Stem lengths on a Giant TCR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Just try something and see what suits you. No one here is going to be able to tell you with any certainty what is going to be comfortable for you
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

devonbiker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:37 am
I have always had endurance geometry so it will take a bit of getting used to, which is fine as it was my intention to make the step up to a race bike.
This is the crux of the issue.

MattAttack

by MattAttack

I have just had a fit on my TCR Advanced PRO 0 disc (M/L) and the fitter swapped the 110mm stem for a 100mm. With the stems side by side they don't look to be 10mm different but you can feel it when you ride it.

I'll see how I get on with it (stem's are only about £25) but might go back to putting the 110mm on once I'm a bit more used to the bike.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

MattAttack wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm
I have just had a fit on my TCR Advanced PRO 0 disc (M/L) and the fitter swapped the 110mm stem for a 100mm. With the stems side by side they don't look to be 10mm different but you can feel it when you ride it.

I'll see how I get on with it (stem's are only about £25) but might go back to putting the 110mm on once I'm a bit more used to the bike.
What's your height? I've just ordered a 100mm Contact SL stem from Tredz (£42.99). Hopefully that small difference will do the trick.

How are you getting on with the Advanced Pro 0 disc? Love the look of that bike. I went for the Advanced Pro 1 which looks similar (red logo instead of chrome) and mechanical Ultegra and rim brakes.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Recently I rode a 100 stem rental bike and steering was totally fine compared to the 110 I am used to. Probably at 90 it will start to feel too nervous and also look a bit off. Check the reach of the bars - a very common number is 85, try to look for smth of 70/75. For a while I was looking at the Zipp aero bars.

wingguy

by wingguy

RussellS wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 am
I looked up a 2018 M/L TCR Advanced on the Giant website. Geometry is 56.9cm toptube. If you are 5' 10.5" then this frame should fit you perfectly with an 11 or 12cm stem and the saddle setback as far as possible. Maybe the handlebar reach is exceptionally long. Or you sit bolt upright when riding. Otherwise this bike should fit you perfectly. Or you are an inch or two shorter than you claim. The Medium frame has a toptube of 55.1cm. WAY too short for someone who claims they are 5'10.5" tall. Or do you ride with a round humped back instead of a straight back?
This is a perfect example of why absolutist fitting advice should never be given. Especially over the internet. Especially by someone who's never seen the subject in person, let alone on the bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:15 am
Do not adjust your saddle position to make up the distance to the hoods. Every aspect of your fit at out aft of the bottom bracket is a static value based on your physiology.
Arguably so, but only if we assume the saddle is set correctly in the first place. If we know the front of the bike is wrong, why would we be so sure the back of the bike is right? :wink:

devonbiker

by devonbiker

I will put a picture up of me on the bike

hannawald

by hannawald

i have gone through couple of bike fits. i have short hands compared to my body. at the time of my first bike fit i had endurance bike with shorter reach and higher stack. i was recommended 90mm stem on 56(L) bike.. i thought that racing geometry is not for me based on this bike fit.. after couple of years of riding i tried my friends racing bike and i felt much better, it accelerated quicker etc.. so i came to my bike fitter and asked him about his previous recommendation. he told me that he settled that upright position based on the bike i had.. if i had had racing bike that time, he would have recommended different position.. there is a range in which you can comfortably accomodate based on angles of your back.. it can be 3cm on reach from one extreme (upright position) to the other extreme (stretched position, but still within recommended back angles).. with training and core building you can adapt even more.. the same with stack, i am maybe 3cm lower now than i used to be..

guyc

by guyc

devonbiker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 pm
Here you go!

https://www.scotthunterphotography.com/TCR/n-SgbhRX
You look pretty upright to me. Get those arms bent and head down. That’s a really rigid looking position.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

guyc wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 pm
devonbiker wrote:
Here you go!

You look pretty upright to me. Get those arms bent and head down. That’s a really rigid looking position.
Probably not a natural riding position as I was leaning sideways against the fence, but it gives you an idea of reach. The bike is not too large for me then?

guyc

by guyc

devonbiker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 pm
guyc wrote:
devonbiker wrote:
Here you go!

Probably not a natural riding position as I was leaning sideways against the fence, but it gives you an idea of reach. The bike is not too large for me then?
I wouldn’t say so personally. Someone will probs disagree with me though!

You’re running a lot of spacers there. As you get used to the position I’d look to lower that front end.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

guyc wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:55 pm
devonbiker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:50 pm
guyc wrote:
devonbiker wrote:
Here you go!

I wouldn’t say so personally. Someone will probs disagree with me though!

You’re running a lot of spacers there. As you get used to the position I’d look to lower that front end.
I will lower eventually but as my first race bike I will leave the spacers as they are for now. I’m still running a 110mm stem - will swap this with a 100mm tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You’re rolling your shoulders forward a bit and your elbows are almost locked. Basically it looks like you’ve adapted the TCR to fit like a Defy, but the stem is still a bit too long.