In search of new stem/bar combo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

surfinguru

by surfinguru

I'm running stock Specialized Comp stem with Ritchey WCS carbon bars and looking to upgrade. In regards to the stem, I'm looking for a touch longer and a little flatter. (100/ -6?) Additionally, I'm tired of the "Ergo" bend of the bars. I'm currently leaning towards Spesh S-Works Sl stem w/Aerofly bars combo, but open to other suggestions.

Two Q's; if this was yours, what would you pick and is there really a noticable difference between ride feel with carbon vs alu?

2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

romanmoser

by romanmoser

that stem directed to the sky :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

surfinguru

by surfinguru

I know!!!! :shock:
2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

2lo8

by 2lo8

Kalloy UNO is always a good option for light, cheap, and good. It's not polished up like the specialized one. They're good for trying out a stem size, and good for keeping too if you don't mind the lack of branding.

I don't like carbon bars. They stick out and are prone to get damaged in a crash, it's stressed as a curved beam, damage is hidden by bar tape, and they're clamped and have to be torqued correctly since they're carbon. At the very least try to get something with some grip material for the hood area. It's usually pretty difficult to get a torque wrench in there so it has to be done by feel. You have all the normal carbon failure modes and then some when it comes to bars.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.