rear brake under chainstay pros and cons in general - scott foil rc specifically

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

@FIJIGabe

Good to know and yes it was a first gen Stage. Finally need to file down the Ultegra brake to make room. I saw quite a lot of people doing that.

Also someone told me to dremel the end of a brake wire housing to prevent mushy feeling upon braking.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've tried different housings, Shimano, Jagwire & Yokozuna, and they all feel mushy. That said, since it's the rear brakes, I'm not too concerned (my front-mount brake is fine). My new Madone doesn't have these issues.

Delorre

by Delorre

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Don’t know anyone who owns a Foil who ever had a problem with the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except some have issues with rear brake rub (also a few over here if I remember) and others not. Not clear why and what the factors are to make this happen or not....

kode54

by kode54

i have direct mounted brakes on my Parlee ESX...and eeCycle brakes.

looks nice and clean since brakes are not mounted on seat stays...although they get 3-4x more dirty. I'm actually surprised that the brakes still work after a ride in damp or wet road conditions. even at that...after one ride on dry roads...its still filthy. Since I don't frequently look under the chain stays...i tend to not clean it as much as I should...and when I do clean the brakes, its much more often than seat stay mounted brakes. The eeCycle brakes work well even when I don't clean it as much as I should.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ZONE1090

by ZONE1090

Just got my 2018 Merida reactor DA limited. Love the bike! Setting up the rear brake is kind of a pain. Here's what I did:adjust 2 turns out on cable adjuster, loosen cable clamp, squeeze caliber together ,tighten cable as tight as you can, adjust cable tensioner to proper air gap.

JeffK

by JeffK

octave wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:44 am
JeffK wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm
I have a 2016 Foil Premium frame I built up with DA9150 Di2 and DA9110 direct mount brakes. I have not had a problem with the rear brake whatsoever. If you clean and maintain your bike regularily it is not an issue. I also have Enve 5.6 wheels and the braking is perfectly fine as compared to my other rim brake bikes. I would not hesitate to buy one again.
is that a size 56? how many CMs of spacers under the stem? i ride a 56 first gen foil with 2cm of spacers plus the 1cm headset cover, so i am just trying to envision what a new gen foil would look like in my setup.
Mine is a 54 with about 1cm of spacers under stem.
-------
2021 Factor Ostro VAM
2021 Factor LS
2018 Trek Speed Concept

pmprego

by pmprego

I've searched everywhere. I have a potential new bike that has a rear brake mounted bellow the bb. Can anyone explain or show me a link with explanation for how to "unlock" the rear brake in order to remove the rear wheel? I frequently have to do this due to kickr and on regular brakes is as easy as pulling the small lever on the brake.

kode54

by kode54

depends on what brand of brakes you have installed.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

jih

by jih

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 pm
I've searched everywhere. I have a potential new bike that has a rear brake mounted bellow the bb. Can anyone explain or show me a link with explanation for how to "unlock" the rear brake in order to remove the rear wheel? I frequently have to do this due to kickr and on regular brakes is as easy as pulling the small lever on the brake.
Probably the same as with the brake on the seatstays? Quick release on either the brake(shimano, sram) or the brake lever (campag)

Or, just get wider rims so you don’t have to let the brake out to remove the wheel 8)

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

pmprego wrote:
For shimano, the grey lever on the rear brake cable opens and releases tension.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Me & my mate recently got the new Specialized PowerMeters (made by 4iiii) Ultegra left crank upgrade kit.
Turns out he can't fit it on his bike. His frame is a SUPERIOR (Czech brand) with Shimano direct mount brake underneath the BB. The brake body interferes with the plastic cover. Can't even spin the cranks.
Yikes.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

KotP

by KotP

pmprego wrote:
Inline brake cable adjuster.

Or depends how much exposed brake housing there is at the downtube/BB you can put the inline adjuster there.

KotP

by KotP

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:01 am
Me & my mate recently got the new Specialized PowerMeters (made by 4iiii) Ultegra left crank upgrade kit.
Turns out he can't fit it on his bike. His frame is a SUPERIOR (Czech brand) with Shimano direct mount brake underneath the BB. The brake body interferes with the plastic cover. Can't even spin the cranks.
Yikes.
Too little, too late for your friend but he could of tried this: https://4iiii.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 170215.pdf

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

KotP wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 am
Too little, too late for your friend but he could of tried this: https://4iiii.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 170215.pdf
Yeah. I knew about this and I had done that exact test on my TCR beforehand. Funnily enough I performed the test with him present there. I guess he just wasn't focused and later he forgot or it just didn't occur to him. To make matters even worse he recently ordered and received some TRP brake caliper that should've fixed the problem. Turns out there's an issue with the brake bosses (hope that's the correct terminology). The Shimano one has them built into the caliper, they go through the chainstays and bolts fix them on the other side. The TRP however comes without bosses. Yikes.

Looks like all this chain of events is doing is speeding up his decision to buy a new bike altogether. =D
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

Kalliastar1

by Kalliastar1

I ride a Fuji TT 2016 model wich has te TRP brake callipers pre- mounted.
the issue is that rear brake's wire end at the crankset's side and space it so short that it gets really close to the chainring!
I guess this is the older model of TRP TTV version and I'm looking to purchase a newer version, BUT I have to order it online, becaause there is no retailer in my counttry!
I can't figure if the wire of the newer version of rear brake calliper ends at the oposite side of crankset.
any advice/help?

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com