Stem lengths on a Giant TCR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

devonbiker

by devonbiker

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 pm
You’re rolling your shoulders forward a bit and your elbows are almost locked. Basically it looks like you’ve adapted the TCR to fit like a Defy, but the stem is still a bit too long.
Didn’t get a bike fit at the shop so it’s all default positions apart from the saddle height. The only adjustment I’ve made is the saddle height.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

northwestern

by northwestern

Try moving your saddle as far forward as possible and point it downward.

MattAttack

by MattAttack

devonbiker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:00 pm
MattAttack wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm
I have just had a fit on my TCR Advanced PRO 0 disc (M/L) and the fitter swapped the 110mm stem for a 100mm. With the stems side by side they don't look to be 10mm different but you can feel it when you ride it.

I'll see how I get on with it (stem's are only about £25) but might go back to putting the 110mm on once I'm a bit more used to the bike.
What's your height? I've just ordered a 100mm Contact SL stem from Tredz (£42.99). Hopefully that small difference will do the trick.

How are you getting on with the Advanced Pro 0 disc? Love the look of that bike. I went for the Advanced Pro 1 which looks similar (red logo instead of chrome) and mechanical Ultegra and rim brakes.
I’m 5’ 11” with a 33” inside leg. I had a fit done before buying the bike and I was in between the stack and reach of most endurance and race bikes. The TCRis a bit longer and Lowe than a Canyon Ultimate but I wanted to buy locally and there was no Di2 Supersix Disc model available in the UK. I test rode the defy and the synapse but they just felt lacklustre and the acceleration of the TCR was great. I’ve since returned to the same fitter who has fitted the bike to me and I have dropped the stem by 10mm to be conservative at first but I think I’ll drop it further after I’ve ridden it for a bit longer and possibly go back to the 110mm stem too, maybe one with a -6 degree rise over the standard giant -8.

The day I brought it back from the shop (not setup yet perfectly yet). Has a different saddle now and a few other tweaks but I love the discs and di2, albeit an expensive option over the model below.

wingguy

by wingguy

northwestern wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 pm
Because...?

zmjones

by zmjones

wingguy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 pm
northwestern wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:23 pm
Because...?
this is bad advice i agree. this puts you in a more tt-esque position where you can handle big saddle-bar drop. it ain't for cruising about though. definitely doesn't fit the OPs situation.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

To the OP - that bike is the correct size for you so stop worrying. The question is whether or not it is the correct bike for you. If you can get comfortable with your torso more horizontal than you may be OK. But some body types just don't get along with a more aggressive position. A shorter stem, shortest reach bars, spacer tower, etc will all help, but ultimately the solution is to have a bike with geometry that makes you happy.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:25 am
To the OP - that bike is the correct size for you so stop worrying. The question is whether or not it is the correct bike for you. If you can get comfortable with your torso more horizontal than you may be OK. But some body types just don't get along with a more aggressive position. A shorter stem, shortest reach bars, spacer tower, etc will all help, but ultimately the solution is to have a bike with geometry that makes you happy.
Well the Defy I felt too upright and wanted more of a stretch. The TCR is the opposite situation. The TCR is definitely what I am looking for but just needs the slightly shorter stem to make it more comfortable for longer rides.

Bear in mind I have only taken the TCR out once and that was a 55 mile ride so was out for over 3 hours.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

[/quote]

[/quote]

That’s good to know.

Well the Defy I felt too upright and wanted more of a stretch. The TCR is the opposite situation. The TCR is definitely what I am looking for but just needs the slightly shorter stem to make it more comfortable for longer rides.

Bear in mind I have only taken the TCR out once and that was a 55 mile ride so was out for over 3 hours.
Last edited by devonbiker on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

How is anyone supposed to help you?

You post pictures of yourself and then say "well thats not actually my normal riding position".

The guys on here are super helpful but you've got to learn to help yourself too. No good bike fitter is going to offer fit advice based on a static photograph and nor can/should anyone else.
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

devonbiker

by devonbiker

onemanpeloton wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:15 am
How is anyone supposed to help you?

You post pictures of yourself and then say "well thats not actually my normal riding position".

The guys on here are super helpful but you've got to learn to help yourself too. No good bike fitter is going to offer fit advice based on a static photograph and nor can/should anyone else.
You are right - it's hard to adopt a natural riding position when you are leaning against a fence. I will set up my camera and tripod in the park and will video myself cycling past and grab some stills. I agree the people here are very helpful and I am very grateful.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

MattAttack wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:13 pm
devonbiker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:00 pm
MattAttack wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm
I have just had a fit on my TCR Advanced PRO 0 disc (M/L) and the fitter swapped the 110mm stem for a 100mm. With the stems side by side they don't look to be 10mm different but you can feel it when you ride it.

I'll see how I get on with it (stem's are only about £25) but might go back to putting the 110mm on once I'm a bit more used to the bike.
What's your height? I've just ordered a 100mm Contact SL stem from Tredz (£42.99). Hopefully that small difference will do the trick.

How are you getting on with the Advanced Pro 0 disc? Love the look of that bike. I went for the Advanced Pro 1 which looks similar (red logo instead of chrome) and mechanical Ultegra and rim brakes.
I’m 5’ 11” with a 33” inside leg. I had a fit done before buying the bike and I was in between the stack and reach of most endurance and race bikes. The TCRis a bit longer and Lowe than a Canyon Ultimate but I wanted to buy locally and there was no Di2 Supersix Disc model available in the UK. I test rode the defy and the synapse but they just felt lacklustre and the acceleration of the TCR was great. I’ve since returned to the same fitter who has fitted the bike to me and I have dropped the stem by 10mm to be conservative at first but I think I’ll drop it further after I’ve ridden it for a bit longer and possibly go back to the 110mm stem too, maybe one with a -6 degree rise over the standard giant -8.

The day I brought it back from the shop (not setup yet perfectly yet). Has a different saddle now and a few other tweaks but I love the discs and di2, albeit an expensive option over the model below.

Beautiful bike. One of my favouirtes of all the Giant paint jobs. Love the chrome!

MattAttack

by MattAttack

devonbiker wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 am
Beautiful bike. One of my favouirtes of all the Giant paint jobs. Love the chrome!
Thanks! :beerchug: The red is so neon its almost orange.