SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jacksoneaker

by Jacksoneaker

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:00 am
jlok wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:55 am
The chainring is bolted to the Quarq using the torx.

Then why does the chainring have an FCC ID and all those power meter related logos? Also you mean to tell me those 8 torx bolts go through the chainring and into the Quarq? That's now how the 8-bolt interface works.
Very very valid. One thing I find interesting as well is that the chainrings are marked “8-bolt” leading me to think that either all the new “direct mount” cranks will use the eight bolt interface, or the Quarq models need specific “8-bolt” compatible rings.
Last edited by Jacksoneaker on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jacksoneaker

by Jacksoneaker

Jacksoneaker wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:32 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
jlok wrote:

Then why does the chainring have an FCC ID and all those power meter related logos? Also you mean to tell me those 8 torx bolts go through the chainring and into the Quarq? That's now how the 8-bolt interface works.
Very very valid. One thing I find interesting as well is that the chainrings are marked “8-bolt,” leading me to think that either all the new “direct mount” cranks will use the eight bolt interface, or the Quarq models need specific “8-bolt” compatible rings.

Jacksoneaker

by Jacksoneaker

Jacksoneaker wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 am
Jacksoneaker wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:32 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
jlok wrote:

Very very valid. One thing I find interesting as well is that the chainrings are marked “8-bolt,” leading me to think that either all the new “direct mount” cranks will use the eight bolt interface, or the Quarq models need specific “8-bolt” compatible rings.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

andrey wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:20 am
How do you think if it is any difference between Etap Red and Etap Force read derailleur? Design, weight, cog capacity, etc..
It will be the same derailleur, just heavier. On the mechanical front, all SRAM's derailleurs use the same mechanisms, the difference between the products is entirely driven by different material choices in the support parts. Furthermore, after the first gen of etap came out, SRAM said that they were looking to do a Force level product, but couldn't do it because there was no way to decrease the costs enough while increasing the weight - the cost was too heavily driven by the motors/batteries, the parts that they would, under their design philosophy, keep the same.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

petromyzon

by petromyzon

^is Etap Force confirmed or are we just speculating?

I'd love to see a cheaper product but can't help thinking it would simplify their range and make good economic sense to have Red=Etap and Force=cable. They really don't sell many mechanical groupsets in the scheme of things anyway.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

It’s looking great now. The results in yesterday’s CX WC race show that the system is ready and performing. Looking forward to have one for assembly.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Also interesting (and good, IMHO) that they seem to have gone with a user replaceable battery again as per the pink sticker.
Perhaps there aren't so many functional changes on the Quarq side of things, just the cosmetic/?direct mount stuff.
I wonder if a single piece machined ring improves stability and therefore accuracy/precision?
Should at least give them a weight advantage.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

The photos are misleading.

Remove the chainrings via the 8 torx bolts and the inner disc with all the FCC digits remains (ie this is part of the crank arm). The chainrings include the solid outer cosmetic smoothing around the crank arm.

Also, force. Yes. It will exist. But don’t hold your breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So the Quarq unit is a plastic enclosure and battery compartment on top of an outer metal disc and also an inner metal disc that sandwiches the one-piece chainring set with the 8-bolt interface?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It is kinda clunky looking but I don’t understand the confusion over the 8 bolt attachment concept. Like SRM, P2M (I think), they’ve all been attaching the rings like that... SRM example...

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Jugi

by Jugi

Calnago wrote:It is kinda clunky looking but I don’t understand the confusion over the 8 bolt attachment concept. Like SRM, P2M (I think), they’ve all been attaching the rings like that... SRM example...
I don't follow. In that example the chainring spider includes a powermeter and a 4-bolt attachment point for separate chainrings.

The new Quarq's bolt interface looks very much like the older Quarq DZero's attachment, but in DZero the powermeter spider is attached via bolts at the crank axle's foot, and chainrings are attached to the spider via a traditional four or five bolt attachment point. So, the new Quarq looks very much like a direct mount solution for the chainrings as there is no traditional chainring attachment visible. I'm wondering the same thing as TobinHatesYou - where is the seam between the chainrings and the powermeter spider?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, gotcha. Maybe a one piece affair? Can’t really tell much from the photos. Must be like @Dartanianx says. Take those 8 Torx screws out and all shall be revealed.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Skillgannon wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:08 am
SRAM said that they were looking to do a Force level product, but couldn't do it because there was no way to decrease the costs enough while increasing the weight - the cost was too heavily driven by the motors/batteries, the parts that they would, under their design philosophy, keep the same.
Then can they make it half wireless?
Like wireless shifters as usual,
only FD have receiver and battery, and it link with wire to RD. Or vice versa. Similar to FSA groupset.

ooo

by ooo

jlok wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:38 am
is it Force eTap?
Shifters on all bikes looks the same, but 2 bikes have shifters not covered in black tape:

Agnieszka Skalniak (@agnieszkaskalniak, left/pigtail) new rim brake etap shifter text: "RED"
Jeanne Korevaar (@jeannekorevaar, in the middle) new rim brake etap shifter + black tape
Valerie Demey (@valeriedemey, right/nopigtail) new rim brake etap shifter text: "FORCE"

Image Image
Last edited by ooo on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
'

ooo

by ooo

Red etap shifter (vs Force etap shifter in previous post)

'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com