rear brake under chainstay pros and cons in general - scott foil rc specifically

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
jlok

by jlok

@FIJIGabe

Good to know and yes it was a first gen Stage. Finally need to file down the Ultegra brake to make room. I saw quite a lot of people doing that.

Also someone told me to dremel the end of a brake wire housing to prevent mushy feeling upon braking.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've tried different housings, Shimano, Jagwire & Yokozuna, and they all feel mushy. That said, since it's the rear brakes, I'm not too concerned (my front-mount brake is fine). My new Madone doesn't have these issues.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Delorre

by Delorre

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Don’t know anyone who owns a Foil who ever had a problem with the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except some have issues with rear brake rub (also a few over here if I remember) and others not. Not clear why and what the factors are to make this happen or not....

kode54

by kode54

i have direct mounted brakes on my Parlee ESX...and eeCycle brakes.

looks nice and clean since brakes are not mounted on seat stays...although they get 3-4x more dirty. I'm actually surprised that the brakes still work after a ride in damp or wet road conditions. even at that...after one ride on dry roads...its still filthy. Since I don't frequently look under the chain stays...i tend to not clean it as much as I should...and when I do clean the brakes, its much more often than seat stay mounted brakes. The eeCycle brakes work well even when I don't clean it as much as I should.
- AX Lightness Vial EVO D + DA9150 + Enve SES 3.4 carbon hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9150 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Independent Fabrication Ti FLW + DA9100 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

ZONE1090

by ZONE1090

Just got my 2018 Merida reactor DA limited. Love the bike! Setting up the rear brake is kind of a pain. Here's what I did:adjust 2 turns out on cable adjuster, loosen cable clamp, squeeze caliber together ,tighten cable as tight as you can, adjust cable tensioner to proper air gap.

JeffK

by JeffK

octave wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:44 am
JeffK wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 pm
I have a 2016 Foil Premium frame I built up with DA9150 Di2 and DA9110 direct mount brakes. I have not had a problem with the rear brake whatsoever. If you clean and maintain your bike regularily it is not an issue. I also have Enve 5.6 wheels and the braking is perfectly fine as compared to my other rim brake bikes. I would not hesitate to buy one again.
is that a size 56? how many CMs of spacers under the stem? i ride a 56 first gen foil with 2cm of spacers plus the 1cm headset cover, so i am just trying to envision what a new gen foil would look like in my setup.
Mine is a 54 with about 1cm of spacers under stem.