I can't heat mold my Bont Vaypor S

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I've heard of someone getting caught in the rain and later finding that his shoes fitted perfectly on the next ride. I might one nice summer day try this out by immersing my shoes in 70c water before putting them on for a ride.
Less is more.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

haha sorry for the slang... yes, by toasty I mean nice and warm... like really warm! We heated them from the outside and then used whatever we could on the inside to "form it" If you end up having lots of problems with the shoes, it could actually be manufacturing.. I had a pair of shoes custom made before teh Vaypor S came out, they actually dont make the model anymore, anyways, the shoe was constantly rubbing the top of my baby toe.. it got so bad that my baby toe was turning red and swelling up... we tried heat molding that thing countless times .. it would work for a while, but in a matter of weeks would lose the shape and return to the way it was... Bont ended up making me entirely new shoes, and at that point the Vaypor S had come out so I paid the difference and got those.. no problems since... on a sidenote the last post speaks of them getting wet, and yes, they do seem to change a little after being wet... I have another very old set of Bonts I had custom as well, they have now more or less become my indoor trainer shoes... I ride in the basement and there is not alot of heat down there, but naturally as you ride things "heat up" I find the shoes generally very tight the next day , but as things warm up they expand... in any event, heat em up, push whatever you need in there to form it...

leandrofresh wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:09 pm
My friend is a distributor for Bont and even on my customs we molded them. If I recall properly he just used a hairdryer and it got things toasty.. the screwdriver or other solid object works good as well for stubborn spots to push em..
Got toasty? You mean they got burned? Im sorry, Im spanish and I don't understand everything perfect haha.

I managed to mold them a bit. 80º for 25minutes worked better than 70, but I need more room on the ball of the foot right next to the 1st metatharsal...

Do you blow with the hairdryer from outside the shoe? or from the inside?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

Hi guys. Thanks everyone for the help!

First ride with the molded shoes. 80º for 25min and a bit of hairdryer for the tough spots worked. Although, I have to say I forgot to remove the insoles and I burned a bit the right insole. I used blue specialized innersoles instead and I have to say things got better, the stock ones are too thin for a sole as rigid... I'd say they fit me 90% at the moment. So further molding will be done, but first I want to break them down a bit. They are fine for a two hour route with a 40min climb, lets see what happens after a 4h-5h ride with 4 climbs...

I wouldn't have done it without you guys. So thanks!

donutlolo2

by donutlolo2

Hey for those that used a hairdryer on the Vaypor S, did you remove the cleats and hardware before doing so? Or would it be fine to leave them in if I just need to work out a few spots? Thanks!

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

donutlolo2 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:17 pm
Hey for those that used a hairdryer on the Vaypor S, did you remove the cleats and hardware before doing so? Or would it be fine to leave them in if I just need to work out a few spots? Thanks!
Ive never removed any hardware when taking the hairdryer to mine.

Weber

by Weber

I bought some bont vaypor S and I have to do the baking process.
Has anyone had any luck molding the ankle? Carbon so high rubs me behind the foot

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I don't think there is any heat-mouldable carbon anywhere near the ankle area...
Also the adjustments you can do with the heat moulding are really minor.
If the shoes are not 90% OK when you first put them on, forget about it...

alanyu

by alanyu

Weber wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:07 pm
Has anyone had any luck molding the ankle? Carbon so high rubs me behind the foot
I had the same issue. I just pushed that part outwards.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Weber wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:07 pm
Hair dryer and push them out... some parts you just can't fix unfortunately...

Weber

by Weber

One thing I notice about my bonts is that the cleats graphs on the sole are offset from each other. Did anyone else notice? I know that you should not trust the guide marks that they put, but in general they have always been reliable for me.

I am part of the group that finds the bont incredible. I used sphyre 901, 902. Sidi shot 2. Specialized Torch (the mid range) and Giant Conduit in the past.

cgrubb

by cgrubb

leandrofresh wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:49 pm
Hi guys.

Today I got my new pair of Bont Vaypor S. I tried to heat mold them many times without succes. I used the recommended temperature (70º C) and the recommended time (20min) and I tried like 3 times already and I can't feel the shoes giving at all. I did it before with a pair of Lake's and worked like a charm... Any hints?

I can't ride them like they are out of the box. They kill my feet on the outer side. Also, I'm not sure they shipped me the right shoes, cause I measured the insole and its 9,3cm for a WIDE 46,5, and its less than a regular s-works. The shoe is around 10.5cm, Can you help me with that too? Do you have a pair of wide's in a similar size?
Thanks.
I am a big fan of Bont.....have been using semi custom Vaypor for 8 years....onto my third pair now. However, the heat moulding feature is pretty poor, only very minor changes possible.....on advice from Bont I cranked up the temperature to 80+ and the time to 30' but have still only ever beeen able to make the very slightest of improvements. You will not be able to change the shape of the carbon tub. If the shoes are hurting on the outer side I suggest that you ordered the wrong size, I made this mistake once when I needed a new pair at short notice - so I had to buy a standard pair off the shelf - the fitting guide said I was within 1-2mm of these fitting me so I took the risk - big mistake, they killed me and despite trying my best to mould them to a better fit, I eventually had to sell them and order some semi customs which allow wider widths, adjustments to foot volume and you can have different widths left vs right. So the moral of my experience is to use the size guide very, very carefully - if anything size up if it is at all marginal - if you can't get a good fit, then go semi custom - well worth the money (€500 for my last pair) if you have weird feet, these shoes last forever (typically 3+ years / 60k km for me per pair) and comfort is worth paying for.

naavt

by naavt

I've bought a pair of Vaypor S shoes in WIde thinking that I could mold them to my feet but soon discovered that the molding of Bont shoes is very limited.

After many atempts (including ones with higher temperature and trying to mold them with several solid objects like screwdrivers), I've reached a point where I couldn't stretch out the molding anymore, and I'm talking about a mere 2 milimeters or so.

I've finally give up and tried Lake in Wide and out of the box they are a much nicer fit to my feet.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

naavt wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:29 pm
I've bought a pair of Vaypor S shoes in WIde thinking that I could mold them to my feet but soon discovered that the molding of Bont shoes is very limited.

After many atempts (including ones with higher temperature and trying to mold them with several solid objects like screwdrivers), I've reached a point where I couldn't stretch out the molding anymore, and I'm talking about a mere 2 milimeters or so.

I've finally give up and tried Lake in Wide and out of the box they are a much nicer fit to my feet.
This was almost exactly my experience with Bont a few years ago, too.

I used a heat gun and the handle of a screw driver to force out maybe an extra 2mm when I needed probably 4 in one spot.

Tried a few pairs of Lakes and the 301's in extra wide solved my problem out of the box.