C60 rear brake cable woes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Details, details...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Its ALL in the details. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cervelolite

by Cervelolite

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 pm
This thread inspired me to finally tend to something on my own bike. But since I was at it, and this thread was active, I thought I'd just see if I could show a running of the C60 brake cable without a guide. The final install will have a small piece of flared tubing going in from the front to prevent rub on the inside carbon as it makes the bend, and the rear long piece of liner will have little rubber o-rings attached to it to prevent the noise from the cable hitting the inside of the top tube when going over rough stuff... but for now, here's routing the brake cable....
https://vimeo.com/274281066#t=0s
You're a genius! Will try the flared ends to get rid of that final bit of grittiness...thanks pal! :D

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks @Cervelolite, yes the liner, providing it's thick enough, with just a little flare at the ends is all you really need to get around the inside edge of the cable port and eliminate the rough cable pull feeling. In my original C60 build I actually superglued little O rings to the extreme ends of the liner to simulate the flared ends shown below. But I always knew the o-rings had a bit of compression to them, and while it never bothered me while braking, I prefer the solid flared ends of the tubing between the ferrule and the port hole. Trek puts them in their bikes and that's where I collect these little guys from. I suppose just a hot little cone shaped teensy anvil might work to flare the ends as well, just soften it up enough to flare them out. But so far, I have enough of a supply that I haven't resorted to that yet.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

You can buy ferrules with a little tail already attached, I have them in my C60. Jagwire make them, nosed ferrules they call them
Attachments
5381EC60-3929-4CA2-AE4F-75AF3F46A0EB.jpeg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, and I have some of those but they’re all for the derailleur cables (I’m sure they make them for brake cables as well I’d assume). I suspect they’d work just fine as well but I find the plastic in them is more easily “kinked” when hitting some sharp edges and I guess I just prefer the metal ferrules for this application, as they seem more durable and elegant somehow.
Shimano has the same sort of thing, and they’re fine for the more straight shot affairs, but I do prefer a bit thicker PTFE liner for any place where a cable encounters an “edge”.

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive used Shimano Dura Ace ferrules and Jagwire, both with tongues, in the brake and the gear cable ports (with Campy cables) . The back brake on the C60 was crap without these. The green guide tube for the rear brake is supposed to be used on the gear cables where they exit the bottom of the downtube. The C60 really is a rough old frame when it comes to the details. Emperor's new clothes.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

wilwil wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 pm
The C60 really is a rough old frame when it comes to the details. Emperor's new clothes.
I agree 100% with this. I've now owned 2 top-end Colnago framesets and I won't be fooled again.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:27 pm
Yeah, and I have some of those but they’re all for the derailleur cables (I’m sure they make them for brake cables as well I’d assume). I suspect they’d work just fine as well but I find the plastic in them is more easily “kinked” when hitting some sharp edges and I guess I just prefer the metal ferrules for this application, as they seem more durable and elegant somehow.
Shimano has the same sort of thing, and they’re fine for the more straight shot affairs, but I do prefer a bit thicker PTFE liner for any place where a cable encounters an “edge”.
The ones I’ve got have a metal ferrule, albeit black, with a hard plastic tail, works perfectly on mine. Also sized for brake housing, rather than gears.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I need a supply of those things. They come in handy. It was nice to be able to make a long one in the case of the rear entry port here so that I could attach some o-rings to it as well.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Does appear to be some different types and no easy way to figure out which is which online. The dealer I bought my frame from gave them to me so I need to pop back in and ask next time I’m nearby

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I actually went to a Trek store hoping to get a supply. Was able to get a few lying around so that’s good enough for now. Haven’t resorted to flaring the ends with a match of anything like that yet however. :)

Cervelolite

by Cervelolite

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 pm
Thanks @Cervelolite, yes the liner, providing it's thick enough, with just a little flare at the ends is all you really need to get around the inside edge of the cable port and eliminate the rough cable pull feeling. In my original C60 build I actually superglued little O rings to the extreme ends of the liner to simulate the flared ends shown below. But I always knew the o-rings had a bit of compression to them, and while it never bothered me while braking, I prefer the solid flared ends of the tubing between the ferrule and the port hole. Trek puts them in their bikes and that's where I collect these little guys from. I suppose just a hot little cone shaped teensy anvil might work to flare the ends as well, just soften it up enough to flare them out. But so far, I have enough of a supply that I haven't resorted to that yet.
Just finished this - no more grit :D .