You might see it on pro bikes at TDU. Probably late Feb/early Mar release.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 am
I think I read SRAM have a big media event in January... but if they officially launch it then, it might take another while before it's available.

TiCass

by TiCass

Any rumors about a Sram Force Etap?

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

C9O-SPMB1 Bicycle Seatpost with BLE, AIREA and ANT+ Radios filed yesterday.

The seatpost and fork have been seen in the wild or at least the seat post, the fork remains rumored maybe. The filings indicate that it'll be part of the new etap ecosystem since it contains all the sames radios Airea (old ETAP) and BLE (config? maybe) but also ANT+.

However, what I don't think has been seen is that there will be a stand alone controller for the post under the FCC ID C9O-SLMB1. I'm going to guess the controller is specific to the post because it lacks inclusion of ANT+ but that means nothing really for this ecosystem they've built. It's not needed for anything unless they wanted to support additional controls of things like headunits.

Inclusion of ANT+ on the seat post though (unlike their controller) is nice since it'll help with keeping things standard. The seat post profile has some control ability too, so this means they might have opened it to third parties to control the dropper post depending on their implmentation.

No new quarq filing, so maybe just a repackaged housing or any day now. All filings, as usual are requested for confidentiality for external and internal so there is a delay before people can see them.

Like Shimano, mentioned in another thread, if there is Etap for both Red and Force levels, they'll likely be doing the same Shimano method, same guts because there are no other filings. Other options include rebranding original etap to force, but I'd suspect the shimano method.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cattiy

by Cattiy

Funny, I find the 10T to be last fun gear in my 10-42, because there is a noticeable friction increase in the drivetrain. So my solution is to use a 50T frontring, so that i do not have to use the 10T cog for springtime ;)