01 Litespeed Arenberg

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

50mission

by 50mission

Building an 01 arenberg and I’m a bit lost on the fork. The original has a 40 mm rake and from what I can gather a 367 mm long axle to crown (1 1/8). Can anyone recommend a fork for me?

50mission

by 50mission

It’s a 57... here’s the original geometry
Attachments
2B8F5F9E-B2F4-42FB-9EC0-534B7E05B788.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

Most foad forks will be in the 367-370mm AC range, and any normal 43mm or 45mm fork will pair fine with a 73 head tube angle. 40mm is an unusual rake for a road fork, and there's nothing in the frame geometry to really justify it either.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

RyanH

by RyanH

Enve fork looks good on the frame. Here's my 2001 classic with the Enve fork:

50mission

by 50mission

Thanks all. Which enve did you go with?

50mission

by 50mission

2lo8 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:05 pm
Most foad forks will be in the 367-370mm AC range, and any normal 43mm or 45mm fork will pair fine with a 73 head tube angle. 40mm is an unusual rake for a road fork, and there's nothing in the frame geometry to really justify it either.
Will a length range of 367-370 be okay as well considering the other factors? Kind of eyeing the cheap 100 Nash bar fork - 43 rack 370 axle to crown

RyanH

by RyanH

That's an Enve 1.0 in 43 rake. Handling was spot on with the 43 rake fork. 73 HTA too.

ETA: Regarding going from 367mm to 370mm, that should be fine, it's a neglible difference and will slightly slacken the HTA but not by much.

50mission

by 50mission

RyanH wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 pm
That's an Enve 1.0 in 43 rake. Handling was spot on with the 43 rake fork. 73 HTA too.

ETA: Regarding going from 367mm to 370mm, that should be fine, it's a neglible difference and will slightly slacken the HTA but not by much.
Do you know the axle to crown on your fork?

2lo8

by 2lo8

50mission wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 pm
2lo8 wrote:
Will a length range of 367-370 be okay as well considering the other factors? Kind of eyeing the cheap 100 Nash bar fork - 43 rack 370 axle to crown
3mm is insigifigant when it comes to AC. Check the listed AC on the actual fork you buy, but again, the normal range for road bike is only about 3mm. It's very small.

Regarding Nashbar, I would never buy Nashbar branded carbon, ever. I reccomended it before because I had a positive impression of Nashbar at the time, and I still haven't gotten around to updating my blog.

I used to think, Nashbar, owned by ASI (Fuji etc.), operated in the US, big name in online bike shopping, vulnerable to lawsuits, surely they must have more QC than buying China direct. On the invoice there's some legalese, probably not actually binding, about how they aren't responsible for injuries from their products. I've read reviews of snapped carbon handlebars, just like your bad quality China direct ones, and pretty sure Nashbar uses a different supply chain than Fuji.

I was going to build up a Nashbar carbon frame, opened the box, it had a delaminating steerer in multiple spots. Amazing, a structural flaw one of the most stressed areas of the frame. Not a hidden crack, immediately obvious if anyone bothered to look at it. No QC at the factory. It was relisted as a returned item, even though they claim "all Returned Items are thoroughly inspected by experts and are 100% functional" so no QC even in their US based warehouse. I was pretty upset (and indignant as I tend to be), as they simply did not seem to care they could seriously injure someone or get someone killed just to make a buck. I left a negative review. Nashbar deleted the review. I kept complaining to corporate because I never got so much as an apology or any assurance that this somehow slipped under the radar or that they where investigating how this happened, or that they cared to fix the problem. I don't think they even ever actually admitted the frame was defective. This got to the point where the upper management basically told me to just f*** off.

Nashbar is a trash company, especially when it comes to their no-name Nashbar branded carbon coming from some mystery factory in China just like an Aliexpres Dogma special. This is on all levels of their bussiness, their supplier's factory floor, their QC assurance employees in the US, and their corporate executives. As an outlet for actual name brand goods, I suppose they're fine.

The motobecane forks sold by bikeisland(bikesdirect) are ugly, but you can ask who they're made by, and they'll probably tell you Kinesis. Kinesis is at least a real OEM brand, has some retail brand presence outside of the US, and has a reputation.
Last edited by 2lo8 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

2lo8

by 2lo8

50mission wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am
RyanH wrote:

ENVE is 367mm AC
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

50mission

by 50mission

2lo8 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 am
50mission wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 pm
2lo8 wrote:
3mm is insigifigant when it comes to AC. Check the listed AC on the actual fork you buy, but again, the normal range for road bike is only about 3mm. It's very small.

Regarding Nashbar, I would never buy Nashbar branded carbon, ever. I reccomended it before because I had a positive impression of Nashbar at the time, and I still haven't gotten around to updating my blog.

I used to think, Nashbar, owned by ASI (Fuji etc.), operated in the US, big name in online bike shopping, vulnerable to lawsuits, surely they must have more QC than buying China direct. On the invoice there's some legalese, probably not actually binding, about how they aren't responsible for injuries from their products. I've read reviews of snapped carbon handlebars, just like your bad quality China direct ones, and pretty sure Nashbar uses a different supply chain than Fuji.

I was going to build up a Nashbar carbon frame, opened the box, it had a delaminating steerer in multiple spots. Amazing, a structural flaw one of the most stressed areas of the frame. Not a hidden crack, immediately obvious if anyone bothered to look at it. No QC at the factory. It was relisted as a returned item, even though they claim "all Returned Items are thoroughly inspected by experts and are 100% functional" so no QC even in their US based warehouse. I was pretty upset (and indignant as I tend to be), as they simply did not seem to care they could seriously injure someone or get someone killed just to make a buck. I left a negative review. Nashbar deleted the review. I kept complaining to corporate because I never got so much as an apology or any assurance that this somehow slipped under the radar or that they where investigating how this happened, or that they cared to fix the problem. I don't think they even ever actually admitted the frame was defective. This got to the point where the upper management basically told me to just f*** off.

Nashbar is a trash company, especially when it comes to their no-name Nashbar branded carbon coming from some mystery factory in China just like an Aliexpres Dogma special. This is on all levels of their bussiness, their supplier's factory floor, their QC assurance employees in the US, and their corporate executives. As an outlet for actual name brand goods, I suppose they're fine.

The motobecane forks sold by bikeisland(bikesdirect) are ugly, but you can ask who they're made by, and they'll probably tell you Kinesis. Kinesis is at least a real OEM brand, has some retail brand presence outside of the US, and has a reputation.
Good to know.. will stay away.

50mission

by 50mission

2lo8 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 am
50mission wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 am
RyanH wrote:

ENVE is 367mm AC
Looks like they have a 43 and 40 option. Which one would you suggest?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

Pretty sure ENVEs are 43, 45 or 50. Either 43 or 45 will work fine with a 73 head tube angle. There will be very little difference since the trail is only changed by 2mm and both rakes will put you in what is considered by most to have neutral road handling. 50 is for head tube angles of ~72 or slacker. 43 is for ~73.5 degrees or steeper.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]