Help me build a lightweight 44cm bike, rim brake caliper, under $2K

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hi,

My friend is currently riding a Giant Liv disk bike in XS that is massively too big while weighting in at 22-lbs with pedals, beginner brakes on top of the bar, and the shortest MB stem I could find. She's actually a good athlete doing half dozen marathons a year under 4-hours and rides her bike about 100 miles a week. So now were trying to build her a sub 16-pound bike with a budget of under $2K. Options are limited since most manufacturers don't make frames that small. What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be appreciate it.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

the budget is the hard part...

Maybe a previous model Madone6 or 7 with last generation parts. My wife has a 47cm Madone6 with 9070 Di2 and it's at 15lbs with Al wheelset.
Used obviously because it will tough to find sub $2k new.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

buy used off Ebay .... $2k will get you a good used light Giant TCR or a Scott Addict ...
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

dim wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:10 pm
buy used off Ebay .... $2k will get you a good used light Giant TCR or a Scott Addict ...
No TCR that small. The frame needs to be 44CM or XXS. Looks like I'm a bit too optimistic for price to weight ratio. Maybe I should add an extra pound to make it more realistic :lol:
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

dim wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:26 pm
check this thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/womens ... 46198.html
Some good info here, thanks! I'm leaning toward a 2018 Cannondale Supersix Evo with 105 drivetrain. Local bike shop has them on sale for $1700. The bike will be in the high 16-lbs range in her size and can be reduced with some lighter wheels down the road.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Why does the frame need to be 44cm? 44cm means the frame isn't traditional geometry and has a sloping top tube for 700c wheels. A 46cm c-t with 100mm head tube is going to have a similar standover in the center of the top tube to a 44cm c-t with a 120mm headtube. 44cm or whatever other XXS size can have various top tube lengths ranging from 505mm to 535mm which is quite the spread. For some inexplicable reason, some 46cm frames have shorter c-t measurements because they're psuedo traditional geometry measurements even though frames that small don't really make sense with traditional frames.

Especially when it comes to XXS small frames, listed frame sizes are really not enough to base descisions on.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

For a frame size that small, make sure the bike has 650C wheels. When you scale a normal bike down to the size of a 44cm the wheels must also shrink for an excellent fit and good handling characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Exactly how tall is this person? If she is 5 feet tall (152 cm) or greater than you should be able to find something that works without going to 650 wheels. Won't be easy and whether the fit is perfect will depend on what this person finds comfortable. Look at the geometry of the smallest road bikes on Trek's website to get some idea about what is possible. Often endurance geometry works better for small ladies.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Custom steel frame for 650 ? And an entry level groupset / wheels or second hand. The ride will be more enjoyable and finally faster with a right sized bike than with a 1,5kg lighter wrong sized one.

LouisN

by LouisN

The best short women race on the following around here:

CAAD10 or 12 in size 44cm.
With a well thought build and light wheels it should come under 16 lbs for your budget.
https://www.cannondale.com/en/Canada/Bi ... =undefined
Or
Felt FRW bikes come in size 43 with 700c wheels. Maybe you can find a FR5W for close to your budget.
https://www.feltbicycles.com/Canada/Cat ... /FR5W.aspx

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com