Help me decide: Ursus Magnus vs Black Inc Barstem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Help me decide!

Ursus Magnus
27%
Black Inc Barstem
59%
Other (plse comment)
14%

Total votes: 22

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running a 2015 BMC SLR01 (Ultegra Di2) with a few upgraded pieces (Bora Ones 50s, Power2Max on FSA K-Force) and am looking to make myself a birthday gift and upgrading from the ARX 2 + Aluminum Ergonovas (42 c-c drops, 40 hoods, 77 reach, 123 drop) to something fancier.

I mainly like the idea of a clean cockpit, reduced road buzz and a bit of bling - hence looking at the integrated versions.

I'm currently running 40cm bars (hoods, c-c), but with the brake levers rotated slightly inwards, so it's almost 38cm c-c on the levers. While it looks slightly odd, it just feels better for my arms. I'm measuring 39cm acromion distance, so i certainly don't want to get wider than 40s - but am very seriously considering 38s.
On top of that, I upgraded my original stem from 110 to 120 and am feeling much more comfortable since. Unfortunately, there's not many brands who are offering 120 x 38/40. On top of that, clean lines would be nice, as the BMC has a quite "strict" look, so Vision Metrons certainly won't fit.
I have small hands and do a lot of climbing in the Alps - so a comfortable place to grab on the tops is a must.

My search resulted in:
Ursus Magnus H.01 in XL (42 c-c drops, should be pretty much 40 c-c hoods), 125 stem, 78 reach, 132 drop, -7.5 degrees
https://ursus.it/shop/road-racing/magnus-h01/
+ clean internal cable routing
- ugly computer mount, will need replacing with something probably heavier with less clean matching looks
- sizes not perfect - no 38s with ~120 stem, drops a touch deep

Black Inc Integrated Barstem in 38 c-c hoods (3 deg flare), 120 stem, 80 reach, 125 drop, -6 degrees
https://blackinc.cc/product/integrated-barstem/
+ sizes
+ beautiful wahoo mount included
- cables running in a recess, not inside the bar

Anybody has any views on those?
Any other bars I should consider?

List so far
Syncros RR 1.0 (no suitable size. 40 h c-c/110 as close as it gets)
Vision Metron 5D (too curvy for a BMC)
Deda Alanera (looks - can that really be comfy on the tops?)
Ritchey WCS Solostreem (no long-stem 40s)
PRO Stealth EVO LE (40/120 has a very short 69 reach, looks a bit like an alien)
Most Talon Aero (too curvy)

Many thanks for your help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Would recommend the ursus because you can get matching aero spacers and dust cap that make it look like it is completely integrated with the rest of the bike....as for the mount, there are plenty of options for that out there I think....I am also planning on buying an integrated barstem in the future and ursus is my number one option thus far....

mike001100

by mike001100

Bontrager XXX maybe? The Black Inc is so heavy, I mean 320g come on??? AX bars weigh 170 g, MCFK stem is 90 g, have those bonded and you're at 260...

However, I would prefer routing in a recess to internal routing, as you never know how tight the internal routing will be...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yes integrated are usually pretty heavy..

I'm currently using a Ritchley Streem II in 40 which was around 190g with a 120mm MCFK.. so combined I am under 300g for sure. Recessed routing and aero (bars anyways) Was using a Canyon H11 previously at 320+grams
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Thanks for your opinion guys.
The Black Inc and the Ursus are actually on the lighter side for integrated handlebars. Syncros 385g, Canyon H11 375g, Metron 5D 395g, Pro Stealth 410g - just to drop some numbers.

I am fully aware that the integrated solution isn't usually the very lightest - but gosh, it's just so much more clean & pretty. Happy to spend 50g there.
I must admit that I had at first prematurely dismissed the Bontrager XXX - I didn't check the weight, assuming it would be all in line with the others. Wow. My BMC could handle the red stripe, too.

That said - it seems like it doesn't even have a recess nor holes to run the cables in? So the only way for them to produce a bar with enough stiffness at that weight was to keep things perfectly round.
It just can't be comfy on the tops with a perfectly round shape and additionally the cables will create a hump in the tape...
Not for me, unfortunately. But I can imagine a fan base for that. Their point must have been to create an ultralight solution - but not an ultra clean solution, which is what other brands are aiming for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Black Inc seems to get you the position you look for, so it seems obvious!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Random a bit late perhaps but I have been running the black inc integrated setup and it is indeed very impressive. Weighs as much or lighter than my previous 3T LTD full frontal setup. The bend is reasonably agreeable as well and overall they do feel good.
Just ride ..

AndreLM

by AndreLM

itsacarr wrote:Random a bit late perhaps but I have been running the black inc integrated setup...
Would you mind sharing a few pictures? Especially interested on cable routing, and some detailed shots about the computer mount.

Also, do you have actual weight for your bar?

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Quick update from my side - so I've kind of surprisingly decided to get an Ursus Magnus (with a k-edge splayd).
main drivers for the decision were
a) looks. the black inc looks a bit too "normal" with its round tubes everywhere. the ursus looks more impressive with the slim & wide tops
b) the tops. black incs are almost round and also not very wide. I climb a lot, so i wanted a bit wider tops to rest my palms on. black inc seems even "rounder" than my current ergonova.
c) I decided than an integrated bar-stem is not the place to experiment with a new width. 40 c-c feels comfortable to me, so never change a winning team. especially as there is no way to try things before. so the black inc is losing the bonus points for the fit.

Delivery is due this week - will post pictures once installed.
Many thanks for your input everyone.

kgt

by kgt

What's the price of the Ursus?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kgt

by kgt

672 or 573,88 ?
I am asking how much Vilsheimer payed.

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

I'm in Switzerland. So ~595 EUR.

https://www.mondialbike.com/ursus-magnu ... orbau.html

Tried to shop around a bit, but even after checking pretty much all their official European dealers, I couldn't find a better offer than the Italian site above.
And not worth going through the hassle of customs, overseas shipping, (even more) difficult return process etc for a tiny difference.

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

AndreLM wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:35 pm
itsacarr wrote:Random a bit late perhaps but I have been running the black inc integrated setup...
Would you mind sharing a few pictures? Especially interested on cable routing, and some detailed shots about the computer mount.

Also, do you have actual weight for your bar?
+1 - also would love to see pics and understand the cable routing in more detail (their www doesn't give much away, plus will need Di2 compatibility for it to be a go for me)

Many thanks
Mike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

There is a long thread on farsports F1 and a lab test thread including F1. Compared to F1 based on user reviews which are good and the lab test results which are also good, I don't see much advantage of the listed bars except a good europe brand name.