Ovalized rings, anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

NiFTY wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:30 am

So the range of error averaged 2-4% with a maximum of 4.5%, and that was with Osymmetrics. With a q ring which has less ovality and less of a cam design this error will be smaller as the angular velocity will change less over the course of the pedal stroke. Therefore the approx +2% for Q rings seems to be about right, and likely a bit more for QXL. If you only run ovalised rings I don't see ths as an issue at all.
Pretty close to what I surmised a page earlier. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

The angular velocity is never constant during the course of the pedal stroke, so I wouldn’t say that. It may vary since angular velocity will vary with each single pedal stroke... But if you are not worried about that, it’s fine, as long as you get consistent numbers between sessions you can do your training just fine.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:38 am
sib wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:51 am
How are ovalized rings for out-of-the-saddle climbing?
I spend 99% of my time in the saddle on round rings.

Out of the saddle climbing for me has never been smooth with round rings because it feels like my pedal stroke wallows at bottom-dead-center. With oval rings, I get much less of that feeling of dead time between alternating peak power phases. Doesn't mean I make a habit of doing it much more often, but I definitely despise it less than with round rings.
I'd second this. From my experience with Absolute Black, oval rings tend to promote spinning at higher cadence, and as such staying in the saddle a bit more. I honestly don't notice the difference as much when stomping up hills out of the saddle at 70-80rpm, but when seated and spinning 90-110+ rpm, I can really tell the difference in how much effort it takes to get my leg back over the top of the stroke from about 8 to 2 o'clock. I personally find it's much easier to hold higher power and higher cadence and just grind up hills with oval rings than I was doing before with round rings.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.