new bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well since the Look 795 has to go back to look for crash repairs/replacement fork painted in the right colours I will be without it for a few weeks/ months. When I get it back this can be a spare back up frame.

The Sarto/Campagnolo promo bike can become the main race bike this summer but since this is so precious I really need to sort a replacement out.

So another 795 or a 785 huez RS. Maybe something else. The 3T strada appeals but I would need to spend more money on disc brake kit. frankly most aerobikes just don't appeal except for the Time Skylon, it must be a french thing. This is for road racing and long distance TT's and the 795 was a perfect for me.

I know thr 785 is not a aero bike but it looks right and should do the job well. not sure if there is something i have missed. Epoca R60 perhaps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm going to guess that when the look 795 came out it was probably considered very spacey, different and outrageous. Probably like many aero bikes today you don't like very much.

Maybe you have to take another leap, like with the look 795, to be as pleased with a new bike as you came to be with the look.

If money were no issue I'd probably choose a Madone 9. Simply because it deals with the issue of stiffness quite nicely. It's possible to take a low compromise approach in stiffening up the frame when the comfort is maintained by the flexing seat tube. Is it worth the money to me? No way. I still ride cheap frames because I don't want to worry about scratches and paint chips. I think it takes away the fun of riding.

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I dont worry about chips just how it rides. The madone is alright it does not offend.

sib

by sib

I like the look of the Huez RS as well, but I'm after a ride with something approaching a 54cm TT.
Unfortunately, the Huez RS has nothing between 52.8cm and 55.5cm. Seems quite a big gap to me..

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Colnago C64?
Time?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The c64 is like my Sarto. I would never want to race it, crash it or chip it.

The look is a bike while they xpensive somehow I don't care if it chips or gets damaged. I enjoy it regardless. Also the look has the ideal geometry

The madone 9 does not.

59cm top tube, 130mm stem, 200mm ish head tube on normal angles.

The look has its stem positioned pointing down so I have a stack of a 200mm head tube with a normal stem with no spacers. BB to saddle height is 795mm.

It not just about how the bike looks it has to fit properly.

dim

by dim

an older Giant TCR composite frame ...

add decent wheels and tyres and a decent groupset and you have a pretty good fast ride

Mine is a 2011 but I have upgraded the wheels to HED Belgium Plus with Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearings) and Cx Ray spokes. I'm busy upgrading the groupset to full Dura Ace 9000 and I already have the Stages G2 powermeter.

This bike fits me like a glove, and I'm get very good speed on this. This is my Audax bike but I will get lighter tub wheels for days when I want to smash a few Strava PB's

Heavier than the later TCR's but this is a total different ride ... When I'm done upgrading to DA 9000, I'm hoping that it comes in just under the 7Kg mark ...The geometry looks similar to the Madone 9 series (compact)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Actually looking at the madone size chart the 60cm frame would work. I was just advised wrongly this morning. Options options.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

If French is a must what about the Lapierre Aircode?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

thats a dull bike to me. French bikes should have some frenchness about them. its difficult to define. That lapierre looks a bit generic and not very french at all.

I could spend less and have a genesis Zero which is not a bad option as I can get one trade. It one attractive point if I crash again and damage it, it is a whole lot cheaper to replace but do I want to be sensible?

wilwil

by wilwil

Ridley Noah SL?

tomycs

by tomycs

I've read abt the 785Huez RS in this months issue of LeCycle (it won bike of the year against Aeroad, TCR, Emonda, Aircode and a b'twin). This being said it looks like an all'rounder and Le Cycle like that (iirc last 6 years or so were split between only 3 models Canyon Ultimate, Cannondale Supersix and Specialized Tarmac, winning Le Cycle bike of the year).

I have not tried the bike, so can't really recommend but can't help but think the one below would go well with your IRC tubeless tyres :-)

muti

by muti

I had the chance to test ride the Look 785 rs for two weeks and it is orgasmic.More of climbers bike compaired to the 795 but the stiffness amasingly is still there.A pure racing bike and I truely liked the simple yet understated beautiful design of it.It s stiff and accurate and doesn't try to hide it,it's a race machine ,love it or hate it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think it between the look 795 and the 785 huez rs model. The problem is I am poor up hills and the 795 puts me in an aero position all my other bikes just can't manage.

I have not read any reviews of the 785. Just one proper look at it and it got me thinking, that is just right.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What about a Trek Emonda H1, size 60 with a couple centimeters of spacers under the stem. Or are you looking for a more "aero specific" bike, or just more "special". Looking at your geometry requirements, so close to mine, and the spacers don't look at all bad the way the emonda headtube comes up and tapers nicely into them. The handling is very good. I'd be leary of one myself simply because of the super lightweight, which I am not. But I really like the geometry and it handles very well, at least my Koppenberg and the Emonda SL (both size 60) do. My only reservation with the SLR H1 is whether, due to it's ultralight weight, it would be stable enough in sketchy descents for me. I've only ridden one around the block a few times and it's definitely not as "laterally" (torsionally?) stiff as my Koppenberg for example.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com