Kit: cheap vs high-end - worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wookski

by Wookski

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:11 am
The rules involving dress/formal socks are much worse than cycling socks. Also running socks are even more use specific.

Plus choosing socks is easy. I just wear solid colored Swiftwicks unless there's a particular DeFeet custom that looks nice (Ornot, Ridge Supply, etc.)
I’m quite picky with socks- they need to have good compression around the foot to avoid bunching, be of acceptable height, stay up (I have skinny legs) and wick moisture effectively.

Agree with your comment re: swiftwick- they are the gold standard for comfort and longevity. I just wish they produced a sock with zero logos!

jlok

by jlok

amngwlvs wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:27 pm
I had bought a couple of cheap Chinese items over the years including one plain white jersey and another full kit. The jersey was ok (though only a half zip but I knew that going in) but I found it developed a sweat smell that no matter how much I washed it would never come out. I had never seen a jersey hold an odor like that. The full kit was even worse - bibs became slightly see through when stretched so I had to wear something underneath them if I wanted to wear them which completely defeats the point. That jersey was ok too. Fit was fine for the price paid (about $20) but it too started to hold a smell and it would never wash out.
it is exactly what happen with unreasonably cheap garments, not only found on cycling kits.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

I wear mostly Morvelo. I like the designs and I find their fit consistent, at least for me. I seam to be in no mans land at 6’1” and 175lbs. I fit medium but need large for my height. Morvelo large fits me quite well.

mvcap

by mvcap

The feedback here has been awesome so far, never expected so many great responses so quickly - thank you!

Please keep it comin.

I am now eager to upgrade. Sounds like sizing initially may be a challenge, but I must not know what I've been missing.

The points made regarding what we spend on bikes/equipment vs trying to save a little on kit does hit home, as well as the overlay of time spent on the bike and what feeling good (better) can translate to. I'm now more conscious of if my cheap kit is wicking, breathing, etc, and the verdict is no (only ~ 100° in Texas every day this time of yr, so no better time to find out)!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wookski wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:19 am

I’m quite picky with socks- they need to have good compression around the foot to avoid bunching, be of acceptable height, stay up (I have skinny legs) and wick moisture effectively.

Agree with your comment re: swiftwick- they are the gold standard for comfort and longevity. I just wish they produced a sock with zero logos!

I just wish Swiftwick would do customs for all the brands that use DeFeet.

DeFeet does have Woolie Boolies, which have limited use and no analog in the Swiftwick line.

themidge

by themidge

Wookski wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:11 am
themidge wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:33 pm
P.S. The worst piece of supposedly 'cycling specific' clothing has to be socks.
So what socks do you wear when cycling?
Normal socks... :roll:

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Socks...have developed a liking for stripes...in pink
My current favourites
Weather needs to drop another couple of degrees before I break out my winter warmers
Not my leg

Sako7 from an NZ website

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Wookski

by Wookski

themidge wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 am
Normal socks... :roll:
Sorry, that doesn’t narrow it down :noidea:

themidge

by themidge

Socks that I would usually wear in normal life, basically not sports socks.
If you really want I can post some pictures later :D

TonyM

by TonyM

Italian biking style for socks:
- white socks if you have white shoes
- black socks if you have black shoes

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:10 am
DeFeet does have Woolie Boolies, which have limited use and no analog in the Swiftwick line.
Color choices are kind of limited but when the weather is cool enough for Woolie Boolies, we like Swiftwicks wool Pursuit series.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Wookski

by Wookski

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:00 pm
Italian biking style for socks:
- white socks if you have white shoes
- black socks if you have black shoes
^ this. I have a few pairs of coloured socks but always go back to plain white or black.

Wookski

by Wookski

themidge wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 am
Socks that I would usually wear in normal life, basically not sports socks.
If you really want I can post some pictures later :D
That’s cool if it works for you. In hot and humid Australia it’s a recipe for soaking, sweaty, wet, uncomfortable feet. Plus if you’re wearing low volume shoes it’s important for socks to be thin whilst providing ample compression to avoid bunching. Maybe I’m just OCD but I can’t contemplate wearing non-cycling socks.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

White socks
White shoes
White helmet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kerplunk

by kerplunk

Does anyone have any recommendations of the better ebay/Alibaba brands? Surely the Chinese cycling community is now large enough that they are starting to produce local brands that are a cut above the rest.
I've got some "Santic" branded shorts and they fit well and quality looks pretty good but who are the budding Raphas and Assos of Asia?