Disc Brake Tolerances - specs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brackc

by brackc

bit of a strange question, but does actually anyone know the tolerances between the brake pad and the rotor for the various disc groupsets?
Most interested in if the new Shimano Ultegra R8000 groupset runs closer to the rotor than the old RS685/785, but I haven't read anything in the reviews about this being the case (or not being the case), so does anyone have the actual specifications on this?

reason for asking is the smaller that pad-rotor gap the higher the likelihood the disc will rub on the pads if anything is slightly off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

This is the inherent fault with all current hydraulic road disc brake systems........until they design a method of retracting the pistons further away and thus the pads away from the rotor, brake rub will always be a problem......the magnitude of which depends upon your own tolerance(pun intended) to the shim shim shim sound.

All setups currently rely on the deformation of square shouldered seals that will reconform to their natural shape once the pressure of the hydraulic fluid has been released by releasing the brake levers. This seems like an easy no maintenance low weight solution but does not allow a sufficient pad rotor gap in my opinion.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Then throw in the variable of the disc not being in the same place on the wheel... I have 2 sets of wheels on my CX bike, both DT SWISS... I needed to put a pedal washer between the bearing and dustcap to add an offset to realign the disc down the middle... frustrating...

silvalis

by silvalis

November bikes sells rotor washers to shim multiple sets

It's possible to get good rotor clearance with careful bleeding.
Chasse patate

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

silvalis wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm
November bikes sells rotor washers to shim multiple sets

It's possible to get good rotor clearance with careful bleeding.
Problem with mine was the rotor was too far outboard, and really close to the seatstay (Stevens Super Presitige Post mount) so I had to do the washer deal to force alignment to the driveside slightly...

Andres

by Andres

There are, and most will have something along the lines of what Sram has here on page 67. There should be enough movement in the mount to compensate for what you're referring to, is that not the case?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

There is available movement in the brake itself to move it, but the rotor itself was probably less than a mm from the actual chainstay.. any hard flexing would probably cause the rotor to hit the frame (especially getting smashed around in cross)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My SRAM HRD calipers give maybe a half millimeter of clearance on either side of the rotor and never get brake rub. If you do, true your rotors and align your calipers properly.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

If your caliper is centered (loosen bolts, pull brake handle a few times, tighten caliper while pulled) and your wheel is fully tightened, then you may need to shim the rotor. I know there are 6-bolt shims from a few sources. For centerlock/afs, I've had to pull the washer off another centerlock hub.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 pm
My SRAM HRD calipers give maybe a half millimeter of clearance on either side of the rotor
Half milimeter ? Sound a lot. My Sram Red no hrd (same caliper) it's like 1/3 milimeter or less.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Hmm I'll look into the shifting caliper... My DT Swiss38 carbon tubs have the rotor well inside the seatstay while the clinchers R32 splines ae shifted... DT Swiss said this was entirely normal because they are different hubs..

Delorre

by Delorre

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:36 pm
My SRAM HRD calipers give maybe a half millimeter of clearance on either side of the rotor and never get brake rub. If you do, true your rotors and align your calipers properly.
I can only squeeze a business card between rotors and pads (DA, not Sram), so max 0.2mm, but no rub 99,9% of the time.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mattr

by mattr

ParisCarbon wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:29 pm
but the rotor itself was probably less than a mm from the actual chainstay.. any hard flexing would probably cause the rotor to hit the frame (especially getting smashed around in cross)
Some of the DH bikes i've worked on have less clearance than that. Not seeing any rub on those either. Even with all the slop in pivots and ~10" of travel......... i doubt you could get your rotor to touch the frame unless you actually bent it. Or the hub bearings failed.

brackc

by brackc

dre_lo82 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:19 pm
There are, and most will have something along the lines of what Sram has here on page 67. There should be enough movement in the mount to compensate for what you're referring to, is that not the case?
unfortunately those specs don't include pad return distance which is what I was after...
I was a bit curious if anyone had done the measurements to see if any company has greater clearance between pads/rotor or if it's changed with the updated shimano groupset, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com