Di2 Battery Hack Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Has anyone broken down an internal di2 battery to make it smaller/more flexible so it may fit into a tiny frame hole

Context - I have a slice RS - which has very small frame openings and cannot fit a standard internal battery, but am wondering if i broke down a btr2 and extended the wiring loom with soldering whether it might be safe to make the battery a bit more flexible ie (chipboard, flexi wire, battery 1, flexi cable, battery 2, all wrapped in some flexi plastic or loosely heatsrunk heatshrink.

Anyone done this?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Also does anyone know how big the non-modifiable electronics on the barend port are - I could modify it to sit in the plug in a pro missile evo if the vital part is 14mm or smaller.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

If you gutted a battery, you could probably swap the cell/s for something with a different form factor if necessary. What's the deal, does a Slice RS have an ISP?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Kimmoth wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 am
If you gutted a battery, you could probably swap the cell/s for something with a different form factor if necessary. What's the deal, does a Slice RS have an ISP?
Slice RS seatpost is super narrow... If I recall maybe 2cm length and 7mm wide.. it was probably right on the limit of the 3:1 ratio and as narrow as possible... They used to mount the big fugly di2 battery under the BB/rear brake area... I owned one, it was absolutely awful to setup!!!

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

I'd try to get hold of a dead battery, to see what the biggest internal part is aside from the cells. I think LiPo cells are all basically just a flat sheet that's folded or rolled up anyway, so there should definitely be scope to get cells in there.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I placed battery in handlebar extension and works fine.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

rainerhq

by rainerhq

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yep seen that video. Its essentially 2 AA battery plus the chipboard. Seems that if deconstructed I could get it into the downtube. My bars are pro evo missiles - so too narrow.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Better if you can get the weight down low anyway.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The TT is a pig at almost 9kg. With a 71kg pilot plus gear not sure it will make a big difference in terms of flickability where a 150g battery sits.

bllx

by bllx

Did you go through with this? I'm thinking that by removing the casing of an internal di2 battery and diving the two cells and the control circuit into three chunks (sealed in shrink tube/glue), one should be able to fit it into the opening for cables in the downtube-bottom bracket interface.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com