SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cemicar

by Cemicar

If my understanding is correct, both BB90 and BB92 should use the same bearings in size (37mm diameter), and SRAM did release a DUB BB for BB92...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cemicar wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:37 pm
If my understanding is correct, both BB90 and BB92 should use the same bearings in size (37mm diameter), and SRAM did release a DUB BB for BB92...

Nope. You’re confusing Shimano’s “BB90”/92 for MTB and Trek’s BB90 for road. The former takes bearings with an outer diameter of 41mm, and thus a 30mm crankset can be used in conjunction with those shitty 4130 bearings. The Trek road BB90 takes bearings with an outer diameter of 37mm, and I very much doubt 37x”28.99”x7mm bearings would be something you’d want to install.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:00 pm
I very much doubt 37x”28.99”x7mm bearings would be something you’d want to install.
Oh I assumed the very bearings (should be 37x30x7 though) were used by SRAM's Dub BB for BB92, but it had to be 4130 then...

andrey

by andrey

Any rumor about new mechanical-braking group? Do not like an idea to buy all-new disk-brake bike, but thinking about to upgrade Di2 10spd groupset to 1x12 eTap on my present one

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

andrey wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:51 am
Any rumor about new mechanical-braking group? Do not like an idea to buy all-new disk-brake bike, but thinking about to upgrade Di2 10spd groupset to 1x12 eTap on my present one
I think it's pretty safe to assume it will happen. SRAM's a component manufacturer, not a bike manufacturer, so they need to tailor their offerings to the widest market, possible, if they want to recoup their investment (ie, make their shareholders happy).

Maybe they'll be bold and do what other manufacturers haven't done: make Red (their top-end group) an electronic-only group, but I think we're still at least a generation away from that.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

FIJIGabe wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:07 pm
Maybe they'll be bold and do what other manufacturers haven't done: make Red (their top-end group) an electronic-only group, but I think we're still at least a generation away from that.
They can still claim their mechanical groupset is the lightest, so they shouldn'd do it. That's the only atractive thing in Red for me. Super record mechanical is cheaper than Red etap, if I ever get 12 speed and there's only Red etap available I'd get campy mechanical.

Also if they only release cassettes starting on 10t I wouldn't buy it.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I didn't say that they were going to do it. I said it would be a bold move to do it. All mechanical group sets are cheaper than their electronic equivalents, so price isn't the issue.

I think it's a given that SRAM is only going to release Red 12-speed cassettes starting at 10t. They made XDR an open standard to get manufacturers on board. Maybe we'll see 12-speed cassettes on HG freehubs in the future, but not at the Red level (or even Force).

andrey

by andrey

Well... The point was not about mechanical group, but electric 1x12 group with mechanical V-brake not-hydraulic option

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:39 pm
Yeah, I saw that. I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through. Interesting to see Trek isn’t holding back on showing off the new contract. You can’t even get the DA power meter on the Project One website anymore. Not sure if it’s still in stock on Dexter, but it’s off the public site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would assume this is more due to a lack of availability than anything.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Availability is reflected in the internal system, which has nothing to do with the online tool. The online tool reflects what Trek is offering, regardless of availability. You might design a bike on there and send it to a shop to get a quote, and the shop will tell you what the delays are (hey, this bar is out, or this stem is backordered, etc.).

What's on the online builder are the options Trek is offering. Maybe Trek is having trouble sourcing the DA9100 PM, but if you notice, the top-end build is now eTap (and advertised on the TFS paint scheme), where before, the top build was Shimano DA9100. Further, even on the DA9100 build, the only powermeter Trek is offering is a Quarq DZero.

I think Trek's getting preferential pricing for the group sets coupled with sponsorship of the team, next season. You won't see Zipp wheels or components offered through the mainstream Trek website (although shops may be able to order them separately, like they do for Garmin computers).

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:33 pm
I think Trek's getting preferential pricing for the group sets coupled with sponsorship of the team, next season. You won't see Zipp wheels or components offered through the mainstream Trek website (although shops may be able to order them separately, like they do for Garmin computers).
Would definitely conflict with Trek's Bontrager wheels and components. Getting jiggy with SRAM but not taking it too far!

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:33 pm
Availability is reflected in the internal system, which has nothing to do with the online tool. The online tool reflects what Trek is offering, regardless of availability. You might design a bike on there and send it to a shop to get a quote, and the shop will tell you what the delays are (hey, this bar is out, or this stem is backordered, etc.).

What's on the online builder are the options Trek is offering. Maybe Trek is having trouble sourcing the DA9100 PM, but if you notice, the top-end build is now eTap (and advertised on the TFS paint scheme), where before, the top build was Shimano DA9100. Further, even on the DA9100 build, the only powermeter Trek is offering is a Quarq DZero.

I chatted in to Trek to ask and they just don't have the DA PM right now and cannot get any for a long time (as in October of 2019) so they took them off so customers would not think they were available. They are offering the Quarq option to have a PM available at the DA level since the DA cranks are unavialable. Seems like a good idea to me.

spartan

by spartan

shimano pm is a design failure. they are limiting production. i guess the flaws will be fixed in the all new 12 speed dura ace in 2020
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 am
shimano pm is a design failure. they are limiting production. i guess the flaws will be fixed in the all new 12 speed dura ace in 2020
This is speculation, but it seems like it's very tough to design a PM around the current Shimano cranks due to the asymmetrical DS crank causing torque vector measurement issues. GPLama's Stages LR has a similar problem to the Shimano PM...aka L/R balance issues and the right side reading low.

Has anyone experienced similar lopsidedness with the new Pioneers or 4iiii units built around the newer Shimano cranksets?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jacksoneaker

by Jacksoneaker

I’m going to be at a race with Jeremey Powers this weekend who will hopefully be on his 1x 12 eTap group. I’ll try to grab a bunch of pictures of it. Anything specific you’d like to see?