rear brake under chainstay pros and cons in general - scott foil rc specifically

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

romanmoser

by romanmoser

No pro

Beaver

by Beaver

If it only had one striking advantage, love would be just easier. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tango

by Tango

Do you need more reasons than aesthetics? The long and clean seatstays are shaved legs of a nice lady. :D
From a technical point of view, there is more flex and therefor more comfort. I can visible deform mine using my fingers.

octave

by octave

Beaver wrote:Maybe the next generation will have the brake back on the seatstays. ;)
and that is the other question-- when will the foil be updated? maybe i wait and see what scott comes up with for the update; it could be interesting in light of the UCI relaxing thd rules regarding frame design...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam0bmx0

by adam0bmx0

I have a BMC TMR02 with an under-BB mounted brake, set-up wasn't too bad, I have experiance with v-brake calipers and BMX U-brakes.

The thing to watch out for is corrosion from sweat, living in Queensland, Australia, you sweat alot, and this all flows down the downtube and onto the rear brake.

When I got my BMC (2nd hand) I took the rear brake apart and the tension springs etc were bone dry and rusty, needed to wide brush them and re-build with a thick grease on all moving parts, the brake was much better after doing this.

Power is still pretty poor, its not spongy but just on/off type feel with little modulation.

dastott

by dastott

I have a Merida Reacto with direct mount brakes under the BB. Adjustin them is not easy and they feel pretty poor. Still it looks pretty cool and doesn't get unreasonable dirty in my experience.

octave

by octave

hey @adam0bmx0 -- the TMR02 brake is proprietary, right? i heard that that one was notoriously bad... the one that came on the trek madone 5.2 was actually pretty solid in my short experience with it, so proprietary can be ok... but it seems BMC missed big time with theirs. as for the sweat -- i had never thought of that!

@dastott -- what brake is on the merida reacto?

thanks!

Beaver

by Beaver

Tango wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:01 pm
From a technical point of view, there is more flex and therefor more comfort. I can visible deform mine using my fingers.
That's what Scott told us, but Canyon did a comfortwise better job with the seatpost alone, so there's no real need for a bb mounted brake after all. ;)

JeffK

by JeffK

I have a 2016 Foil Premium frame I built up with DA9150 Di2 and DA9110 direct mount brakes. I have not had a problem with the rear brake whatsoever. If you clean and maintain your bike regularily it is not an issue. I also have Enve 5.6 wheels and the braking is perfectly fine as compared to my other rim brake bikes. I would not hesitate to buy one again.
-------
2021 Factor Ostro VAM
2021 Factor LS
2018 Trek Speed Concept

JeffK

by JeffK

I have a 2016 Foil Premium frame I built up with DA9150 Di2 and DA9110 direct mount brakes. I have not had a problem with the rear brake whatsoever. If you clean and maintain your bike regularily it is not an issue. I also have Enve 5.6 wheels and the braking is perfectly fine as compared to my other rim brake bikes. I would not hesitate to buy one again.
Attachments
20180507_163500.jpg
-------
2021 Factor Ostro VAM
2021 Factor LS
2018 Trek Speed Concept

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

jlok wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 am
the brake will block 4iiii or Stage power meter sensor, be careful.
This is only the case for the first-gen Stages (not sure about the 4iiii, since I don't have one). I've had two different Stages PM's on my old Madone 5, and the 2nd gen Stages clears the brakes with room to spare.

Calnago is right, I can't really find a true "pro" on why these brakes exist. They don't provide a real aero benefit, and the brake action is not smooth, at all. I've tried everything I can think of, to improve the performance, and nothing makes it any better. At least Trek had the forsight to include an adjuster on the headtube, where the brake cable goes into the frame, so if you get any rubbing, you can open the brake, or adjust it, while riding.

That said, I wouldn't not buy a frame, just because it has the brakes under the chainstays, but I certainly wouldn't look for one with them there, either.

octave

by octave

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:17 pm
That said, I wouldn't not buy a frame, just because it has the brakes under the chainstays, but I certainly wouldn't look for one with them there, either.
this is an interesting comment.

jeffk's experience is telling, too -- maintenance, it seems, is key; keep the dura ace 9110 brake under that bb clean and it works.

does anyone have any experience with an eeBrake chainstay mounted brake?

dastott

by dastott

My Merida Reacto 4000 comes with Shimano 105 direct mount brakes. TBH, I can't blame the rear brake solely for poor performance as I am running a Farsports carbon clincher on the back too. The Farsports carbon tubulars brake much better in my experience. The front brake, Shimano 105 direct mount, is good.

octave

by octave

JeffK wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm
is that a size 56? how many CMs of spacers under the stem? i ride a 56 first gen foil with 2cm of spacers plus the 1cm headset cover, so i am just trying to envision what a new gen foil would look like in my setup.

dastott

by dastott

[/quote]
[/quote]

I agree with this. The Reacto 4000 is a very good value aero bike and I am very happy with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com