SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How confusing for sram mtb 12s. Eagle and axs will need different cassettes, chains and chainrings. People will destroy their drivechains when making the mistake of mismatching sram 12s components.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 am
How confusing for sram mtb 12s. Eagle and axs will need different cassettes, chains and chainrings. People will destroy their drivechains when making the mistake of mismatching sram 12s components.
Don't quote me on this, but you might be able to use the road / eTap AXS 1x chainrings with Eagle chains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How? The roller diameters dont match up.
Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 am

Because the tooth spacing on the chainrings is still the same (the troughs are a bit deeper though.)

Anyway I found the mention in the official SRAM documentation.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hmm, interesting. Thanks

Doesn't this faq answer confirm axs crank + eagle chain compatibility?

How far does such a compatibility go I wonder. Maybe the axs mtb chainrings have a special tooth profile that preserves a level of crosscompatibility?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

alcatraz wrote:Hmm, interesting. Thanks

Doesn't this faq answer confirm axs crank + eagle chain compatibility?

How far does such a compatibility go I wonder. Maybe the axs mtb chainrings have a special tooth profile that preserves a level of crosscompatibility?
https://www.sram.com/sites/default/file ... ents_a.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

pdlpsher1 wrote:By the way the Dura Ace chain is $35 at my local bike shop. So the Force is now competing with Dura Ace?
You’re comparing full retail with discounted to compete with the internet prices?

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I remember when SRAM road stuff initially launched the strategy they were allegedly following was that of very aggressive OEM pricing to drive adoption but full retail was higher to compensate (+/- to make the kit "appear" more high end and attractive).
Seemed to work for a while but as their cable stuff became relatively less attractive compared with Shimano (less novelty, no-one cared that it was light because it just doesn't work as well as Ultegra) you don't see many OEM bikes with it installed.
Perhaps they will return to this model? I think we can expect very reasonably priced Canyons with AXS gruppos. I'm slightly reassured that the two consumable elements are half the price with Force.
In the UK OEM kit bleeds readily in to the rest of the supply chain so only later will we see how low the street price of Force will go. Spartan; if these prices really were going to improve the cash flow of the LBS that might be a good thing! It won't.

henau212

by henau212

petromyzon wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:19 am
I remember when SRAM road stuff initially launched the strategy they were allegedly following was that of very aggressive OEM pricing to drive adoption but full retail was higher to compensate (+/- to make the kit "appear" more high end and attractive).
Seemed to work for a while but as their cable stuff became relatively less attractive compared with Shimano (less novelty, no-one cared that it was light because it just doesn't work as well as Ultegra) you don't see many OEM bikes with it installed.
Perhaps they will return to this model? I think we can expect very reasonably priced Canyons with AXS gruppos. I'm slightly reassured that the two consumable elements are half the price with Force.
In the UK OEM kit bleeds readily in to the rest of the supply chain so only later will we see how low the street price of Force will go. Spartan; if these prices really were going to improve the cash flow of the LBS that might be a good thing! It won't.
That seems like it. Canyon Aeroad/Ultimate with AXS is the same price as DA.. sucks that Canyon is not offering the bike with the PM as upgrade. I hope that the street prices are going down, nur I am not betting on it in the next months.

ill principe

by ill principe

ooo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:05 am
force axs (vs red axs) pricing
[...]
Groupset (hrd brake):
Sram group red etap axs 1x d1 hrd 1999 EUR
Sram group red etap axs 2x d1 hrd 2449 EUR
Sram group force etap axs 1x d1 hrd 1450 EUR
Sram group force etap axs 2x d1 hrd 1850 EUR
The ~2500 euro at german online retailers is the "upgrade set" with derailleurs, shifters, calipers and rotors. Force 1850€ is quite a big step up from the same Ui2 kit which can be found for ~1200€.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

Marin

by Marin

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 am
Gravel won't take over the road market for the simple fact that most roads aren't gravel.
Most roads actually are gravel though.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Marin wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 am
Karvalo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 am
Gravel won't take over the road market for the simple fact that most roads aren't gravel.
Most roads actually are gravel though.
Haha, I thought someone would say that, allow me to clarify;

Not in countries where people can afford to buy bikes with Sram on them.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 am
Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 am

Because the tooth spacing on the chainrings is still the same (the troughs are a bit deeper though.)

Anyway I found the mention in the official SRAM documentation.

I hope SRAM clarifies this a bit better. The new Red 1x chainrings aren't branded AXS, they're branded X-Sync. So can you actually pair a Red12 chain and cassette with a Red12 X-Sync chainring? If you can, why can you then use an Eagle12 chain with either Eagle X-Sync or Red X-Sync rings, but only use a Red12 chain with Red X-Sync and not Eagle X-Sync rings?

They've done a very poor job communicating the mechanical compatibility.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Whichever cassette is used dictates which mech and chain are used. Red AXS cassette = flat top chain & Red AXS mech. Eagle cassette = Eagle chain & rear mech. Provided your chainring is 12s you are good to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

So does that mean that a 12 speed KMC and (for example) a 12 speed Campy cassette would work, at least possibly?