Road Helmets, Hot Weather and Sweat

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

northwestern

by northwestern

I live in Arizona ( which is a desert for those not in the US) and I use a $10 DC Shoes skateboard helmet that I got on craigslist. I swear I never get sweat in my eyes or my sunglasses and I ride in 100+ degree weather.
Last edited by northwestern on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcorn

by dcorn

northwestern wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 pm
I live in Arizona ( which is a desert for those not in the US) and I use a $10 DC Shoes skaeboard helmet that I got on craigslist. I swear I never get sweat in my eyes or my sunglasses and I ride in 100+ degree weather.
I'll take a little sweat on my glasses so that I don't die when I eventually fall off my bike and hit my head on the ground.

northwestern

by northwestern

So you've done extensive research and concluded that skateboard helmets are less safe than cycling helmets.

RyanH

by RyanH

If it's not CPSC certified (which it probably isn't) then he doesn't need to do extensive research. Plus, skateboard helmets are designed for falling on the back of your head which you rarely do on a road bike. Different horses for different courses, so use at your own risk.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Living in the PNW means that I rarely endure truly hot weather when I'm local, but I've ridden and raced in many hot places. Cascade Classic in Bend, 40 Celsius at the start of the crit one year! Or the Okanagan area of BC, also hot AF in the summer. I have used the Headsweats thin skull caps for over 10 years now. I really like them, they keep the sweat at bay, provide a bit of UV protection and in a pinch I've found taking cold water and dousing my head provides a nice cooling effect as the water soaks into the cap.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Skateboard, wakeboard, etc. "hard hats" use a completely different foam designed to withstand repeated impacts. Cycling helmets have single-use foam that deforms once. The hard hats are better than nothing, but only just.