SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

^agree with the above, would like to add that I hope their driveterrain is quiter than the current r9100 or r8000 groupsets. I'd also like to see them stick to a standard rear mech hanger but I'd imagine that's very unlikely.

I honestly thought SRAM were going to do a big unveil at Eurobike this year, but looks like I was very wrong. I do feel that whenever SRAM do release a new road groupo they'd need to do it at both Red and Force levels (at least) to compete, heck maybe even down to Rival/Apex if 105 R7000 becomes more available.

You may disagree but I feel like SRAM just hasn't been as refined as Shimano or Campy ever since 11 speed road groupsets were released. That said, it's usually lighter at the same price point and the shift action is distinct, so maybe among fans it's not all that bad.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Starting to wonder how massive SRAM's updates are going to be since Force/Red mechanical are 5 years old and Rival is 4 years old. eTap itself is 2.5 years old. The more time passes, the more I expect some wild card like a 14-speed drivetrain.

Beaver

by Beaver

Hm, and how is SRAMs financial situation? Maybe that's why we don't see so much here? eTAP is selling well, so why hurry?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Beaver wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am
Hm, and how is SRAMs financial situation? Maybe that's why we don't see so much here? eTAP is selling well, so why hurry?

SRAM is doing poorly in traditional road bike groups, but pretty well with 1x for gravel and MTB <- The only numbers that really matter to them are OE sales to manufacturers. I would think they are still slightly concerned about market share / mind share losses on “halo” bike though.

themidge

by themidge

From what I hear from my MTB acquaintances, Sram rules the MTB market. They make the best and most desirable groups at the moment, as well as being the king of OEM groupsets on stock gravel bikes. On the road though, both they and Campagnolo are losing out to Shimano, especially concerning pro teams.

wintershade

by wintershade

If SRAM were to release an updated road eTap groupset, when would it likely be? Is there some kind of roadbike expo, etc coming up soon where an annoucement would be likely. I'm debating between Campy SR12 vs eTap on next bike.... leaning Campy primarily for ergonomics, but partially because SRAM's products seem so late in their lifecycle.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Next chance is around Interbike in September. Then around late February or early March. It's unlikely that SRAM would announce major updates in the middle of winter. The lack of any leaks other than 1x12 Eagle eTap is a bit worrying.

wintershade

by wintershade

Worrying in what sense -- that there might NOT be anything on the near-term horizon?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wintershade wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 pm
Worrying in what sense -- that there might NOT be anything on the near-term horizon?
Worrying that nothing is coming until next spring, at which point Red/Force 22 will be 6 years old, Rival 22 5 years old and eTap 3.5 years old.

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 pm
From what I hear from my MTB acquaintances, Sram rules the MTB market. They make the best and most desirable groups at the moment, as well as being the king of OEM groupsets on stock gravel bikes. On the road though, both they and Campagnolo are losing out to Shimano, especially concerning pro teams.
The worrying thing for Sram though is that their MTB dominance has come from Shimano being painfully slow to respond to what the market was asking for, instead pushing their view of what riders should use, instead of what they wanted. Now that M9100 is getting rave reviews, and M8100 will soon follow then Sram's OE share is going to take a dive, just like it has on the road.

Much as some people dismiss it as just money talking, I think the WT teams are actually a good measure of the groups. OK there are 5 fully sponsored Shimano teams to Sram's 1 - but there are also to my count 9 WT teams who do not have a package sponsorship from a group manufacturer. These teams either buy their groups or have them provided by their frame sponsor. Every one of those 9 teams runs Shimano.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Who are the five officially sponsored Shimano teams?

BMC, Sky, Trek-Segafredo, Sunweb, Michelton-Scott?

I recall all of those teams on Shimano wheels last year except Trek, but Trek has Shimano branding on its team bikes. Of course this year Sunweb started using Giant wheelsets and BMC’s equipment choices for next year are anyone’s guess.

Either way I don’t think its a great indicator of OE sales. OE likes fresh product, which is why eTap HRD is still shipping in line-ups that are for the most part Shimano dominant. If SRAM updated its mechanical groupsets, that would be enough to likely increase their year over year market share in 2x road by several hundred percent.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 pm
Either way I don’t think its a great indicator of OE sales. OE likes fresh product, which is why eTap HRD is still shipping in line-ups that are for the most part Shimano dominant. If SRAM updated its mechanical groupsets, that would be enough to likely increase their year over year market share in 2x road by several hundred percent.
Not sure I'd agree. I'd say it is as simple as supply and demand.

eTap is speced on high end bikes because high rollers who have the money to spend were asking for it. Had it not been readily available these buyers would get something different or buy the frameset only and have it built up with eTap anyway, either way the frame manufacturer would lose out on potential income.

Buyers of mid to low end bikes however I'd wager cares much less which brand of groupset is on the bike, if they're even aware of the different brands in the first place. The only way for Sram to get more groupsets onto factory builds is to drum up the demand, or possibly make them an offer they can't refuse i.e. match and surpass Shimano's discounts.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It’s all related. In the US, SRAM’s mechanical groups were on plenty of bikes 2-3 years ago because they undercut Shimano at every tier. All else being equal a Force 22 bike was typically something like $2500 while an Ultegra 6800 bike was $2800. Red 22 bikes were significantly cheaper than Dura-Ace bikes. You would see DA bikes around $4200 and Red 22 bikes around $3500.

Electronic groups have pushed the pricing of the mechanical groups down so now the pricing difference isn’t as dramatic, but as long as SRAM can continue to offer better OE deals with fresh product, I can easily see them boosting their 2x market share three-fold or more. (It wouldn’t take much because that share is currently tiny.)

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Probably worth remebering SRAM also owns Zipp and RockShox whch are major money maker for SRAM. They also still have an edge on MTB brakes side of the business, i so i wouldnt be too concern about their overall market share.
SRAM must have poured alot of their resources in eagle 12 etape in the past year, i guess we will see they will refocus on road soon. Gravel bikes seem to have gone through the roof and until Shimano offer more 1x solution, i think SRAM still have an advantage. However, i would like to see more options for 1x at RED level components and etap for lower groupset.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

spartan

by spartan

sram should delay and release 1x13 group. 12 is already been done by campy today and shimano come 2020. release the group in new year.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com