new bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Tough choice now. The 795 can be with me begining of july in time for the 24hr.

The 785 is £1000 cheaper but could be longer, up to 10 weeks.

The madone 9 was out of stock in my size. Not sure about the emonda. The koppenberg is bike I really like but since it's not made anymore and it has Shimano on the chainstays. That's only a problem because I would have to buy a Shimano groupset and I have lots of campag in my stash boxes.

The other considerations I have, is the 24hr TT. I have only done it on the 795 and any thing I buy has to be good for this event. The 785 stands a chance.

If I go with the 785 I am going to have to work out which bike I currently have I can use for this silly TT. The are a couple that could do the job well if I set them up right. That's the one thing about the 795 it is ridiculously comfortable.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Koppenberg was super limited and I had the same reservations about the Shimano logos all over it. But I put full Campy on it anyway and it looks great, especially in the Viper Red. If you ever find one for sale, I’d recommend snapping it up. Give it a respray and you’re off to the races. It’s one of those “keeper” bikes for sure and super rare and unique.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muti

by muti

Having ridden both 795 and 785rs, the 795 is more comfortable bike for sure(especially with the correct for the occasion use of the elastomers).The 785 is more of a stage racing bike and I don't think it can offer you the comfort you are seeking for a 24hrs tt.If you could wait,the new Madone with isospeed seems an interesting option for your purpose of usage,but then again we don't know if it is going to be offered only for discs.Tough choice for sure!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Damm the 785 huez rs can be with me before the 21st as well.

I suppose I need to wait till I find out how much look will charge me for a new fork and the frame repairs and painting. They can sort out my creaky BB while they are at it.

If I had the cash if buy both. Anyone know where there is a bag is of gold lying about.?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

While I do wish you the best with the Look repairs and timing, it would partially restore my faith in humanity by a tiny bit of the entire process took less than 6-9 months!!

Buy the one you like most and enjoy!!

muti

by muti

I am right with you bm0p700f! That's it,I am going to order my 785rs(yes I liked THAT much)to keep company to the 795!I tried hard over the years to be a Colnago but my heart is always going to be Look(or Luuk,hahaha).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Given the frame damage to the 795 is minor all it needs is a new fork I have decided it's going to be a 785 I buy. The geometry is identical to the 795 which is good. That's no.21. where will it end. I am also going to need a bigger garage.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You currently own 21 bikes, All in your possession, and all for you?
You win.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Doesn't owning so many bikes result in each bike being less of an influence.

Like [total cycling pleasure and passion]/n = [pleasure of riding that particular bike]

Having 2-3 bikes can increase your total passion somewhat but it must level off somewhere.

Maybe I'm way off :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup... way off.

mattr

by mattr

Depends, 21 bikes filling the same niche, or similar niches would be a bit boring and only for the hardcore collector, or those with money to burn, i have seen this, millionaire with a penchant for ex pros race bikes and "unusual road oddities" last i saw (in the late 90's) he had 60+ bikes and was building a new "garage" to house them all. I wouldn't be surprised if his collection has doubled by now and the garage has been extended.

21 bikes across the full spread of the cycling world is really good.

Gravel, CX (two identical of course), Road (Aero/climb/allrounder), TT, Touring, Audax, XC (rigid/HT/FS), Trail, DH and so on. Though the overlaps get a bit silly!
bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 pm
I am also going to need a bigger garage.
Garage? Mine live in the house, only 14 though. Or maybe 12, i'll have to go check again.

muti

by muti

Nice to hear from people with the same way of thinking across the world!If you started cycling back in 87 like me(and propably a lot of you in this thread)you will find out that bikes sum up quite easily.And then it's this steel vs carbon bikes think that makes it even worst!But that's not the main issue;the main issue is the amount of designer bags and shoes you have to buy to Mrs to justify them,hahaha!Anyway,back to the topic,great decision with the 785rs ,I am sure you are going to LOVE it!I am currently trying to find out if they offer it in pro team colour(Mondrian) with zed3 cranks as frameset.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Not zed3 only zed2. The two are not interchangeable.

As for my bikes they are all a little different
My but there is overlap too.

There is a snow/ice bike for example. There is an old MTB I never use but I can't sell it either because I'll regret it.

The two 29er I have one single speed, one geared are both rigid and all I do on them is road/gravel/xc anyway.

Out of the 18 built up, no 19 is nearly done. No 20 is in for painting and 21 is not here yet, 16 are used some far more than others. Given I ride near enough every day and around 250 miles a week it is difficult for me to have more motivation about bikes.

Fortunately I have a tollerant wife. We are selling it it house at present and my wife has to show folks the garage.... She spotted the Sarto in there and said you have a new bike. I bet that cost X and it did. She's not daft.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Look are going to take a look at the 795 creaky BB as well. A new fork painted to match my frame is no problem either.

As my daughter said if you break one daddy you have many more.

muti

by muti

Thanks for your info,I wrote by mistake zed3.The problem is that I least here, they offer it on team oscaro colour,not pro team-Mondrian.I guess I have to wait until Eurobike which is fortunately earlier this year to see ,maybe they are going to offer it with the new oscaro colours which is basically a white version of mondrian ( I think it's also glossy).Thanks again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com