Kit: cheap vs high-end - worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I love the Assos bib fabric. It hasn’t by far the most stretch of any brand I’ve used...without feeling loose or losing elasticity. I could probably wear an XS in Assos despite being 178cm.

Bogan

by Bogan

I have 4 and 5 year old Assos bibs that are still going strong. Still better than anything else I have tried. The other thing I like is my Castelli Gabba. I know that there are varying opinions of the Gabba, but at this time of the year in Melbourne, early in the morning, it is excellent. I alos have a lot of Assos tops and they are all great.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

853guy

by 853guy

Bogan wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am
I have 4 and 5 year old Assos bibs that are still going strong. Still better than anything else I have tried. The other thing I like is my Castelli Gabba. I know that there are varying opinions of the Gabba, but at this time of the year in Melbourne, early in the morning, it is excellent. I alos have a lot of Assos tops and they are all great.
Zero complaints of my Assos bibs.

Actually, one. Why the obsession with black?

Honestly, if Assos had more interesting colorways I'd probably own more of it. Pas Normal Studios, Café du Cyclist and Poc are much more adventurous in their aesthetic, and in my experience at least, offer something different without compromising comfort or function. Keen to try some Twelve Sixteen at some point. If anything, we're not short on choice.

Best,

853guy

guyc

by guyc

Rapha for jerseys and Assos for bibs. Although I have bought a couple of Assos jerseys this year and do like them.

TonyM

by TonyM

In terms if design (especially jerseys) there are huge differences between Europe, the UK and the rest of the world.

Or look at the colors of the socks. Crazy colors and combo outside Europe vs. traditional in Europe. Etc....so a single design for all countries is quite difficult IMHO.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

I had bought a couple of cheap Chinese items over the years including one plain white jersey and another full kit. The jersey was ok (though only a half zip but I knew that going in) but I found it developed a sweat smell that no matter how much I washed it would never come out. I had never seen a jersey hold an odor like that. The full kit was even worse - bibs became slightly see through when stretched so I had to wear something underneath them if I wanted to wear them which completely defeats the point. That jersey was ok too. Fit was fine for the price paid (about $20) but it too started to hold a smell and it would never wash out.

I went on to "splurge" on a Rapha Core jersey and haven't bought a piece of kit by any other brand since. Once you figure out the sizing you need (which admittedly can be a bit weird between their Pro and Classic fits) you just order and it works. I own a couple iterations of their Pro Team Aero jerseys (both long and short sleeved), a classic jersey, a brevet jersey, a classic flyweight jersey, a couple pairs of core bibs, several gilets and caps.

Some would say snobby or brand whore but I love the aesthetic (well, on the pieces I've bought), the quality of the materials is amazing, I've had zero issues with durability in 3 years and their customer service when I've had to return/exchange for sizing reasons is second to none. Sure, you pay the premium price but when I know what I'm getting and don't have to cross my fingers and hope when ordering online. I haven't found any reason shop for another brand.

The only nit picky little niggle is that one of my Pero Team Aero jerseys ("Light Blue") has developped some small sweat stains on the fabric that don't seem to go away with regular washing. That said, I haven't really tried to solve the issue as I don't wear the jersey a ton and they're pretty inconspicuous, especially after you're sweating on your ride anyways.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:32 am
I use Assos since the late 80s as it is the best quality by far.
In the last 2-3 years I tried Rapha and Castelli also. Good quality but not as good as Assos.
I also like the Assos black editions that have less logos etc....but more expensive.
Only wish to Assos: develop some water repellant bibs & leg warmers.
All of our leg warmers and knee warmers have DWR, as do all tights and the Tiburu shorts. Have had this for years.

AJS914

by AJS914

The other way to go for cheap skates is to buy used on ebay. You can often find worn-once clothing items at steep discount. Even new, last season stuff is heavily discounted.

The other way to go is to visit your local bike shop that has a good selection of clothing and buy your winter clothes now in the middle of summer and stock up on summer clothes this winter.

themidge

by themidge

853guy wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm
Why the obsession with black?

Honestly, if Assos had more interesting colorways I'd probably own more of it. Pas Normal Studios, Café du Cyclist and Poc are much more adventurous in their aesthetic, and in my experience at least, offer something different without compromising comfort or function.
Shorts should always be black, no questions asked.

And definitely no polka dots

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@themidge: you are old before your time. I like it. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

chorus88

by chorus88

jeanjacques wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:19 pm
I'm always intrigued to see all of this trend of aero bike with all of this marginal gain and aside of this, same people without care about the aero of their cloth.
Castelli is one of the few brands who work on it. So for me, it's a no brainer, Castelli Sanremo 3.2 Speed suit for 3 seasons and Sanremo Thermosuit for winter. And it's amazingly confortable (no straps, no double layers), what else ?
+1
SanRemo 3.2 for two seasons.
I miss my Castelli Inferno Bibshorts (warranty with Wiggle)...so comfy :D
Attachments
Untitled+.jpg
Untitled-.jpg
Untitled+1.jpg
Last edited by chorus88 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

The $30 Spexcel bib shorts from Ali punch well above their weight on a bang for the buck basis, easily comparable to mid tier products from Pearl Izumi, Gonso, or Ultima.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-SP ... 4c4d8aVooy

Wookski

by Wookski

themidge wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:33 pm
P.S. The worst piece of supposedly 'cycling specific' clothing has to be socks.
So what socks do you wear when cycling?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The rules involving dress/formal socks are much worse than cycling socks. Also running socks are even more use specific.

Plus choosing socks is easy. I just wear solid colored Swiftwicks unless there's a particular DeFeet custom that looks nice (Ornot, Ridge Supply, etc.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

RTW wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:32 am
I use Assos since the late 80s as it is the best quality by far.
In the last 2-3 years I tried Rapha and Castelli also. Good quality but not as good as Assos.
I also like the Assos black editions that have less logos etc....but more expensive.
Only wish to Assos: develop some water repellant bibs & leg warmers.
All of our leg warmers and knee warmers have DWR, as do all tights and the Tiburu shorts. Have had this for years.
And I didn’t even know that! 🤪🤪

I suppose the marketing of Castelli/ Sportful for their rain clothes (i.e. Gabba, Nanoflex, etc...) has been so strong that I bought them Image