2017 foil premium mechanical?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Picked up a good deal on a foil premium local frame thats di2. Was wondering if this thing can run mechanical or am i stuck with etap or di2? I assumed i could run mechanical but im unsure about cabling now. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

Beaver

by Beaver

No personal expierence but with an Addict it wouldn't work, as it lacks the counterholder on the downtube.

But with the Foil you should only need the mechanical insert for the top of the downtube and maybe also the one on the rear. These should be availiable as spare parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Beaver wrote:No personal expierence but with an Addict it wouldn't work, as it lacks the counterholder on the downtube.

But with the Foil you should only need the mechanical insert for the top of the downtube and maybe also the one on the rear. These should be availiable as spare parts.
yes thats what i was thinking. heres a pic of the metal insert on the downtube. it only has holes for 2 cables but looks like theres definitely a spot for 3. Image

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

You can change that piece to Di2. I got with my frame both inserts so have extra mechanicals.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

TurboKoo wrote:You can change that piece to Di2. I got with my frame both inserts so have extra mechanicals.
its already di2. did you mean yours has 3 holes for thrme downtube and another insert coming out for the rear derailleur? thanks.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

protocol_droid wrote:
TurboKoo wrote:You can change that piece to Di2. I got with my frame both inserts so have extra mechanicals.
its already di2. did you mean yours has 3 holes for thrme downtube and another insert coming out for the rear derailleur? thanks.

ok i found this pic. clearly 3 holes there. thanks for the info everyone. i thought there were holes in the neck to provide routing based on other frames i saw.Image

hannawald

by hannawald

ask Scott dealer. I had Foil Disc mechanical and my dealer converted it to di2, there is a special set of small frame parts from Scott for that. So it must be possible the other way.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

hannawald wrote:ask Scott dealer. I had Foil Disc mechanical and my dealer converted it to di2, there is a special set of small frame parts from Scott for that. So it must be possible the other way.
i just got back from a scott dealer and the kit is called the "scott di2 grommet kit". apparently it has everything for both e and mech setups not just one.

octave

by octave

hey sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i am guessing your foil premium is the rim brake version? if can you share your experience with the rear brake mounted under the chainstay? i started a thread about it because i am considering a 2018 scott foil rc.... go here for the thread:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=152121

thanks!

o

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

octave wrote:hey sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i am guessing your foil premium is the rim brake version? if can you share your experience with the rear brake mounted under the chainstay? i started a thread about it because i am considering a 2018 scott foil rc.... go here for the thread:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=152121

thanks!

o
it will be a bit a time since im still gathering parts but yes i will comment in this and that thread later.

Tobic

by Tobic

Got to pull this up. Just finished building up a rim brake Scott Foil 10 frameset, and I'm having issues with the metal insert that goes into the down tube to stay in place. As I'm running eTap, its only the rear brake cable running through it, which is under tension. Once I move the handle bar just slightly into any direction, the metal insert will pop out half. Using the middle hole to route the brake cable. Shortening the brake cable housing didn't make it much better.
Anyone having a fix for this? I'm afraid about the metal insert starting to permanently damange the carbon when it keeps popping out, or when I use the rear brake with the insert not properly inserted.

Otherwise, love this machine, a real racing rocket that feels planted onto the road. Rear below-chainstay brake works very well (R8000 version), no troubles so far.
protocol_droid wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:10 pm
Beaver wrote:No personal expierence but with an Addict it wouldn't work, as it lacks the counterholder on the downtube.

yes thats what i was thinking. heres a pic of the metal insert on the downtube. it only has holes for 2 cables but looks like theres definitely a spot for 3. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com