Looking for ways to lighten up Giant Trinity

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uncleGeorge

by uncleGeorge

G'day,

Had the Giant Trinity for over a year now and had used it for various events. But I guess it's just the country I'm in, Taiwan, nearly every TT or Tri event has some sort of hills or climb.

Hence I'm looking for parts or ways to lighten up the bike.

I think it was last year during Tour de France, where there was a TT Stage filled with climbs. Riders were faced to choose a full on TT setup or using a road bike adopted to TT. The winner was riding a Bolide TT, which is one of the lightest TT bike available.

Therefore that got me thinking, if it is possible to make Trinity lighter, that thing is damn heavy, with thick aluminium pieces everywhere! I'm interested to see and hear what solutions others forum board members have adopted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Same places that you would look on a normal road bike, though best to make a consideration towards rolling resistance/aero.

Right off the bat you could wheels, bigg saving there, you could go all out on a Lightweight Disc which is under 1000g. Front wheel choice will help. Tyres are a good saving, I'm not sure what you're currently rinning, but looking at the Corsa Speeds in either Tubular or Tubeless will save some weight.

Is 1x an option? If it's hilly you may need to go larger in a cassette, which can offset any weight savings. While we are talking cassettes there is a bit of weight to be saved.

Extensions can be switched for carbon if you havent already. Get rid of any bar tape you don't need it. Skateboard griptape is a good option here. Just a small strip on each extension.

Saddles are a tough one. I personally use an ISM which doesn't have a light version, though your preferred saddle may.

Are you running any extra boxes or hydration packs? Take them off if you are. Bottle cage could be switched to a lighter option too.

uncleGeorge

by uncleGeorge

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently using Dash carbon saddles, with Giant carbon extension bars.

Not much option for the handle bar and the rest plate extension, as they are Trinity specific items, integrated.

Already running Dura Ace DI2, fitted to the bike as a package.

I'm more of looking for custom parts ppl have made for the Trinity. Like Handle Bar cover plates, as they are really heavy duty alloy items.

I don't think there are much saving to be had for wheels, as any aero wheels are heavier than climbing wheel... Although I currently have PSLR0 on my Trinity, but soon to swap it out for DT Swiss 1100, 1750g for the set.. which is heavier than Giant PSLR0.
2048_6E043B98-DB38-C36F-B7C2-CD9D483F95C7.jpg
_SSU6791.jpg
_SSU6843-Edit.jpg

Multebear

by Multebear

Judging from your 1st and 3rd picture, there's a lot to be gained from working on your position. You'll be able to save lots of watts getting more aero. Probably considerably more than lightning your bike by a couple of hundred grams.

I'd work on my body weight as well. You look healthy. But you'd probably be able shave more weight of your body than of your bike.

Shoecovers, removing valve stem covers, better fitting speedsuit with arms all the way down to your elbow would gain you a little bit of speed as well.

If you haven't shaved your legs, then do it. I bit hard to see on the pics.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Multebear wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 am
Judging from your 1st and 3rd picture, there's a lot to be gained from working on your position. You'll be able to save lots of watts getting more aero. Probably considerably more than lightning your bike by a couple of hundred grams.

I'd work on my body weight as well. You look healthy. But you'd probably be able shave more weight of your body than of your bike.

Shoecovers, removing valve stem covers, better fitting speedsuit with arms all the way down to your elbow would gain you a little bit of speed as well.

If you haven't shaved your legs, then do it. I bit hard to see on the pics.

Savage. The dude doesn't look like a GC rider at the end of a grand tour but looks pretty lean. No spare tyre there to lose. Re: position, if doing short TT - sure. If doing a tri or ironman, he needs to run off the bike, a Dumoulin style position is not to to enable a quick run afterwards.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AyBee

by AyBee

Not harsh at all, much easier to lose a few hundred grams from the body than a TT bike like the Trinity where everything is integrated. Beyond chopping down the seatpost as much as you can, fitting light wheels and a light groupset, you can't really make any changes to it because everything else is designed specifically for the bike. DA mechanical will certainly be lighter than DA di2. What cranks are you using?

Multebear

by Multebear

NiFTY wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Savage. The dude doesn't look like a GC rider at the end of a grand tour but looks pretty lean. No spare tyre there to lose. Re: position, if doing short TT - sure. If doing a tri or ironman, he needs to run off the bike, a Dumoulin style position is not to to enable a quick run afterwards.
No offense meant in regards to OP. I got the impression it was a TT and not a tri event. Just giving OP some feedback. I'd whish someone had given me feedback when I started TT'ing and I still do. There's so much to work with when TT'ing, and you're never done. I agree OP looks healthy, but IHMO it's easier to shave of 300 grams from the body than from a TT bike.

themidge

by themidge

I wish people would stop telling others to lose weight off their body instead of their bike. If you lose weight off yolur bike too you'll go even faster!

Multebear

by Multebear

themidge wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:36 pm
I wish people would stop telling others to lose weight off their body instead of their bike. If you lose weight off yolur bike too you'll go even faster!
True... But somehow it seems ridiculous to spend 1000 of $$ on lighter parts, if you are someone who easily could lose a pound or two. I have severel teammates who spend hours and hours on finding lighter parts, and they easily spend premium $$$ on losing 200 grams on their bike. And they could easily lose 20 pounds. It just doesn't make any sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uncleGeorge

by uncleGeorge

Wow, fantastic feedbacks. Gives me an different perspective.

I'll need some time to work on each different advises above.