Dialing in a FIZIK ALIANTE 00

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I have had many a happy ride on years gone past on anAliante, so I thought I would give the 00 a go. However, the style seems to have changed from a few years ago. Seemed easier before to find the sweetspot. Anyone ride a 00 version ?

MrMojo

by MrMojo

I have a 00 Arione. Not as much padding as the normal one so quite firm. Don’t really notice the difference initially but after a couple of hours I can tell there’s less padding. Not changed anything to compensate just a case of manning up!
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The rear of the Aliante changed slightly two years ago. There is now more taper behind the widest portion of the saddle...it’s a weight shaving move. Also the 00 models have less padding.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I have it. Set perfectly level across back edge and nose it was very comfortable on my endurance bike. After I built a race geo bike and also started to climb steep stuff, I came to hate it. The nose is very bothering in the drops or if I attempt to rotate the pelvis. Same if I try to move forward on steep roads. I reduced the problem by lowering the nose a little bit (2-3mm or so) but it is enough to make it painful for the sitbones. Funny how sensitive this seems to be...

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

The shape with R1/R3 and 00 was modified from the original Aliante shape, as was the padding. I used the older one for years, and I have only ridden the new shape a bit. It is a touch longer, it has a slightly sharper transition from narrow to the widest point, and the padding is much more firm.

On the old model I ran it nose up and I could be comfy on the tops, hoods and drops. On the newer model, nose up like that is too harsh when getting in the drops, and if I bring the nose down then I'm less happy climbing when on the tops. For whatever reason I just don't find the newer version as versatile.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Bigger Gear wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:14 pm
The shape with R1/R3 and 00 was modified from the original Aliante shape, as was the padding. I used the older one for years, and I have only ridden the new shape a bit. It is a touch longer, it has a slightly sharper transition from narrow to the widest point, and the padding is much more firm.

On the old model I ran it nose up and I could be comfy on the tops, hoods and drops. On the newer model, nose up like that is too harsh when getting in the drops, and if I bring the nose down then I'm less happy climbing when on the tops. For whatever reason I just don't find the newer version as versatile.
fully agree

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

One more thing to add to this discussion. If you like the older Aliante but are struggling to find a happy position with the new shape, perhaps try out the Prologo Scratch Pro 2. It has a similar round profile from side to side but is a bit less concave fore-aft. I have a couple of the Scratch Pro models from a few years back and I'm pretty comfy on them. I'm never afraid to swap saddles and if at any point I was feeling uncomfortable on the Aliante, I would always swap to the Prologo for a while. It was so compulsive at one point that I had two seatposts set up, ready to go! I have not tried the "2" model of the Scratch Pro but it seems almost identical in shape except for the very tip of the nose. Another saddle that would work well is the Bontrager Serano Pro in a 138 width. I've only test ridden this one, but it felt a lot like the Prologo Scratch.

LionelB

by LionelB

Yeah, been struggling a bit with the new shape of the Aliante as well. Why on earth would they change it. I am OK on the new one but not as good as the old one. So I have been buying a few old ones.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I will give it a bit longer then perhaps move on. The other saddle I quite like the look of is a Fabric Scoop Radius ultimate

Rick

by Rick

Older Aliantes and the similar Kurve Bull are still available a lot of places and on ebay.
I too am mystified at why saddle companies keep getting a popular product and then CHANGING IT! :twisted:

cmoi

by cmoi

Yes the Aliante shape and hardness changes 2 years ago (about).
I was fan on previous model and quite concerned by the new.
But indeed , now fully satisfied with the new model.
No so soft but very confortable
Lower height with a more agressive look.
And then selecting either 00 or 01 model will make the purchase very durable thank to the high robustness of the carbon shell.
I have ridden 100 000km with a Aliante 01 and it is still in good condition, yes no mistake in th number of O :-)
00 and 01 model are great value for the price because they will last forever, even if I would recommend the 01, more affordable with similar performance.
On the other hand saddle is very personnal, I can not garantuee that the new model fits everybody, but I would recommend to truy it.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Finally gave up. It's a beautiful saddle but not suited to me. I managed to fing a Selle San Marco Regale Carbon FX - Bliss :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com