SRAM 2019?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

Ritxis wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:32 pm
The CCC women team with eTap 12 speed in LIV bike
liv.jpg

the men team with Shimano........???? Both teams without disc brakes.......????
That RD looks GIANT

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrjrRgsBerx/

Tayler Wiles got her new team bike to train on... with 12spd eTap of course. Getting very close to official announcement.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Aren't sales of SRAM cable operated groups very small?
Wouldn't it make more sense to have Force as the top cable option and have Red become entirely eTap/electronic? Would reduce the amount of stock people have to hold, introduce far better product differentiation, and mean that they don't have to compete with Ultegra di2.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

SRAM needs to reclaim the OE market, which right now is basically devoid of Force besides Force 1. They also need to trickle eTap down from >$8000 bikes to $5000-6000 bikes. They need to refresh everything in a bad way. They need more options, not fewer.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It seems as though Campag and SRAM have surrendered so much to Shimano in the OEM arena. It seems as though SRAM has focused a lot on the off-road side (mountain and CX) but have left road out in the cold.

Maybe it's a conscious decision to avoid products being dumped into the market, ala Shimano?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:03 pm
It seems as though Campag and SRAM have surrendered so much to Shimano in the OEM arena. It seems as though SRAM has focused a lot on the off-road side (mountain and CX) but have left road out in the cold.

Maybe it's a conscious decision to avoid products being dumped into the market, ala Shimano?
I think it's more about Shimano being so much bigger and a more powerful company combined with the others facing different realities.

Campy are not really interested to grow that much anyway, they chose to stay smaller, mostly manufacture everything themselves and are still a family run company so they probably don't need to grow and impress shareholders. I think they're happy being a niche for the connaisseurs more than flood every bikes in every stores.

SRAM have been aiming to grow since their start but they took a big hit in the industry with that huge road disc brake recall a few years ago. They were specced on many bikes but never delivering them until an almost complete re-design meant bike companies were stuck with bikes not having parts, waiting in warehouses and not being sold. That made a loooooot of bike companies and their product managers very unhappy with SRAM and many of them speced a lot more Shimano on their bikes from then on... SRAM seems to have learned from it since and don't seem to rush under-developped products to market like they used to since that recall. eTAP is a good exemple, it took longer to be released and it's been very reliable and trouble free from the start of it's commercial life, but the damage was done to the company's reputation and it may take a few more years to gain it back.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:24 pm

eTAP is a good exemple, it took longer to be released and it's been very reliable and trouble free from the start of it's commercial life, but the damage was done to the company's reputation and it may take a few more years to gain it back.
Have you read any of the threads on this forum about some of the ETAP problems?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:24 pm

eTAP is a good exemple, it took longer to be released and it's been very reliable and trouble free from the start of it's commercial life, but the damage was done to the company's reputation and it may take a few more years to gain it back.
I haven't read them all no, but I should have said 'relatively' trouble free... So many people only visit forums when they do have an issue so forums tends to exagerate proportions. I haven't seen that many problems in the real world from local shops' feedback and from 2 years of guiding cycling tours, all the problems I have seen apart from one were front derailleurs not setup correctly. I saw one guy who had a genuine issue, rear mech would stop shifting for a while sometimes even with a full battery, re-pairing, pairing it to another pair of shifters and what not... The faulty rear mech was replaced by SRAM.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm

I think the RD communication problem is only affecting a tiny number of people.

I think the two real problems are the battery tab issue...an seemingly easy fix, and front-shift/overshift behavior.

jlok

by jlok

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:47 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrjrRgsBerx/

Tayler Wiles got her new team bike to train on... with 12spd eTap of course. Getting very close to official announcement.
anyone managed to screencap that?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ubers

by ubers

alfus1 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:00 pm
Force eTap for the next year.
this is so anticipated that memes are being created :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 am

anyone managed to screencap that?

Didn't think to grab one, but it wasn't anything we hadn't already seen.

It was a full shot of Tayler on a Trek Factory colorway 54cm Madone SLR Disc (blue streak logos on white.) You could just make out the beefier RD and the silver colored rings like the ones on the Katusha bike.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

What's the reason for the beefy RD? A built-in hydraulic clutch?

jlok

by jlok

@Tobin yea, good to see that pretty much "finalized". Can't wait to jump back to eTap and SRAM brake, plus 12x.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Merry christmas.

As I mentioned previously the FCC filings have all been complete on the new etap and today the right shifter is 6 months after grant (well, yesterday, but took a while for the fcc system to update) so I give you the 2019 Etap shifters. Looks very similar but all new. Still long horn with hydralics in those horns. The battery is now on the bottom with a retainer cap (think Garmin style for footpods).

https://imgur.com/a/fwtIpE3?

The big changes are that the circuit board is no longer based off effectively an arduino (atmega 32u4) and is replaced with an NRF52832 but retains the zigbee RF IC. The NRF52 handles the BLE (only) communications. This should improve their battery life which is already good in the shifters.

Looks like there is an "enhanced shiting mode" (Was this on the original?) configurable via the AXS app. So there is also an AXS app for configuration and service intervals. Seems might be taking a play from the new My Campy app with that.

The manual also show ONLY a XDR cassette. No shimano freebody option (the 2ish variations, hyperglide and microspline).

I mentioned to people how the idea of including a cassette on trainers might need to change and sure enough. Shimano 11 speed on one type, 12 speed on their microspline, Sram on XDR, Campagnolo for 8-12 compatibility on theirs, and rotor on their modified shimano 11. What a mess we're in for in standards next year.

It's all on the FCC if you're interested. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... =C9O-RSBB1