Kit: cheap vs high-end - worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chorus88

by chorus88

jeanjacques wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:19 pm
I'm always intrigued to see all of this trend of aero bike with all of this marginal gain and aside of this, same people without care about the aero of their cloth.
Castelli is one of the few brands who work on it. So for me, it's a no brainer, Castelli Sanremo 3.2 Speed suit for 3 seasons and Sanremo Thermosuit for winter. And it's amazingly confortable (no straps, no double layers), what else ?
Bought another SanRemo3.2 speedsuit on sale...I need professional help! :smartass:
Attachments
July-2018 023+.jpg
July-2018 027+.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

I love my castelli and would love to try the expensive Giros. My mid-level Giros now feel like a Skechers with velcro strap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

RTW wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 pm
themidge wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 am
Socks that I would usually wear in normal life, basically not sports socks.
If you really want I can post some pictures later :D
Okay Midge. I feel for you. PM me your details. I will send you some cycling socks if you post them on here!
Here goes, I received the socks on Friday, but it's taken until today to test them all out!
They're Assos Equipe, dunno what that means but it sounds fancy.
You know you've made it when your socks have a left and a right :) :

What's better than odd socks? Socks that are supposed to be odd!
These ones match the rail bridge:
Be seen, be safe:

I have never done anything so strange on a bike ride as take pictures of my feet. I'm thinking of entering the foot modelling business, but I suspect I wouldn't make a huge amount of money :wink: .

P.S. Sorry about the hairy legs, gotta keep the Scottish wind out :D.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

I just got some La Passione stuff. Good price, 3 days from Italy to the left coast of the US on 2 orders. Ive had cheap stuff from performance and more expensive Jerseys from Capo, Pi, Pactimo ect. I think material, cut, grippers are all big differences. The cheap stuff seems to stretch, and doesnt hold the garment in place. The La Passione stuff surprised me. The bibs have grippers on the front and not the rear, the straps are wide and spaced to the side of the chest which I like. The jersey has nice grippers on the arms and back. Cut was racey with a low V type collar and pockets stay in place where they should, never worked to the side even with heavey load. Mesh under the arms and back. I will be ordering more from them for sure.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

I've tried heaps of brands, but come back to the same couple. I'm of the opinion that I'm happy with 105 or Ultegra over Dura-Ace on the bike but I want top quality kit. It really does fit and function a lot better. I keep coming back to Assos and Isadore for jerseys. I do like the Isadore thermal bib shorts too but bought a large instead of a Medium and wish I got the medium, they are slightly long in the leg for me. Really like my Q36.5 summer gloves, vest and arm warmers but tbh it's never on sale and it's just too expensive here in Australia to justify for me. I like the RedWhite bib shorts too, but prefer the material used in the Assos shorts.

henryj30

by henryj30

jeanjacques wrote:I'm always intrigued to see all of this trend of aero bike with all of this marginal gain and aside of this, same people without care about the aero of their cloth.
Castelli is one of the few brands who work on it. So for me, it's a no brainer, Castelli Sanremo 3.2 Speed suit for 3 seasons and Sanremo Thermosuit for winter. And it's amazingly confortable (no straps, no double layers), what else ?
I was looking at this suit today. Total noob rider but I hope it lasts a long time!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

themidge wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:13 pm
RTW wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 pm
themidge wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:20 am
Socks that I would usually wear in normal life, basically not sports socks.
If you really want I can post some pictures later :D
Okay Midge. I feel for you. PM me your details. I will send you some cycling socks if you post them on here!
Here goes, I received the socks on Friday, but it's taken until today to test them all out!
They're Assos Equipe, dunno what that means but it sounds fancy.
You know you've made it when your socks have a left and a right :) :

What's better than odd socks? Socks that are supposed to be odd!
These ones match the rail bridge:
Be seen, be safe:

I have never done anything so strange on a bike ride as take pictures of my feet. I'm thinking of entering the foot modelling business, but I suspect I wouldn't make a huge amount of money :wink: .

P.S. Sorry about the hairy legs, gotta keep the Scottish wind out :D.
This pleases me!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Great “sock post” @themidge. It made me laugh, and that pleases me. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

:D

iankovski

by iankovski

Guys, I’m looking for some tip to buy some Assos regarding their size.

I’m quite small and chubby. 174cm, 80kg, 95 waist, 100cm hip, 102cm chest, 79cm.

According their website my bib size should be XL and shirt L. But I’m feeling quite large since I’m intending losing some weight ASAP.

Could you help me?

mvcap

by mvcap

Check out the Assos Apparel Questions thread as that would be really helpful, lots of activity there

iankovski

by iankovski

mvcap wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:09 pm
Check out the Assos Apparel Questions thread as that would be really helpful, lots of activity there
That’s it! Thanks

TonyM

by TonyM

iankovski wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm
Guys, I’m looking for some tip to buy some Assos regarding their size.

I’m quite small and chubby. 174cm, 80kg, 95 waist, 100cm hip, 102cm chest, 79cm.

According their website my bib size should be XL and shirt L. But I’m feeling quite large since I’m intending losing some weight ASAP.

Could you help me?
I am 171cm and 80kg (winter) and I need M for bibs, jerseys, jackets etc...in their race fit line (Equipe)
When I am 70kg (summer) I need S for the bibs and some jerseys.

BE careful that depending on their line (Equipe vs. Mille for example) the fit is very different! :smartass:

surfinguru

by surfinguru

Hey Guys, long time Capo wearer, but getting dissolutioned with their current offerings. I'm 6'0, ~158lbs and wear a large in all Capo gear. Wondering who all is wearing Pactimo as I'm thinking about grabbing a couple of their Acent Aero jerseys while they're on discount. Can anyone porovide some insight on these specific jerseys, maybe comparative sizing vs Capo and thoughts on Pactimo as a whole?
2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

I’m 6’-1” and usually around 180lbs. I find Pactimo medium to fit nice but is too short while their large is long enough but not tight enough. I have a winter kit that I use because I’m usually a bit bigger in winter time. The summer medium kit I have burst all the stitching in the straps almost right away because they just weren’t long enough.